Humble Prediction re: Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstract_fan

I think it will be released with a year.

1) It contains "Jerusalem" - No longer in print, and his great tone poem
2) It contains, of course, "Summertime" (with Lani; that works out nicely right now)
3) It would complete the Tijuana Brass releases.
4) It happens to be a terrific album: "If I Could Read Your Mind" is sublime; "Strike Up The Band", although ironically his last song, if you're going to end the band, it's a great one.

And you're basing this on...?

Incidentally, there would still be two TJB albums left - You Smile - The Song Begins and Coney Island, which I would rather see released first.

Capt. Bacardi

Ah, just wishful thinking. I certainly would like to have the TJB albums released also, and Just You and Me etc., but the memories of hearing Jerusalem on the radio (with that blast of sound in the middle), and buying the record at E.J. Korvettes, and all that... those are Tijuana Brass memories. Not least of all, it's a really fine album.

I can't see Herb releasing all but one of the Tijuana Brass albums.

There is an interview with Herb where he says, "I wanted to get the catalog back because there were some records I wanted to get off the market." He doesn't say WHICH records those are, but since SUMMERTIME came along at perhaps the lowest point in his professional life, I'm betting that's why it's been held back.

Not that I enjoy the situation....it's a great album and deserves a release. But, great needle-drops will suffice if it doesn't happen.

Mike Blakesley said:
He doesn't say WHICH records those are, but since SUMMERTIME came along at perhaps the lowest point in his professional life, I'm betting that's why it's been held back.

...and then there's the matter of those slacks...

:D

Harry

Here's my last gasp on this topic and then I promise to leave it alone.

Summertime is a lot like "Warm 2", Warm being an an album we all love.

Exceptions:
1) "Without Her" with the overly strident crescendos
2) "To Wait For Love"; which is not exactly one of Burt's great songs

Both are great "summertime" albums.

The Sea is my Soil/Hurt So Bad: both start and stop, both have slow and fast passages; both are excellent.

Jerusalem: There is no currently in-print digital version of his great tone poem. These crescendos I love! It is worth reissuing "Summertime" on this track alone.

Marjorine/Martha My Dear: both are medium tempo, have Herb's unique rhythmic articulation and both are great arrangements

Girl Talk. If You Could Read My Mind: Both are preludes to the next more uptempo tracks, and with the same type of endings which sort of roll off; If You Could Read My Mind is wonderfully inventive as Herb gradually unfolds the melody.

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da/Darlin': Both are rock songs of great songwriters. It's good to hear the interplay between Bob and Herb on Darlin', love the rhythm of both. Both are great.

Zazueira/Summertime: Brazil-like rhythms. The latter features Lani, and some improv from Herb's horn. The latter is very much like what he is doing today. Both are great.

The Continental/The Nicest Things Happen: Don't have much to say about the former. Nicest Things boasts Herb's longest jazz solo on a Tijuana Brass record since Desafinado maybe, and it's a good one. (Very much like his playing now)

Pretty World/Montezuma's Revenge: All right, here, I'll give you "Warm" hands down.

Warm/Catch a Falling Star: But back to Summertime here, great arrangement, goes on for a while to set us for for Strike Up the Band.

To Wait For Love: Soppy! (IMHO)

Sandbox/Strike Up the Band: Two great songs. Ironically enough Strike Up The Band is the last song for the Tijuana Brass of the 60's. It's as ironically titled as "Get Back" was for the Beatles and "Darn That Dream" which was Maynard Ferguson's last recorded album song (which, by the way, he ends on a low note; Ha!)

They are both summertime albums.

He released 2 singles from this album so he must like it.

Anyway, that's all from me on this; I still have 11 months on my prediction.

You need to go to a show and hear it direct from Herb's lips - they're looking forward NOT back!

I couldn't agree more Steve!

BUT...I gotta say I would love to hear Herb & Lani do "The Nicest Things Happen". I think it could really fit nicely into what they are doing now.
Plus it has a lovely, sweet - rarely heard lyric by Cissy.

I consider it a "standard" :wink:

Note to abstract: "Get Back" was not the Beatles last recorded album!

abstract_fan said:
Ironically enough Strike Up The Band is the last song for the Tijuana Brass of the 60's.

Summertime was released in 1971, so obviously "Strike Up The Band" this could not be "the last song for the Tijuana Brass of the 60's".

Capt. Bacardi

abstract_fan said:
He released 2 singles from this album so he must like it.

Singles were released to get airplay and hopefully promote LP sales. It had nothing to do with Herb liking the album.

No, but it is from the last released album (not counting compilations of course).

Also I'm sure abstract_fan is referring to "the Tijuana Brass that was formed in, and had its heyday in, the '60s."

I like "Abstract Fan"'s comments -- I find them quite enlightening despite my fellow Mods' comments of disdain. Abstract Fan has made some interesting analogies between Warm and Summertime, some of which I've never noticed...

I'm enlightend by his tune-to-tune camparison betweeen the two -- something I've done myself with the earlier albums.

No matter whether or not Herb is looking forward or backward -- there is a demand for this music -- it's timeless.

Mr Bill
standing by for the spanking from his fellow Mods....

CherryStreet said:

Mike Blakesley said:
No, but it is from the last released album (not counting compilations of course).

Are you both thinking of Abbey Road?

Abbey Road was actually the last recorded original album, and Let It Be the last released original album. I file Abbey Road last just due to the recording date.

Get Back was a compilation album, no? I know Hey Jude was, and it collected a few singles into LP format.

Rudy said:
CherryStreet said:

Mike Blakesley said:

Are you both thinking of Abbey Road?

Abbey Road was actually the last recorded original album, and Let It Be the last released original album. I file Abbey Road last just due to the recording date.

Get Back was a compilation album, no? I know Hey Jude was, and it collected a few singles into LP format.

Get Back was the original working title for what became Let It Be.

Hey Jude was, as you note, a collection of singles and B-sides that had not been on LP in the US previously.

Aaah, that's what Get Back was. I haven't read my Beatles books in ages...I'm rusty on it all. :D

"Summertime" is toast. He didn't even want to release "Warm" — and had to be talked into it by Shout Factory...

I'm inclined to agree that ST may never see release. Aside from the fact that Randy Badazz said that ALL of the TJB's would get put out, the fact remains that it was a low seller and obviously not a favorite of Herb's. I would look for tracks from it to surface on a box set someday, though.

Herb stated at the Lansing MI show that all TJB albums would see release. It was a question posed by one of the audience members concerning future releases. And, if I am not mistaken, all of Herb's solo stuff also!! :thumbsup:

This could mean just itunes releases. IMHO itunes releases are foolish. The audiophile fans know and understand this!! :sad:

IMHO itunes releases are foolish.
Would you prefer NO releases? I would take a SUMMERTIME iTunes release over nothing at all. The recent iTunes Plus format is much better than the original format, although to me the big "minus" of iTunes is in the packaging. I like booklets!

Mike! You are correct in saying it is better than nothing at all. I like packaging, booklets, pictures, never before released info and the such!! I guess you can say we are just old school collectors when it comes to our hero. :wink:

Yep. If the albums all came out again in "Deluxe Editions" with cool new booklets featuring more pictures, I'd be right in line buying them. Well, most of them....probably wouldn't go for LONELY BULL again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom