‘I Feel You’ CD Arrived…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Sidoruk said:
There is a 15th track at i-Tunes - A Taste Of Honey - done in the style of the rest of the new album. :D

Really hope the extra track shows up on an actual CD like perhaps as a bonus track on the Japanese release.

Hate to only be able to get it in a sub-par lossy format.

Like Pan & Scan instead of glorious Widescreen. :cry:

CherryStreet said:
Steve Sidoruk said:
There is a 15th track at i-Tunes - A Taste Of Honey - done in the style of the rest of the new album. :D

Really hope the extra track shows up on an actual CD like perhaps as a bonus track on the Japanese release.

Hate to only be able to get it in a sub-par lossy format.

Like Pan & Scan instead of glorious Widescreen. :cry:

Just downloaded this from iTunes (a painless process, BTW, and my middle-aged ears can't tell lossy from flossy, and for 99 cents, how much do you expect anyway?). One word: Wow! My copy of the album is en route from Amazon so I haven't heard anything else yet, but man, this bonus track is very, very nice! "Edgy" is an overworked adjective these days, but it does describe this arrangement. But it goes far beyond that trite characterization. It's just plain nice to listen to.

I find it refreshing that Herb's wiling to revisit one of his megahits in this way, and I have to say, the man has lost nothing in technical ability since 1965's version but has instead continued to advance in all-around artistic sensibility and competence. It's a great track!

Don't hesitate to download this bonus track. You won't be disappointed!

=Mike A.

for those of you who bought herb and Lani new cd, I noticed on itunes it has the bonus song a taste of honey. so I type in herb alpert in the search and you could buy just that song for 99 cents. I just did
bob

mikeargo said:
I find it refreshing that Herb's wiling to revisit one of his megahits in this way, and I have to say, the man has lost nothing in technical ability since 1965's version but has instead continued to advance in all-around artistic sensibility and competence. It's a great track!

I like the way he reworked it for the Spanish Moon tour back in 1988, with his combo and a full symphony backing him up. He also had another twist on it when he was on his last tour with Lani and the group.

Sort of a "Joe Jackson" thing going on there (he reinvents some of his biggest hits every time he goes out on tour).

Thanks for the "Taste of Honey" Itunes heads up which is not available through Emusic. Any thoughts on why it wasn't included on the platter :confused: ?

I love the new CD. It has a very lush and heroic sound and the swingers really swing!

Any thoughts on why it wasn't included on the platter
This kind of thing has long been done to help drive sales to a new "format." When CDs were the coming thing, there were "CD bonus tracks." The same idea for iTunes.

I'm in the same boat as Mike Argo. I've ordered the album from Amazon, and it's in the shipping process, so it'll be another day or so.

But the bonus track is mine - just downloaded it from Amazon - heck, I had earned a free download from something or other, so it didn't even cost the 99 cents.

It is indeed a neat thing that Herb reinvents a song (this one in particular) over and over again. It's very much like Sergio with "Mas Que Nada".

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
This kind of thing has long been done to help drive sales to a new "format." When CDs were the coming thing, there were "CD bonus tracks." The same idea for iTunes.

That makes sense, Mike, thanks for the explanation.

pdxet2 said:
Mike Blakesley said:

That makes sense, Mike, thanks for the explanation.

That absolutely makes no sense at all Mike.

As we have said here before at ad nauseum, downloads like iTunes will clearly overtake physical CD sales by the end of the year. Clearly the format is no longer "new" nor does it need any help to spur sales. So why not put the "bonus" track on the physical CD to help spur CD sales?!?!

Very poor marketing choice IMHO. Makes no sense at all. :sad:

http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2008/02/19/report:-digital-music-download-sales-pass-cd-sales-2012

That absolutely makes no sense at all Mike.
Of course it makes sense. Think about it for a minute. It's no different than Wal-Mart getting a Garth Brooks CD with an extra song that isn't available in 'regular' stores. Is it GOOD? No. Is it good marketing? Absolutely.

Look at what's happening with our members here. Many of them have bought (or will buy) the CD. But then a lot of them will also go to iTunes and download that extra song. So Herb gets to make two sales, where with your preferred method he would have only made one.

"Makes no sense" to who? The dwindling number of people who are still buying CDs? Or the rising number of people who are downloading everything? Or the huge number of people who have never tried downloading and just need a slight push to get them to try it? Obviously, it's the first group. But marketing is about trying to reach the BIGGEST group, and which bunch do you think that is?

Makes great sense? I thought you owned a "physical" record store that sold CDs? Aren't you the one who is always bemoaning the sad state of the shortage of people who actually "drive to a store" and buy the physical CDs?

"Way to go iTunes", Mike Blakesley after all these years, is your new cheerleader?!??

Not to mention the sad fact is that as soon as something is for sale on iTunes, you can find it for free. That doesn't happen as easily with physical CDs any more.

Yes, I own a small store where CDs are sold. Guess how many CDs we have sold in the last year. It used to be in the high hundreds, now it's in the low dozens. I have NEVER SAID I LIKED THE SITUATION. I'm just telling it like it is. Welcome to the 21st century, my friend...it's not always the most pleasant place.

Mike I would agree with you about stores selling audio cds. like at best buy where I bought the new herb alpert-lani hall I feel you. I looked in the jazz and there was only one there. so I bought it. I asked the person why only one. he told me becasue with artists like herb alpert he does not sell well so you would have to go online or download it from Itunes. they rather have the newer music that sells. to me CDs sound a lot better than mp3 downloads any day.
bob

Mike Blakesley said:
Guess how many CDs we have sold in the last year. It used to be in the high hundreds, now it's in the low dozens.

My original point exactly Mike.

iTunes doesn't need any marketing or "promo" help to move product.

So why not put the the bonus track only on the physical "I Feel You" CD?

I mean really, Herb & Lani's label is Concord Records, not Concord MP3s.

why not put the the bonus track only on the physical "I Feel You" CD?
Because it would not sell one more CD with that track than it would without it. But, it WILL generate a lot of 99-cents's at iTunes.

The Cd will sell x-number of thousands all by itself, generating X thousand dollars in sales.

The extra song on iTunes will also sell x-thousands, generating x-thousand ADDITIONAL dollars. It's currently Herb's #2 selling song on iTunes. ("Rise" is #1.)

Concord Records will get a cut of every one of those iTunes sales too.

It's all about making more sales. It certainly isn't about "giving the fans what they want" or anything like that. Putting that extra song on the CD wouldn't make it sell any more than it would without it. Obviously you think otherwise, but that's where we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Doug said:
It shows up here in the U.S., either as a single purchase OR if you buy the album with digital book.

That's weird. I wonder why it doesn't appear on the direct US page link I provided????

Harry said:
But the bonus track is mine - just downloaded it from Amazon - heck, I had earned a free download from something or other, so it didn't even cost the 99 cents.

The Amazon weirdness continues. I was also just given the bonus track "A Taste Of Honey" for FREE.

The strange thing is that I have not purchased anything directly from Amazon in years! My order invoice says "promotion".

Perhaps some other folks here can try and go to Amazon (US) and download the bonus track (skip installing the proprietary downloader) and see if Amazon because of "some promotion" is giving you the download for free.

Could be a VERY GREAT NON iTunes & DRM free "FREE" promotion while it lasts!

Well, I sit here annoyed more each day with their record company, as I haven't received the cd - or even a notice of receipt for the order - and an email I sent to them yielded no help at all since they are asking me for an order number, name, etc., which obviously I don't have. So I don't have the cd. I have the amazon mp3 without ATOH but that's because I didn't realize there were two versions for download on amazon and I don't recall seeing two versions on Tuesday night when I downloaded it.

And, to top it all off, I might not be able to see their perf in Alexandria VA because my spouse may have a funeral to preside over that day, and the NY date (closer to my residence as I live in the Hudson Valley - work in DC) is unfortunately sold out. Shame because I had bought tickets for the suburban Philadelphia show for my brother for a holiday gift after I had gotten the VA tickets since I wasn't aware of the Philadelphia area date. So I may be stuck with two tickets I can't use.

If someone can suggest an approch with respect to the record company, please let me know - especially if someone knows someone (or can suggest a six degrees of separation approach)

"they say you need some roses...but roses do die...you gave me some candy, it melted, nice try...I'm not that demanding, I have simple taste, I just want a token that won't go to waste..."

da da da da da da da...

drs

thesmedman said:
I have the amazon mp3 without ATOH but that's because I didn't realize there were two versions for download on amazon and I don't recall seeing two versions on Tuesday night when I downloaded it.

Try following the links and instructions above and see if Amazon is in fact giving a single download for free promotion. Just try and grab the bonus track. Let us know.

It would be nice to confirm the promotion and share it with the A&M Community here if in fact for a limited time you can get the bonus track for free from Amazon.

So, the new CD's finally arrived. Looks like it's time to try to find an excuse to go somewhere where there will be a store that will have a copy. I'd probably better do it soon before stores stop carrying it.

Not available for free. It mifght have been their featured free download of the day when folks got it. They do that recurringly. Likely will just purchase the download for the track (but still would like to know where the CD is!)

However, just saw that there are some tables available for the NYC date.

thesmedman said:
Not available for free. It mifght have been their featured free download of the day when folks got it. They do that recurringly.

No Harry & I downloaded it on different days.

I think it might be "First Time Amazon Download Purchaser" and the 1st track is currently "free". I'd be interested to see if any other poster here who also has never purchased a download from Amazon (US) can get the track for free.

As for the track itself, real pity and shame that they left it off of a CD.
Real nice soulful take of the way they have been doing ATOH live in the TJB Medley for quite some time. A Medley that has gone unheard east of the Mississippi for also quite some time now.

Though I hear it will finally make it's east coast premiere later next week!
Enjoy the shows east coast folk & UK fly-ins!

Looking forward to Sunday night at Vibrato and hearing some more of this great new CD and ATOH live!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom