ICON (New CD Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see 'My Body Keeps Changing My Mind' tagged onto the end of the ICON track listing with the byline 'Karen Carpenter' next to it. Obviously it won't happen, but I'd love to see that song generate more listens. :)

I just noticed that Glen Campbell has 2 ICON series CD issued, one of his studio hits and the other is a Christmas ICON CD.
That is a great idea for the Carpenters, they sure have enough material to release 2 version on ICON.

http://www.universalmusicenterprises.com/icons/

scroll down about 1/2 on the right side you will see Glen Campbell's photos of the 2 ICON Cd's.
Glen Campbell is a different market altogether(from K&R).

Universal is using the ICON series as a vehicle for reissuing Glen's 1960's Christmas album-which has been long out-of-print and never available on CD.They're hoping the popular ICON package design and low price point will generate sales for an album that would otherwise not garner much interest.

K&R's Christmas albums are a totally different situation-they're the best-selling albums in their catalog,and both move a massive amount of copies every year.An ICON Christmas disc would only serve to create competition with Christmas Portrait and Christmas Collection.

Last edited:
There's yet another factor here. Comparing the ICON series with the 20th Century Masters series, we can witness that Amy Grant's complete HOME FOR CHRISTMAS album was released under the 20th Century Masters banner. At that point in time (2003), however, I believe Amy was leaving or had already left A&M. Still the precedent was set for releasing a well-selling Christmas album under a new banner.

Universal could do something like that with CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT or even the dual-CD set, CHRISTMAS COLLECTION. They could re-title that set under the ICON 2 series while still leaving the old CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT in the racks as a single disc best seller. And it need not happen this particular year - perhaps next year as they continue to expand the ICON series.

It's a way of refreshing the catalog without basically doing a thing.

Harry

There's yet another factor here. Comparing the ICON series with the 20th Century Masters series, we can witness that Amy Grant's complete HOME FOR CHRISTMAS album was released under the 20th Century Masters banner. At that point in time (2003), however, I believe Amy was leaving or had already left A&M. Still the precedent was set for releasing a well-selling Christmas album under a new banner.

Universal could do something like that with CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT or even the dual-CD set, CHRISTMAS COLLECTION. They could re-title that set under the ICON 2 series while still leaving the old CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT in the racks as a single disc best seller. And it need not happen this particular year - perhaps next year as they continue to expand the ICON series.

It's a way of refreshing the catalog without basically doing a thing.

Harry
Universal actually did a whole set of 20th Century Masters Christmas reissues in 2003-for the purpose of reviving out-of-print and slow-selling Christmas catalog titles.

Amy Grant's "Home For Christmas" did well during the 1990's-but sales slowed down dramatically by 2003.The 20th Century Masters repackaging did help to revive the album.Same situation for Vanessa Williams and Olivia Newton John,among others-slow selling Christmas albums were given the 20th Century Masters repackaging,to boost sales.

But,like Glen Campbell,Amy Grant is a totally different market from K&R.

My post didn't quite state it clearly, as it was kind of a stream-of-consciousness rambling. My idea was that they could take the dual-disc COLLECTION, since there's nothing really magical or sentimental about that set or title, and put it under the CHRISTMAS ICON banner, leaving the expanded PORTRAIT in its customary standalone, best-selling position. It would add something significant to the ICON series and possibly get people to splurge on a 2-disc set. In reality, there's not all that much more on the 2-disc than the expanded one-disc.

As for the regular ICON release, if the track listing is indeed the same as the 20th Century Masters, I think it was a fairly smart move to include what they did - and omit some significant hits. I explained my thoughts about that in an older post:

It's been noted in this thread that neither "Close To You" nor "We've Only Just Begun" are included in this release. The other two huge 'bread+butter' songs not present were the next two big singles, "Rainy Days & Mondays" and "Superstar." Plus, their first chart entry "Ticket To Ride" is also absent. So Richard was able to compile this low-priced entry without giving away the store, yet still include their two number one singles and three more top-ten hits.
-----------------------------

I thought the fact that Richard was able to come up with ten interesting, but not VITAL, tracks was pure genius. By not "giving away the store" on a budget compilation, he provided a decent intro to the group's music, whetting the appetite of the listener for more.

Harry

Here's a list of tracks that weren't included in the 'Christmas Portrait' / 'Special Edition' CD from 1984:

O Come, O Come Immanuel
1978 Overture
*Jingle Bells
*First Snowfall/Let It Snow!
*Do You Hear What I Hear?
My Favorite Things
*He Came Here For Me
*Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (single version remix)
*I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day

The tunes marked * indicate Karen's lead vocals were in place, and they were all essential. I'm sure Richard wanted people to hear his new recordings of "Nutcracker Suite", "O Holy Night", and "Medley", at the time, but those Karen leads were greatly missed. So glad he finally fixed the problem with the release of 'Collection'.

On a side note, the section of "The Nutcracker Suite" titled "Trepak" was edited out for the 'Special Edition'.

Last edited:
I really dislike the packaging on the Special Edition, there is too much crammed onto 1 disc and then some is edited or left out completely.

That list above reminds me of why I love the Time Life Christmas with the Carpenters Collection. Disc B is just all Karen from start to finish, pure magic, that voice gives me holiday goosebumps. 10 tracks....it's short but sweet and to the point. I wish MCD had been the single ver.

Disc B:
1. The First Snowfall/Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
2. He Came Here For Me
3. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
4. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day
5. Merry Christmas Darling
6. Little Altar Boy
7. I'll Be Home For Christmas
8. Christ Is Born
9. White Christmas
10. Ave Maria

Interesting that this is allegedly 10 days away and there's not a picture to be found.

Harry

Interesting that this is allegedly 10 days away and there's not a picture to be found.

Harry

Yes this is very odd....when they issued the Olivia Icon CD it was released in Oct 08 2013 and they had the track list and photo posted Sept 04 2013 so just about a month in advance. I bet Amazon forgot to update this release or it's been postponed? I'd like to think they are still searching for that once in a lifetime photo of Karen we have never seen before for the cover....

The funny thing about this is the other day I was searching google to see if the cover was showing up yet and what do I find but Harry's photoshop pic :laugh::laugh: now if that makes it's way to Amazon we are all doomed. :laugh:

Last edited:
Both John Lennon and Ringo Starr have entries in the ICON series that release on the same Sept. 9th date and both of those have cover art and track lists.

Harry

I just sent an email to Amazon, asking where is the info, inquiring minds want to know.
I'll probably get a response, which Carpenters tool are you interested in? :rolleyes:

...12 hrs and counting...

Amy Grant already has a ICON CD of her pop hits but I just noticed a new Christmas ICON CD of Amy Grant will be released Sept 30 and Amazon already has the cover art, a really nice photo of Amy I had not seen before seems to be a recent photo. I don't see why Carpenters can't also have a Christmas ICON. I already have all the songs from Amy Christmas but I'm thinking of getting it just for that awesome photo.

I don't want to speculate on the tracklist outside of making a few predictions:

It will start off with "We've Only Just Begun"
It will include the full-length version of "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"
It will include "Merry Christmas Darling" somewhere in the middle, to screw up off-season listening

One plus, the Ringo Starr Icon release includes a live version of "Yellow Submarine". Maybe we'll get a new live cut with the Carpenters? Naaah...... Just dreaming on my part.

Well, Richard most definitely has some 'live' cuts to use, but I agree we shouldn't count on him ever using them.

I feel like this is the most anticipated release of the summer....never thought I'd get so excited over a soon to be here "compilation" I'm waiting with baited breath over cover art and track listing....See how easy it is to get me excited? waiting to see what my $8.00 will bring me.....

Still no artwork out there except my own supposition.

Harry

Just received word from Universal that the Carpenters ICON release has been postponed indefinitely.

Universal set a tentative release date a few months ago,but the disc was evidently never completed or pressed.
Hence,the reason why no artwork or track listing has been available.

I will be checking with my contact at Universal periodically over the next few months to see if there is any updated or rescheduled info.

Mr J. has given the bad news in another thread. I've reposted it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom