ICON (New CD Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh! Wouldn't it be funny if "Those Good Old Dreams" turned out to be the rare LP version? Nah - never happen.

Harry

Heh! Wouldn't it be funny if "Those Good Old Dreams" turned out to be the rare LP version? Nah - never happen.

Harry

You mean the version on the Remastered Classics CDs isn't the same as the original LP version? I thought all of those were identical to the original LPs. (Wasn't that the point? LOL!)

Here is how Business Wire describes the ICON Series:
May 13, 2013
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe)
"... new single-disc collections, in its acclaimed ICON series from some of music’s most legendary artists,
with each single-disc collection featuring their biggest hits, signature tunes and fan favorites."

Reuters,March 2014,:
"With its history and vast catalog of artists, UMe’s continuing ICON series showcases the best music
from the most popular, iconic and influential artists of all time. ICON is a proven physical line and a true cross-genre success
with more than eight million copies sold in three years.
"

You mean the version on the Remastered Classics CDs isn't the same as the original LP version? I thought all of those were identical to the original LPs. (Wasn't that the point? LOL!)

Nope. There's a little synth figure toward the end of the original LP version "Those Good Old Dreams". Every iteration* on CD has had that synth figure altered to be less "whiny" as Richard later re-thought the use of them in several tunes.

*There is one place on CD where that LP version "leaked" through - it's on the UK version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1984), a very rare compilation on CD, but common on LP. There is one more place where the original synth figure appears digitally, on the DVD of GOLD, but the beginning of the song was lengthened with an edit, and the fade is shortened by a segue.

Harry

Okay. So you want to know what compilation you'd have to own to have all of the ICON songs in one place?

Well, if you own the old YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1985-US), CLASSICS VOL 2 (1987), YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (1998), 40/40 (2009-US; JP), THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION (UK), or that Japanese BEST VOL. 1 and 2, then you'll have all of the ICON songs spread over two discs.

You'd figure that all larger collections would stumble upon this set of songs, but it's not that many that do. ULTIMATE COLLECTION (NL) and COLLECTED 3-disc does, but those are really two-disc sets with an extra solo disc.

4-disc sets with these songs are both ANTHOLOGY versions and the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION. And the big 6-disc set SWEET MEMORY of course manages to include all of these songs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's remarkable is the number of compilations that DON'T feature this 11-track set of songs. Think about it: big sets like the Readers Digest releases and the first FROM THE TOP box set are missing at least one of these tracks. Even the huge Japanese SINGLE BOX doesn't have all of these songs. Usually the song that's missing is either "Those Good Old Dreams" or "This Masquerade" or "I Need To Be In Love".

Harry
...with a little track analysis, online...

Good Lord I am so ignorant to so much of these nuances...song by song... I really need to buy a new set of headphones - pull all my cds and albums together and have a listen-athon t even come close to so many of you all...

I don't have half of the compilations either. I used to buy them all as they appeared, but really like making my own - so I opt for that when I am in a specific mood...

IMHO this new release is a feeble attempt at an Iconic statement.

Those Good Old Dreams, though a lovely tune, is included and For All We Know is not? and 11 songs? Come on! You can get much more on a CD....

The crooked picture and the lack of imagination on this track list seems a hint that a real Carpenters aficionado was not in charge of this project.

Those Good Old Dreams, though a lovely tune, is included and For All We Know is not? and 11 songs? Come on! You can get much more on a CD....

I think the inclusion of "Those Good Old Dreams" and the exclusion of "For All We Know" (and "Hurting Each Other," "Goodbye to Love," "Sing" and others) was to try and balance the "coverage" across their active years. Otherwise, it could end up too 1970 - 1973 heavy.

And the 11 song format isn't about CD capacity, it's about publishing royalties and wholesale price point. Keeping a uniform number of tracks across all titles in the line, UMe keeps the publishing royalty expenses the same for every title. That is a standard practice for budget and mid-line priced product.

I think the inclusion of "Those Good Old Dreams" and the exclusion of "For All We Know" (and "Hurting Each Other," "Goodbye to Love," "Sing" and others) was to try and balance the "coverage" across their active years. Otherwise, it could end up too 1970 - 1973 heavy.

And the 11 song format isn't about CD capacity, it's about publishing royalties and wholesale price point. Keeping a uniform number of tracks across all titles in the line, UMe keeps the publishing royalty expenses the same for every title. That is a standard practice for budget and mid-line priced product.
hadn't thought about that... thanks for the insight...

I'll probably end of getting it as a Christmas gift because I love the back cover shot.

Wait Mark, I thought you were consolidating? Hee Hee :laugh:
We are a crazy bunch huh? I am guilty of buying a comp just because I love the cover art too. If I happen to see this in say a Barnes in my hands and I'm not feeling too crooked I might buy it just well because I'm crazy. :help:

We are a crazy bunch huh? I am guilty of buying a comp just because I love the cover art too. If I happen to see this in say a Barnes in my hands and I'm not feeling too crooked I might buy it just well because I'm crazy. :help:

itsA_CARPENTER_thing.jpg

:)

Harry

I still don't understand the release date. It's still listed as the 24th of December, which is a Wednesday. It seems to me that it should either be Tuesday the 23rd or Tuesday the 30th as almost all releases in the US are done on Tuesdays. The 24th is also Christmas Eve, making it even more unlikely for a release date.

Harry
ICON will be out next Tuesday-November 25. Received this confirmation from Universal.

I don't know where Amazon & CD Universe got this 12/24 date from???

Universal rushed to get this disc on the release schedule for 11/25(for the Christmas buying season)-otherwise,they would've had to postpone it until January.

Hi I'm Dutch and new to the forum today, I agree with Actorman's comments previously about the Icon release and which tracks should have been on the album. I think the tracks are totally wrong for what the album is intended for (a biggest hits package), and why are amazon.uk preselling it for £12, aren't they are supposed to be budget releases?. I notice that they have also just released the Anne Murray Christmas icon album, why oh why not the Carpenters christmas version, it would have been perfect as the Carpenters have had about 10 christmas songs released as singles over the years.

ICON will be out next Tuesday-November 25. Received this confirmation from Universal.

I don't know where Amazon & CD Universe got this 12/24 date from???

Universal rushed to get this disc on the release schedule for 11/25(for the Christmas buying season)-otherwise,they would've had to postpone it until January.

While this all sounds official, I've yet to receive any indication from any retailer or online service that ICON is really out. I've had a pre-order in since July, and there has been no shipping confirmation. They are still showing it as a December release.

Harry

Those Good Old Dreams, though a lovely tune, is included and For All We Know is not? and 11 songs? Come on! You can get much more on a CD.....

Barry, I agree with you about "Those Good Old Dreams." It sticks out like a sore thumb. This compilation already has "Touch Me When We're Dancing" from Made in America, so they already have a hit single from that era. As we've seen, Richard evidently has a soft spot for "Those Good Old Dreams." I would have preferred "For All We Know," too. Other than that, I find it to be a decent compilation.

Perhaps it all comes down to one word: Capitalism
Unless I am off-base, not only does Richard Carpenter get royalties from the
recorded performance as a member of Carpenters, but additional monies as composer of the song.

While this all sounds official, I've yet to receive any indication from any retailer or online service that ICON is really out. I've had a pre-order in since July, and there has been no shipping confirmation. They are still showing it as a December release.

Harry
ICON came out on Tuesday,11/25.CD Universe has it in stock.

Don't know what's going on with Amazon-they can't seem to get their information straight on this one.

I checked CD Universe this morning and they were, at that time, along with everyone else, listing the release date as 12-24-14.

Their listing has changed between then and now.

Harry

You said it, I don't know what's happening with Amazon period!!!!!! I wonder if that is true about Richard putting a halt on it, I hope so as the track listing for the album is all wrong. No Sing, Postman, Hurting each other, for all we know....all US Gold singles. Universal do seam to have issues with the Carpenters recordings, or is it Richard, but that's nothing new. I mean every other artist under the universal banner from ABBA to Ella Fitzgerald has had numerous deluxe editions by now. Wouldn't a deluxe version of Made in America be great, at least 17 tracks.

Wouldn't a deluxe version of Made in America be great, at least 17 tracks.

What bonus tracks would you put on it though? Tracks from VOTH and Lovelines that were already released on those albums in their own right?

Ok Harry are you going to buy the Icon CD? I would be very interested in knowing which mixes are on it and if Richard and Bernie remastered it or if it was done in house at Universal Mastering as many of the Icon CD's were remastered in house.

Scott B

I would delete Voice of the heart and loveliness, I think Richard would like that! All the tracks would end up on other albums ie Trying to get the feeling again would be a bonus on Horizon, and where do i go from here and you're the one would be on Passage. Infact I can't believe this hasn't already happened. It's about time all Carpenters albums were reissued, apart from Japan it's a long time in coming. The one's still on sale were released in the late 90's via Polygram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom