ICON (New CD Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart last night and happily saw ICON sitting on the CD rack. Priced at $7.00, they had two copies. It probably won't surprise most of you that I had one of those moments and bought both copies. :D I thought, well, I'll keep one sealed or give it as a gift. Who can resist that beautiful smile staring at you, even if it's only on a budget release of 11 tracks?

Icon-2.jpg

I was in Walmart last night and happily saw ICON sitting on the CD rack. Priced at $7.00, they had two copies. It probably won't surprise most of you that I had one of those moments and bought both copies. :D I thought, well, I'll keep one sealed or give it as a gift. Who can resist that beautiful smile staring at you, even if it's only on a budget release of 11 tracks?

Icon-2.jpg

Very nice. Can you post any info on the remixes or if it says inside who remastered this collection. Enjoy them!

Scott B

I think they did some straightening because the back doesn't look as bad as I thought. I also noticed that you get more photo on the back with the logo and such being placed on the spine instead of the bottom of the photo, kinda nice.

...also anxiously awaiting the mixing info....

Chris, I just bought it and listened to it. Mostly remixes, I'd say but it sounds great. Overall, I think it's a very nice collection. I am glad the long version of INTBIL is on it. And the full versions of Superstar and Rainy Days.

Chris, I just bought it and listened to it. Mostly remixes, I'd say but it sounds great. Overall, I think it's a very nice collection. I am glad the long version of INTBIL is on it. And the full versions of Superstar and Rainy Days.

Does it say in the credits who remastered the CD?

Thanks

Scott

I guess I'll have to check my local Walmart as Amazon lists the release date as December 25th.

Scott B

I've finally gotten home after a week-long Thanksgiving visit to Chicago. Naturally, this album arrived while I was away, so I haven't been able to give it the once over. Well, it's in my hands now so here are the details (to be added to the Resource soon).

As pictured earlier, the disc comes in a standard jewel case and has a two-page insert (just a fold-over). Inside is a track list and the credits listed below. Last page, facing the disc is just a blank gray. Other than the word ICON, there's nothing under the clear tray. The disc is a black-textured background with silver printing. "CARPENTERS" in stencil font in light blue. Title/artist/legal stuff are printed from bottom to top, while the track listing text goes from right to left, forming sort of an "L". I suppose most ICON discs look just like this.

There are a few slightly interesting choices for mixes, notably "Top Of The World" reverting back to its old 1973 version instead of the off-timed kick drum in the later remix. "Superstar" is presented in the newest 2004 remix. "We've Only Just Begun" reverts to its older 1985 remix. "Those Good Old Dreams" is still missing the synth part from the original LP. Here are the details:

ICON

ICON.jpg

Track listing and mixes used:

1. Yesterday Once More (1991 remix)c
2. Superstar (2004 SACD remix)
3. Rainy Days and Mondays (1991 remix)
4. Top of the World (1973 version)
5. This Masquerade (1990 remix)
6. Touch Me When We're Dancing
7. (They Long to Be) Close to You (1991 remix)
8. Only Yesterday (1991 remix)(single edit)
9. I Need to Be in Love (1990 remix)
10. We've Only Just Begun (1985 remix)
11. Those Good Old Dreams

Credits:

Lead vocals: Karen Carpenter
Backing vocals: Karen & Richard Carpenter

All titles arranged by Richard Carpenter

Compilation supervised by Richard Carpenter and Matt D'Amico
Assembled by Stewart Whitmore of Stephen Marcussen Mastering

Art Direction: Susan Lavoie
Design: Mike Diehl
Photos: Front cover: Harry Langdon; Back cover: Universal Music Archives
Production Manager: Beth Stempel

Find more ICON CDs from your favorite artists at universalmusicenterprises.com/icons

AMLogoSm.jpg
© 2014 A&M Records. B0020369-02

Harry

I've finally gotten home after a week-long Thanksgiving visit to Chicago. Naturally, this album arrived while I was away, so I haven't been able to give it the once over. Well, it's in my hands now so here are the details (to be added to the Resource soon).

As pictured earlier, the disc comes in a standard jewel case and has a two-page insert (just a fold-over). Inside is a track list and the credits listed below. Last page, facing the disc is just a blank gray. Other than the word ICON, there's nothing under the clear tray. The disc is a black-textured background with silver printing. "CARPENTERS" in stencil font in light blue. Title/artist/legal stuff are printed from bottom to top, while the track listing text goes from right to left, forming sort of an "L". I suppose most ICON discs look just like this.

There are a few slightly interesting choices for mixes, notably "Top Of The World" reverting back to its old 1973 version instead of the off-timed kick drum in the later remix. "Superstar" is presented in the newest 2004 remix. "We've Only Just Begun" reverts to its older 1985 remix. "Those Good Old Dreams" is still missing the synth part from the original LP. Here are the details:

ICON

ICON.jpg

Credits:

Find more ICON CDs from your favorite artists at universalmusicenterprises.com/icons

AMLogoSm.jpg

Harry

Interesting Harry as I wonder if it was a cut and paste job or did they actually remaster this release? Most of the Icon CD's in the credits say it's been remastered and list the mastering engineer. So I guess this is the first time in a while that Bernie was not involved. How does it sound?

Scott B

The disc sounds fine, as you'd expect. It's on par with the later disc releases like 40/40.

Harry

ICON

ICON.jpg

Credits:

AMLogoSm.jpg

Harry
Harry,
How does the Superstar Sacd remix differ from other versions?

Thanks for the info on the mixes, Harry. When I listened to it I was thinking that "Superstar" was the SACD remix, but wasn't completely sure. It's interesting that they used the SACD mix of "Superstar" and didn't pull from the SACD for "Top of the World". I think that particular mix of "Top of the World" that appeared on the SACD was sensational. It surprises and disappoints me that it hasn't been the mix of choice for subsequent compilations.

Thanks for the info on the mixes, Harry. When I listened to it I was thinking that "Superstar" was the SACD remix, but wasn't completely sure. It's interesting that they used the SACD mix of "Superstar" and didn't pull from the SACD for "Top of the World". I think that particular mix of "Top of the World" that appeared on the SACD was sensational. It surprises and disappoints me that it hasn't been the mix of choice for subsequent compilations.

Yes I also love that mix of 'Top of the World' and wished they had used it on other comps.

Scott B

Why so many remixes, I don't think any other artist re-does their songs so many times. I have so many different versions now of 'I won't last a day without you', 'I need to be in love' & 'Top of the world' to mention a few. I bought the Dutch 'Collected' album earlier this year and was shocked when I heard the original recordings that are used on that album. I forgot how stripped back some of their 70's songs were. The original version of 'Won't last a day' almost sounds like a demo compared to the way we hear it now.

I'm amazed (and glad) they didn't put "Calling Occupants" or "Merry Christmas Darling" on it. Nice song list. I think I would have taken out "Those Good Old Dreams" and put in "Ticket To Ride" or "Goodbye to Love."

The variety of remixes makes it appear like they just had a trainee go to the computer, click on whatever track he spotted first and went with it. Probably not compiled by any sort of Carpenters expert.

Probably not compiled by any sort of Carpenters expert.

The credits say that the compilation was supervised by Richard Carpenter and Mike D'Amico, so I would assume that Richard had some say in which mixes were used. I'm sensing that Richard has lately been adopting a "less-is-more" approach with the remixes. The 2004 "Superstar" was a modern return to the way the track originally sounded, and I think he's sensed that a lot of people weren't crazy about some of the "heavy bass and kick drum" re-do's, so he's gone back to a few simpler '85 and '73 remixes, while keeping the best of the '90/'91 remixes.

Harry

So then RC is semi-retired? If he was involved with ICON maybe he's dabbling again?

The credits say that the compilation was supervised by Richard Carpenter and Mike D'Amico, so I would assume that Richard had some say in which mixes were used. I'm sensing that Richard has lately been adopting a "less-is-more" approach with the remixes. The 2004 "Superstar" was a modern return to the way the track originally sounded, and I think he's sensed that a lot of people weren't crazy about some of the "heavy bass and kick drum" re-do's, so he's gone back to a few simpler '85 and '73 remixes, while keeping the best of the '90/'91 remixes.

Harry
Richard selected the tracks,mixes and cover photos for ICON.

Richard redid this latest "Superstar" remix to eliminate the synthesizers.

So then RC is semi-retired? If he was involved with ICON maybe he's dabbling again?
Richard is retired from the music business-but he will always be involved in any compilation request from Universal.

May I ask, is track 10 on this compilation CD of "We've Only Just Begun" the version that has the channel separation of the piano on the left speaker? in other words the same version as on the 3 CD set named Carpenters Collected digipak release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom