ICON (New CD Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the cover shot to the rear side of the package... Aside from the tilt, I think they both look great... Wondering if this shot was the inspiration to the Christmas Portrait painting...??

I think the rear shot came from the MIA photo shoots... Richard's hair looks too puffy and his eyes look like he is having an allergy flair-up...

Also - I may be in the minority - but the Kind Of Hush photographs were never my favorites either... Rich looked good - but it seemed - particularly, on that inside sleeve, that Karen needed a new hair stylist... Coming off those spectacular Horizon shots, these were lacking... IMHO...

I thought they both looked out of sorts on A Kind of Hush. That is why I never gave too much concern for they both looked thin and withdrawn, but the music was great. I just thought it was from all the touring. Even the People magazine that came out around the same time had pictures that showed them thin, but vibrant. Their music was so good that I thought they were certainly ones who could handle the pressure. I guess that is part of the being perfect persona that was part of their drive for success? I certainly felt like their number 1 fan in my efforts to defend their music selections and was proud that they were apart from the norm dabbling in all styles, while at the same time, placing the fans as a primary focus with all the touring and special music selections, including the Christmas songs. The tilt in the picture was probably created with thee illusion of family bonding of inner dependence between both of them. At least that was my illusion.

I'm a bit 'late to the party' on this one - as ever!

Is it worth getting from any other point of view that it is a new release?

I think it's also from the same session as the photo that was used on the grey cover for the 1978 Canadian "The Carpenters Collection" 2-LP TV release, as I've got a black-and-white version of that photo (embossed from the photographer's studio), and aside from Richard's jacket (which could easily have been switched during the session), the shots are nearly identical.

I've been avoiding buying it because I already have the same songs elsewhere, but it's not like it's super expensive and I'd rather the logo was used.
Are there any liner notes? Anything written to accompany the release?

Noticed that the 1985 LP Yesterday Once More (EMI) has this Icon photo on the inside Jacket, and Karen is 'tilted'.
Noticed that the 1985/1995 DVD Yesterday Once More (Universal) has the Icon photo centered bottom-back, tilted
and,
reversed !
(Karen is to Richard's Left).

Noticed that the 1985 LP Yesterday Once More (EMI) has this Icon photo on the inside Jacket, and Karen is 'tilted'.
Noticed that the 1985/1995 DVD Yesterday Once More (Universal) has the Icon photo centered bottom-back, tilted
and,
reversed !
(Karen is to Richard's Left).
Hey Gary!

It's frustrating when an "iconic" photograph is tilted, reversed, and otherwise misrepresented... All that's left is the Warhol treatment!

The 'Icon' photograph also appears on the 40th Anniversary Box Set,
it is in the Voice Of The Heart Booklet, where Richard Carpenter dates it
as November 4,1977. The duo is standing,with Karen tilting in towards Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom