If you were recommending where to get started...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must Hear This Album

So I’ve been prosthelytizing Carpenters music with a friend at work, and he recently indicated he wanted to dig more deeply than the hits collection (note: he’s my age, but he grew up on West Coast hip-hop, so...). He said he wanted to pick up three albums over the weekend and asked me where he should begin, which got me to thinking about our recent listmania on the forum, and I thought it might be an interesting topic.

So if you were coaching-up a friend on which three albums to pick up from Carpenters’ catalogue, three albums that would demonstrate their breadth and impact, while not scaring folks away with left-turns, nor completely satiating their appetites for the multi-harmonies (leaving them curious for more...), which three would they be and why?

Close To You: While only their second album, it’s probably the last one with any credible claim to a “rock” sound, and it also happens to be one of their best-loved, holding two of their most popular singles as well as favorite “deep cuts.”

Tan Album: Yes, it has some monster hits, but, start-to-finish, demonstrates the duo at the height of their cultural dominance. The Bacharach/David medley is a hidden treasure.

Horizon: Not only their best, original album cover, but the album demonstrates Karen’s evolving instrument and is a great example of how they would sound on the later albums (after they jettisoned the artsy, old-fashioned chamber-pop of the first few albums).

A Song For You, Now & Then, and Horizon. I feel that these are the 3 best, with Carpenters as a close runner-up. Here is why:

A Song For You - hallmark album that perfectly represents the overdubbed sound, a mixture vocal leads, plus a couple of older tracks ("Crystal Lullaby", "Rode Ode","Flat Baroque".

Horizon - the second hallmark album, which shows the maturity of the duo. Stretches beyond normal sounds, and into unique songs like "I Can Dream, Can't I?"

Now & Then - this was the first album I heard by Karen and Richard, and also contains my favorite song ("Yesterday Once More") so it may be a bias. I loved the combination of vocal leads, the playfulness, and yet a few serious cuts ("This Masquerade", "I Can't Make Music").

A&M/Universal already made this easy by packaging the duo's three "core" albums in a box set. CHRONICLES contains the Remastered Classics versions of CLOSE TO YOU, CARPENTERS, and A SONG FOR YOU. As a three-album package, you couldn't ask for more. Many, many bonafide big hits and the some of the best of their album tracks - and even a cover picture that doesn't do a dis-service!

41AJMMMKSGL._SY450_.jpg

Carpenters - Chronicles - Amazon.com Music »

Harry

A&M/Universal already made this easy by packaging the duo's three "core" albums in a box set. CHRONICLES contains the Remastered Classics versions of CLOSE TO YOU, CARPENTERS, and A SONG FOR YOU. As a three-album package, you couldn't ask for more. Many, many bonafide big hits and the some of the best of their album tracks - and even a cover picture that doesn't do a dis-service!

41AJMMMKSGL._SY450_.jpg

Harry
I have to admit, @Harry, I almost went here, too, but I “needed” to include a “later” sounding album, to round-out the recommendation. I vacillated, though...

I would have to suggest how I started:
The first one I got was Christmas Portrait, from a co-worker's recommendation; stating that this was the best Christmas album he ever heard.
I assuredly agreed.
The second one I got was Voice Of The Heart. This is the one that made me appreciate the talent that I had been neglecting for so many years,
even though I obtained nearly every single of theirs up to this point, I could never commit to purchasing a full studio album.
I believe I followed with Close To You. This one familiarized me with their earliest work, which made me quickly obtain Ticket To Ride and the "Tan Album".
Those 3 albums (along with A Song For You) are my absolute favorites, as I have always remained partial to their earliest days as being my favorite period.

41AJMMMKSGL._SY450_.jpg

Harry
Yes, a wonderful choice. As I prefer their earliest period the most. A Song For You is their best all-around album (in my opinion).

I would have to suggest how I started:
The first one I got was Christmas Portrait, from a co-worker's recommendation; stating that this was the best Christmas album he ever heard.
I assuredly agreed.
The second one I got was Voice Of The Heart. This is the one that made me appreciate the talent that I had been neglecting for so many years,
even though I obtained nearly every single of theirs up to this point, I could never commit to purchasing a full studio album.
I believe I followed with Close To You. This one familiarized me with their earliest work, which made me quickly obtain Ticket To Ride and the "Tan Album".
Those 3 albums (along with A Song For You) are my absolute favorites, as I have always remained partial to their earliest days as being my favorite period.
Had we been including compilation albums, I would've said "The Singles 1969-1973" and "The Singles 1974-1978", as those, with "Christmas Portrait Special Edition" were how I was introduced to the Carpenters.

Easy for me, Close To You, A Song for You. Followed closely, if they want, by Horizon.

Width, breadth, depth, strength.

Then live excerpts. Or live first, then albums? Depends on potential new listener! Drummer? Musician? Anyway!

Funnily enough, yesterday I was suggesting some Carpenters albums to a good online friend that wants to get into The Carpenters. I ended up suggesting Close To You, Horizon, and the Tan Album

I did make a 'mental note' that my 20-something niece
began collecting Carpenters Vinyl only after hearing me play
Little Altar Boy from Old-Fashioned Christmas LP.

She was--at that point-- familiar with the monster hits.

Thus, although I neglected to include Christmas Albums
in my three choices, the best of those two Christmas LP's
encapsulate Carpenters' at their best !

However, I would never recommend either Christmas CD as initiation to
Carpenters'
Albums.....

^ I would never recommend their Christmas albums to start off either. I feel like it should be a large variety of sounds. Maybe the Christmas albums can stay for after really getting into them...

I think Christmas Portrait was the first Carpenters album I ever heard, when I was very very young. I remember liking Karen's voice and phrasing of "It's Christmas Time".

I'd go with the Close To You, Carpenters, and A Song For You. The Chronicles set is ideal for beginners wanting the perfect introduction to their music.

The latter of the three is just perfect in every way. Chock full of hits, some beautiful album tracks (not least the title track) and that lovely segue of the last three tracks ending with the haunting bookend that gives me goosebumps every time.

There was a time when Made In America was my favourite album but it's now A Song For You by a mile.

^ I would never recommend their Christmas albums to start off either. I feel like it should be a large variety of sounds. Maybe the Christmas albums can stay for after really getting into them...

I remember that "Christmas Portrait: Special Edition" as my third Carpenters album after both Singles collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom