Interesting South African find

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyCurrie

Industry Member
Just acquired a South African album titled "A Taste of Herb" with the catalogue number AMP 2087 and a gatefold sleeve with pictures of all of Herb's albums. It turns out to be a commercially released pressing of SP 19004, issued in the USA as the DJ Sampler. An unusual item!
$(KGrHqJ,!g4FBn7DgM8qBQlloOiSp!~~60_57.JPG

That picture makes me wonder why it seems that albums and singles with picture sleeves from other territories often use artwork that is at best, suspect. Look at that picture. It's overly contrasty and his expression gives Herb the appearance of a world-weary fugitive who's escaped from prison.

Harry

That picture makes me wonder why it seems that albums and singles with picture sleeves from other territories often use artwork that is at best, suspect. Look at that picture. It's overly contrasty and his expression gives Herb the appearance of a world-weary fugitive who's escaped from prison.

Harry
I noticed the same thing Harry i also think this photo makes Herb Look much older and aged than he really was just my opinion. I also suspect other territories tend to make photos of Herb seem to look less like himself. In my opinion. It Really Makes one Wonder

They often don't get "official" art from the record label, so they make do with what they can find. It could be a (bad) copy of a copy, and the foreign label's art department may have no better skills than cutting things out with scissors and gluing them to a board for photographing.

Herb looks like a heavy from a spaghetti western there. :D

I have to say that, as sleeve designs go, that one's a real bummer. A&M South Africa had obviously knocked this out as a sampler (hence the R2.99 sticker - that was cheap) and used the front of the sleeve to promots the entire catalogue of full price albums. But as a piece of design, it's perhaps a perfect example of all the things NOT to do!! (Especially the bizarre mixture of misaligned text and weird unmatched fonts......)

You never mentioned the track list. What's on it?

Just acquired a South African album titled "A Taste of Herb" with the catalogue number AMP 2087 and a gatefold sleeve with pictures of all of Herb's albums. It turns out to be a commercially released pressing of SP 19004, issued in the USA as the DJ Sampler. An unusual item!
$(KGrHqJ,!g4FBn7DgM8qBQlloOiSp!~~60_57.JPG

I have this LP as well, but there's no country of origin listed. I always assumed it was either from the UK or Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom