"It Came Upon a Midnight Clear": Is that all Richard?

Tony

I'd always assumed "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" was comprised solely of Richard's voice. But as I was listening to Christmas Portrait for the first time since last year, my ears caught what sounded like Karen singing a part. It's noticeable in several places, but especially on the word "earth". Is that indeed Karen's voice, or is it simply Richard doing an impressive imitation?

Is that indeed Karen's voice, or is it simply Richard doing an impressive imitation?

Some time ago Harry posted the audio for Richard's solo song When Time Was All All We Had with the pitch changed and it sounded just like Karen.

I'd always assumed "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" was comprised solely of Richard's voice. But as I was listening to Christmas Portrait for the first time since last year, my ears caught what sounded like Karen singing a part. It's noticeable in several places, but especially on the word "earth". Is that indeed Karen's voice, or is it simply Richard doing an impressive imitation?

Nope! All Richard...(8) parts doubled for a total of (16) voices :)

Some time ago Harry posted the audio for Richard's solo song When Time Was All All We Had with the pitch changed and it sounded just like Karen.
Really? that's be a fascinating listen- as would Harry doing the same thing to I'm Still Not Over You for example.

I thought it was Richard singing all the parts, but he sounds uncannily like Karen on a few of those notes.

Nope! All Richard...(8) parts doubled for a total of (16) voices :)
An amazing vocal (and technical) feat - but it would have sounded much better and less mechanical (and thus more realistic) if Richard and Karen had sung it together, one part each undoubled...just a thought...

Two voices vs. 16? I think that would have ruined it, but that's just me.

The Carpenters were modern recording artists who liked to do studio work more than they liked live performing. And, their multitracked voices were the very foundation of their sound. So using the "tech" to get the 16 voice arrangement was just something in Richard's toolbag. If he did it your way it wouldn't sound like a Carpenters song.

Two voices vs. 16? I think that would have ruined it, but that's just
Actually, two voices was one too many - how about if Karen had sung this by herself, a cappella?

So using the "tech" to get the 16 voice arrangement was just something in Richard's toolbag. If he did it your way it wouldn't sound like a Carpenters song.
No, but it would have sounded like the Carpenters...

If Richard insisted on singing this and if he wanted an "ensemble sound" he should have hired one - say a group of young people from Cal St Long Beach...it would have sounded real, and not like something AI created...

Actually, two voices was one too many - how about if Karen had sung this by herself, a cappella?

No, but it would have sounded like the Carpenters...

If Richard insisted on singing this and if he wanted an "ensemble sound" he should have hired one - say a group of young people from Cal St Long Beach...it would have sounded real, and not like something AI created...
I don’t think it sounds anything like the AI examples we’ve heard lately. And I think he recorded this after Karen died so she couldn’t have sung it.

I don’t think it sounds anything like the AI examples we’ve heard lately. And I think he recorded this after Karen died so she couldn’t have sung it.

I think the point that JohnFB is making is that Richard’s diction, pronunciation and delivery is so mechanical that it sounds like it was created by AI. And I have to agree. That’s what killed the Time album IMHO.

I think the point that JohnFB is making is that Richard’s diction, pronunciation and delivery is so mechanical that it sounds like it was created by AI. And I have to agree. That’s what killed the Time album IMHO.
I find it quite enjoyable, have listened to it on repeat many times during the holidays. The vocal arrangement is amazing and quite an accomplishment. It sounds nothing at all like mechanical sounds, or Time for that matter,
to me. I have some of your same feelings about the diction in places on the Time album. There are some things that bother me there (first verse of Calling Your Name Again as an example.) But to me this isn’t the same at all.

Back
Top Bottom