Janis Hansen and Karen Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Ealey

Folks I'm new and this is my first post, but do any of these ladies ever visit this forum from time to time? I'm Myspace friends with Karen Phillip, but it's been almost a year since she's been active. I most interested in learning more about Janis as she's the one lady I know the least about (except what wiki says). I've been a Brasil '66 fan since the late 60's and have pretty much worn out my circa 70 Greatest Hits vinyl. Thank you!

Dale, welcome to the Forum. Though we can't claim any visits from the members of the various Sergio Mendes aggregations (save for the late Claudio Slon and composer Paula Stone one time), we do have some folks here who've been in touch with some of these members. Our "Brasil Nut" hasn't been heard from much lately, but he's in pretty close contact with Sergio and Gracinha.

As for your vinyl - well, they're pretty plentiful, and virtually everything Sergio has made it to CD somewhere or other in the world.

Harry

What was the story with Paula Stone? The "Stillness" album was the only thing I saw her listed on - did she talk about that project at all and what else she's done?

Paula Stone joined up on the old A&M Corner site before the 2002 changeover to this style of message board. I barely remember what she posted, but it was a story about the first performance of her song off of STILLNESS by Sergio & Co. Something about her being backstage (?).

Harry

I always did wonder what happened to her. Her two tunes on Stillness were really good -- that's quite an achievement, to have the album titled after your song AND have a second song ("Righteous Life") released as a single!

I think Paula disappeared because someone claimed she wasn't the "real" Paula because she spelled Brasil 66 with a "z". :rolleyes: (At least that's my recollection). Sergio had her signed to an exclusive publishing deal for a year or so and there was an announcement of an upcoming album he was supposed to produce, but it evidently never materialized. Speaking of Sergio produced material--has anyone ever found the Atlantic album by Angelo (Hey, Look at the Sun). I have a 45 of the Sergio produced single but have never been able to find the album.

P.S. I've had correspondence with both Janis and her husband through the years. They continue to market their Bible Stories Adventures series. Janis' husband had a really interesting background, including a lot of producing.

I think Paula disappeared because someone claimed she wasn't the "real" Paula because she spelled Brasil 66 with a "z". :rolleyes: (At least that's my recollection). Sergio had her signed to an exclusive publishing deal for a year or so and there was an announcement of an upcoming album he was supposed to produce, but it evidently never materialized. Speaking of Sergio produced material--has anyone ever found the Atlantic album by Angelo (Hey, Look at the Sun). I have a 45 of the Sergio produced single but have never been able to find the album.

No to that release, but I had the Sergio produced album by Macondo - it wasn't an 'earth shaker.'

It can't be as disappointing as "Ouro de Manaus", the Sergio-produced 1988 album by the minimally talented Yasuko Agawa.

It might be interesting to compile a list of Sergio produced material. There's quite a bit, though it's hard for me to remember all of it. I know I have the Manfredo Fest 45s on A&M which never materialized into an album, and there's the Gilberto Gil album on Elektra. Others are lurking in my memory somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom