Japanese Single Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sets arrived this morning (I ordered two, numbers #000163 / #000168). True that, the box is beautiful, and so much attention to detail. I will begin listening to the discs tonight!

Harry thanks for the reply, your right I just checked "Christmas Collection" and it is the same distortion, that really bothers me so, it almost sounds like Karen was too close to the mic during recording of this song. Your right though on the German Christmas Portrait it is pretty tamed down and not as evident almost unnoticable. The reason I probably caught this so quickly is because I really play my German Christmas Portait CD the most during the holiday and when I heard Disc 28 of Silent Night I went what the heck is that distortion.

Terrible in a way that such a beautiful song by Karen is being mass produced on the "Christmas Collection" being sold everywhere during the holidays and people hear that. Richard should have fixed that distortion on that track before pressing.

I hope we see a re-do of the CHRISTMAS COLLECTION sometime in the future. Funny, we were so thrilled to get it when it was finally released on CD, and now we want the old mixes again! Crazy, aren't we?

I got mine today! It's so beautiful! The only thing I have qualms with is the fact I have to use a pen or a key to get the last few mini 45s out of the squares. I wish they had made it bigger for that purpose alone. I wasn't lucky enough to get a really low number, but it's not too bad at #260 (I believe.)

I'm gonna put off listening to it for awhile because I don't want to put those tiny CDs in my iMac and have them jam up in there. I'm gonna wait til I get my speakers fixed and then play them through my Home Theater System.

Does anybody have any idea exactly how many copies of this set were released?

So I am a little confused about Disc 24. So everything is going pretty much in order here, I'm listening to the single of "All you get from love is a love song" released in Sept 1977 from Passage, then I get to the B side and "Eve" starts to play, I'm thinking is this a mistake?

Didn't the US version of this 45 contain, I Have You as the b side. Anyone can shed any light on why we have "Eve" on the Japan 45? Did Eve ever appear on a US 45? So would this Japan single of Eve be the album version? It sure does sound good on this Japan singles set.

If you really want to hear how Karen matured in her vocals listen to this 45. The difference is amazing.

Chris

That is correct, 'Eve' was the b-side to this single. It's listed and reviewed as such in the earlier posts on this set :wink:

Stephen

Actually mistake was the wrong word to use, what I meant was that I found it kinda odd that a single would be released to DJ's to play with a recording from 1977 and then back it with a recording from 1969. How many DJ's would really play something like that? Was it maybe to spark more interest in the earlier album?

Based on the numbers given out in this thread:

# 000430 David
# 000432 no1kandrfan
# 000858 Chris-An Ordinary Fool
# 000175 Harry
# 000086 CarpenterToYou
# 000163 Chris May
# 000168 Chris May
# 000260 raz42289

It appears that the numbers dip below 100, so there could be a "000001", and the highest we've seen is Chris-An Ordinary Fool's "000858". So, for sure, I'd say that there are 1000 sets likely. We'll have to see if any more chime in with numbers outside that range.

Harry

Harry said:
Based on the numbers given out in this thread:

# 000430 David
# 000432 no1kandrfan
# 000175 Harry
# 000086 CarpenterToYou
# 000163 Chris May
# 000168 Chris May
# 000260 raz42289

It appears that the numbers dip below 100, so there could be a "000001", and the highest we've seen is Chris-An Ordinary Fool's "000858". So, for sure, I'd say that there are 1000 sets likely. We'll have to see if any more chime in with numbers outside that range.

Harry

Richard typically gets the first 10(ish) copies, with "promo, not for sale" on them, and to my knowledge, they are numbered as well. I am very curious as to the total number of pressings!?!?

Sakura has the set maybe not sure what # though and I'm sure Yuka has the set wonder what # her's is?

Hopefully more will chime in. I was a little suprised my set # was so high considered what everyone eles's was and I ordered about the same time. I'm sure that the set is also available elsewhere too except CD Japan and Amazon jp right so they could have diff #'s too?

I will be able to add my number come Monday, as I got a note from the postie today to say it's ready at the post office for collection. Yipee! I also ordered 'By Request' as a little something extra.

Will post my findings Monday :)

Stephen

Mine is #566. I pre-ordered this on the first day that Amazon.JP made the page. They didn't delete my order and mine was delivered on the release day.

I cannot recall well, how we knew how many copies of 35th box were released. Peter got the answer from Yuka?

After 35th box was released, we posted #. I remember Chris and Laura posted #800 and something. And someone posted #1126. Were there any members who posted over #1000 other than #1126?

Sakura

raz42289 said:
The only thing I have qualms with is the fact I have to use a pen or a key to get the last few mini 45s out of the squares. I wish they had made it bigger for that purpose alone.
When I received the box, I placed narrow letter note at bottom of each 4-divider, so I can pull the end of the letter note and discs easily pop up. :)

Sakura

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Actually mistake was the wrong word to use, what I meant was that I found it kinda odd that a single would be released to DJ's to play with a recording from 1977 and then back it with a recording from 1969. How many DJ's would really play something like that? Was it maybe to spark more interest in the earlier album?

Was B side of American release "All You Get from Love Is a Love Song" "I Have You"? "I Have You" was B side for "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" just before the release of "All You Get from Love Is a Love Song". So they couldn't chose "I Have You".
It may be that they chose B side song from songs which would never been released as single than songs which DJ play.
See "I Won't Last A Day Without You".

And 45 won't pay than LP. So they might choose Richard's song. :rolleyes:

# 000001-0000010 or 20 Richard
# 000430 David
# 000432 no1kandrfan
# 000175 Harry
# 000086 CarpenterToYou
# 000163 Chris May
# 000168 Chris May
# 000260 raz42289
# 000566 Sakura

carry on.

Just something I noticed today on Disc 27, "Mr Guder" b side on Japan 45 single.

The version that appears on Disc 27 is not the same version that appears on the US 45. I have 2 U.S. singles with Mr Guder, 1 is a White Label Promo and the other is the standard stock both containing Mr Guder. On both of these U.S. 45's Mr Guder is edited and stops at approx 2:35, it stops shortly after Richard and Karen start the ba da ba da ba da and it fades out it never even gets to the familar.....please play your game etc....

I always thought the US single was strange when it cut off like that since I am so use to the album version.

Mine was succesfully collected from the post office today!! It's #000258!

Review to follow :). I haven't had the official opening ceremony yet!

Stephen

Congrats Stephen - Gibraltar joins the rest of the world! Film at 11.

:)

I'm in the process of dubbing all of the singles in the box to three CD-Rs. I did the first 11 on one CD-R last week, and did the second one earlier today. The first one topped out at around 67:00, and the second one came in three seconds short of the 80-minute CD-R limit at 79:54.

I've been allowing a three second dead space between the end of a track 2 and the beginning of the next disc. I'm hoping that the timing will work out on the third disc since the later tracks tend to be longer. My original plan was to "fix" the wrong mixes on the "Ave Maria" disc, but I think I'll transfer them exactly as they are. It's not like I don't have the correct original tracks on the German CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT, so I'll transfer the tracks exactly as they appear on the set.

That way when questions arise as to what mix is where, I won't have to disturb all of the little CDs in the box set to find out.

Harry

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Just something I noticed today on Disc 27, "Mr Guder" b side on Japan 45 single.

The version that appears on Disc 27 is not the same version that appears on the US 45. I have 2 U.S. singles with Mr Guder, 1 is a White Label Promo and the other is the standard stock both containing Mr Guder. On both of these U.S. 45's Mr Guder is edited and stops at approx 2:35, it stops shortly after Richard and Karen start the ba da ba da ba da and it fades out it never even gets to the familar.....please play your game etc....

I always thought the US single was strange when it cut off like that since I am so use to the album version.

I have a bit of an answer, based on the evidence in the box set. "Mr. Guder" appears as the b-side to "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" in the Japanese singles world. From the paper insert housed inside the picture sleeve of the mini-CD, the timing is reprinted exactly as it would have appeared on the original 45, so since the timing here is given as 3:18, we can conclude that the original Japanese 45 had the full album version of "Mr. Guder".

The short American version appeared much earlier in the scheme of things, way back as the flipside to "Merry Christmas Darling". It's an edit of the track with an early fade bringing the timing down to 2:35. I suppose the reason could have been that since CLOSE TO YOU was the current album at the time that they didn't want to "give away the whole store" by including yet another full track from the album as a b-side, hence the early fade. It's unlilkely it was done for radio, since I don't think many stations were playing "Mr. Guder" either from the single or as an album track.

Harry

Harry, I am always impressed with your background knowledge.
What a gift you and so many others are to this forum. Thanks again.

mstaft said:
Harry, I am always impressed with your background knowledge.
What a gift you and so many others are to this forum. Thanks again.

Thank you!

I try...

Harry

Harry said:
I'm in the process of dubbing all of the singles in the box to three CD-Rs. I did the first 11 on one CD-R last week, and did the second one earlier today. The first one topped out at around 67:00, and the second one came in three seconds short of the 80-minute CD-R limit at 79:54.

I've been allowing a three second dead space between the end of a track 2 and the beginning of the next disc. I'm hoping that the timing will work out on the third disc since the later tracks tend to be longer. My original plan was to "fix" the wrong mixes on the "Ave Maria" disc, but I think I'll transfer them exactly as they are. It's not like I don't have the correct original tracks on the German CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT, so I'll transfer the tracks exactly as they appear on the set.Harry

Bringing back up an older topic. I finally got some time this holiday weekend to get back to my Singles Box set, I've been wanting to dub this to CD-R's and finally got around to doing just that. I found the easiest way for me to do this was using iTunes, since I wanted these in my ipod anyway and at the same time iTunes allows you to choose convert to WAV file (uncompressed) this is the route I went. This way there is no loss in quality and I get the exact same sound. Of course each song ends up being a huge size but at least each song is still a bit rate of 1411 kbps which is what I wanted anyway. Doing it this way I ended up with over 2 GB folder containing the Japan Singles. Because I wanted no loss in sound I ended up with 4 CD-R's. If I had more time I could have worked it so I had about the same amount of songs on each CD, but I took the easier way and just dubbed them to CD in how many I could get on each CD with the 4th having less than 10 tracks. I kept them all in the exact order. It also made it easier since iTunes read the input mini CD and knew what the titles were, it even knew some were the edited version and titled them correctly. The only thing it didn't do was create the artwork as it would when it normally reads a CD you input, but I imagine that is because of it being a box set and Japan 45 covers would be hard to have done correctly through iTunes, I'm working on importing the covert art for each 45 into my iTunes so that it shows on my iPod as the song plays. But anyway I am really pleased at how it all turned out and now I have the best of both worlds being able to listen in my car on the CD-R's and on the go with my iPod. Here is what I ended up with:

Carpenters Japanese Single Box (CDR'S)
Disc 1 Ticket to Ride through Druscilla Penny (22 Tracks)
Disc 2 Sing through Love Me For What I Am (18 Tracks)
Disc 3 Kind of Hush through The Wedding Song (20 Tracks)
Disc 4 Those Good Old Dreams through When You've Got What it Takes (6 tracks)

...whose PC got a workout this weekend...

I attempted to get mine onto three discs at an even 22 tracks each (eliminating the second "Merry Christmas Darling" on the third disc which was an exact repeat)

The first disc came in at somewhere around 66 minutes, under-utilizing the 80 minute CD-R. The second one timed out real close to the 80 minute limit, and unfortunately the third went over.

During my recording process on the third disc, my recorder for some reason didn't pick up any audio on "Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)" so I stopped it in progress and went on to the next track, so it's really missing that one song totally. And I still eliminated "Merry Christmas Darling" and there was barely time left to finish the disc. I'll have to attemp a re-do on that one, tightening up the space in-between songs.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom