JFK & BOSSA NOVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

As we approach the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination, it is well worth noting that President Kennedy and wife Jackie were noted for fostering the arts between 1961-1963. A prime example was the passage of Public Law 87-256 on September 21, 1961. The law's overall aim was to promote international educational and cultural exchange programs. This law led to State Department sponsored tours of Latin America, where U.S. musical artists would serve as cultural ambassadors. The U.S. sure hit the jackpot during the Kennedy administration, as American musicians discovered Bossa Nova music in Brazil during these cultural exchange visits and would later import these sounds to America.

There were two prominent State Department sponsored tours to Brazil, which led to the awareness and later huge popularity of Bossa Nova in the U.S. In 1961 the Charlie Byrd Trio toured Brazil. Their discovery of Bossa Nova left such an impression that upon their return to the U.S., Byrd and Stan Getz recorded in March 1962 the Bossa Nova influenced album "Jazz Samba" which went to #1 on the Billboard album chart. In 1962 the Paul Winter Sextet toured Brazil, and on November 19, 1962 they were invited to perform Bossa Nova at the White House with Jackie Kennedy in the audience. This created a lot of buzz and publicity for Bossa Nova in the U.S.

In rapid succession, on November 21, 1962 there was a Bossa Nova at Carnegie Hall concert featuring Tom Jobim, Joao Gilberto and Luis Bonfa and others. On December 28, 1962 there was the first national television broadcast featuring Bossa Nova music on the CBS Eyewitness. The show was entitled "The New Beat." I saw this show as a 13 year old and can trace my love of Brazilian music to having first seen this program. I have a link to the entire show below. Included is a gem of a segment where Jobim and Gerry Mulligan banter about Bossa Nova and cool jazz and then perform One Note Samba. There are also clips of the Carnegie Hall concert and Bossa Nova at the White House. Then in 1963, Getz, Joao and Astrud Gilberto and Jobim got together and recorded an album with the monster hit The Girl From Ipanema and as they say the rest is history.

But the surge of popularity of Bossa Nova in the U.S. and worldwide can be traced back to those State Department sp0nsored cultural tours of Brazil. So thanks a million President Kennedy and rest in peace.

http://www.jobim.org/jobim/handle/2010/4405

Very informative & well-written post.I've been a Bossa Nova fan for years-never would've figured there was a link between JFK & Bossa Nova.

On an interesting and ironic side note which this brought to mind, Sergio and Brasil '66 appeared before Mrs. Lyndon Johnson in April, 1967. According to my 1967 Michigan State Fair program (at which I first saw and met them, but that's another story all together)...."In April, at the request of Mrs. Lyndon Johnson, they interrupted an SRO 29-city concert tour to appear before OAS (Organization of American States) ambassadors, the First Lady, Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Secretary of State Dean Rusk as part of ..... salute to Creative Latin America." If JFK had been re-elected for a second term, maybe he and/or Jackie would have been in attendance....?

Last edited:
Wow! If in 1967 I had been there to have seen and heard Lani Hall, Janis Hansen and the rest of the original Brasil 66--now that would have been a musical thrill of a lifetime!

I think I may have seen Brasil '66, but I would have only been maybe three years old. One very vague memory of mine was going to see the Tijuana Brass, maybe at Cobo Arena. It's possible that Brasil '66 would have been the opening act, as this was likely 1967. I don't even remember any music, just my mother holding me up for a moment saying, "There's Herbie Alpert down there."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom