Jimmie Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchpoint

The 50' hit maker, Jimmie Rodgers only recorded one hit on A&M called "Child of Clay". He had many other hits such as "Honeycomb", "Kisses Sweeter than WIne". etc. on DOT and other labels.

Even though he only recorded one hit on A&M, I think he should not be overlooked on you website and that he should be included.

Any comments?

If we can find one of our regulars who has enough Rodgers material to do a discography (singles, albums, good typing fingers, a scanner, etc.) , that would be cool. But we're all strictly volunteer, so we only do these little projects as we find time to fit them in. Seeing that there is a lot of interest in Rodgers (his son has been visiting our old forum occasionally), I think it would be a good addition. And I'm not adverse to going beyond his A&M years, either.

-= N =-

Rudy:
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some Jimmie Rodgers links, if that helps.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/rock_and_roll/jimmy.htm

http://www.across.co.nz/JimmieRodgers.htm

http://zm101.com/los50/jimmierodgers/rodgers.html

This is all I could find on him. The last time he performed regularly was in Branson in 2001, in a show called "Jimmie Rodgers Remembers". I called the Imax Theater in Branson and they said he retired last year and is now traveling in Calif. to visit relatives. I would like to email his son to see if he knows where I could get the album "Child of Clay" I used to listen to this when I was 21 (34 years ago) and really liked it but I cannot find this one in any of the used record stores.

Leighton

I did find a few copies listed at GEMM:

http://www.amcorner.com/gemm

As far as I know, this one isn't on CD (although some tracks may be on a compilation--one of our Rodgers fans may have to correct me). All I've found are LP copies, and some assorted singles.

Hope this helps!

-= N =-

From the shameless self-promotion dept., a link to my site. Click the link for "Jimmie Rodgers A&M page," and you'll see scans of everything except 2 of the 4 non-LP singles.
JB

You guys are great!.

Jim that is a great site on Jimmie Rodgers. I saw him about a hundred years ago in person at Melody Land, in Anaheim (now Melody Land Christian Center) he was playing with the Mommas and the Popas. I know people today would probably think he is pretty corny, but I always though he was a great singer and I still do.

Rudy, thanks for finding the album for me. I was not aware of that site. I am putting an order in tonight. I will checking for other oldies also. One I would really like to find is Bobby Vee and the Crickets. A tribute to Buddy Holly.

Leighton

Leighton: I'm not a big Rodgers fan (I do own Child of Clay), but I don't think you'd find any of us knocking what he's done.

GEMM is an amazing site, though--a huge database of thousands of record dealers and hundreds of thousands of titles listed. I usually recommend GEMM first, then suggest hovering around eBay for an affordable copy. Beyond that, it's a lot of searching!

Glad you found the LP!

-= N =-

Hi Leighton,
I have a CD I bought last year that is very nice, think I got it on Gemm as
well, but not certain. It is "The Best of Jimmie Rodgers" from Rhino records and has 18 tracks, including Child Of Clay and my personal favorite with a
melody that stays with you all day "Bimbombey" :laugh:

The UK label Westside has reissued some late '50s Roulette label Rodgers albums as 2-for-1s. Available are SINGS FOLK SONGS/FOLK SONG WORLD and NUMBER ONE BALLADS/TV FAVORITES VOL. 1. The label plans to reissue his entire Roulette catalog; no mention of Dot or A&M albums thus far.
JB

LPJim said:
From the shameless self-promotion dept., a link to my site.

Didn't we used to call it the "wendellic self-promotion dept?" I recall we stopped because it resulted in false apologies or something... :laugh:

--Mr B
thinking a check of the archives is in order...

No, just rampant forgeries, name calling, finger pointing and general whining. Glad that bullsh!t is in the past...at least it has stopped all the complaint e-mails!

-= N =-
...who loves peace and quiet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom