Joel Samberg book on Karen

Has anyone read "Some Kind Of Lonely Clown: The Music, Memory, and Melancholy Lives of Karen Carpenter"? It's a hardback book printed in 2015. It's not a biography but a study of Karen's life. I have skimmed through it and have found a few errors, like he says the song "Happy" is from the "A Kind Of Hush" LP....it's ok from what I have read but it can never beat Randy Schmidt's "Little Girl Blue"....

Has anyone read "Some Kind Of Lonely Clown: The Music, Memory, and Melancholy Lives of Karen Carpenter"? It's a hardback book printed in 2015. It's not a biography but a study of Karen's life. I have skimmed through it and have found a few errors, like he says the song "Happy" is from the "A Kind Of Hush" LP....it's ok from what I have read but it can never beat Randy Schmidt's "Little Girl Blue"....

I have a brand new copy, but haven't got round to reading it yet, but I agree, little girl blue was brilliant. I have the book, but I actually listened to it on audio book I have and listening to someone read it to you, is much better. I was shocked at a lot of it!

"Little Girl Blue" made my heart ache for Karen. I am surprised she held on as long as she did. I will forever miss her, but am thankful for the recordings and videos that survive

Here is a website with some reviews of the book you might find interesting:
Some Kind of Lonely Clown: The Music, Memory, and Melancholy Lives of Karen Carpenter by Joel Samberg

Blurbs for the Book:

“This book brings back so many lovely and amusing memories of a sadly
missed friend. She was unique and irreplaceable in so many ways. Joel has
been thorough in his research, and his love and respect for Karen shine
through. Love and thanks for the fun and the magic of her musical soul.”
Petula Clark

“An insightful look at the life of Karen Carpenter, a singing hero of mine.
I had the pleasure of opening for the Carpenters in 1975, but it was more
exciting that they recorded several of my songs, particularly ‘Solitaire,’
which featured a breathtaking Karen vocal accompanied by Richard’s
magnificent orchestration. Mr. Samberg’s book is a worthy tribute to her
everlasting legacy as one of the great vocalists of all time.”
Neil Sedaka

More--in case you missed it:
Randall Beach: Connecticut writer explores the complex persona of New Haven’s Karen Carpenter

Blurbs for the Book:

“This book brings back so many lovely and amusing memories of a sadly
missed friend. She was unique and irreplaceable in so many ways. Joel has
been thorough in his research, and his love and respect for Karen shine
through. Love and thanks for the fun and the magic of her musical soul.”
Petula Clark

“An insightful look at the life of Karen Carpenter, a singing hero of mine.
I had the pleasure of opening for the Carpenters in 1975, but it was more
exciting that they recorded several of my songs, particularly ‘Solitaire,’
which featured a breathtaking Karen vocal accompanied by Richard’s
magnificent orchestration. Mr. Samberg’s book is a worthy tribute to her
everlasting legacy as one of the great vocalists of all time.”
Neil Sedaka

More--in case you missed it:
Randall Beach: Connecticut writer explores the complex persona of New Haven’s Karen Carpenter
A nice article, Thanks for sharing...

Back
Top Bottom