Jose soares

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been years since this happened, but I have a dull memory of having tracked him down for Janis Hansen, who had heard that he was really sick. At that point (many years ago), I *think* he was still alive and living in either Sao Paulo or Rio. This is all coming from the dim recesses of my memory and I could be completely mistaken.

We may not know for sure the current whereabouts of Jose Soares, but one thing is for sure--he was the indispensable and masterful percussionist performing on the best three Brasil 66 albums starting with "Herb Alpert Presents" which is in the Grammy Hall of Fame and followed by "Equinox" and "Look Around." Musically you can not get any better than that, and for fans of Brazilian music we are eternally grateful for his musical talents.

Soon after leaving Brasil '66, Jose Soares and Janis Hansen joined a new group, the Carnival. They recorded a self-titled album on the World Pacific label. It was produced by Bones Howe and included an excellent version of "Laia Ladaia." Unfortunately, the Carnival never made another record.

Jose Soares went on to play occasionally with various other musicians into the new millennium. Although he hasn't been active recently, his performances with both Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 and the Carnival have established him as a fine percussionist.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom