Just saw the "Karen Carpenter Story" on Encore

Status
Not open for further replies.
KCS was shown again on UK TV Spring 2001 , I do like this Film -but it is far from perfect :|

If Richard were prepared to support and be actively involved in ideally a Feature Film project in the next few years , this could be more accurate and have more Carpenters and Solo material for the Film & Soundtrack:cool:

KCS is a product of it's time and very much TV oriented with some good performances , a script that touched on various Carpenters issues without laying the problems on certain characters.

Really Richard was persuaded by Jerry Weinthaub that if they did not protect Carpenters music / lifestory with their own project , others would release their versions in the 1980's with far less flattering content and motives :sad:

Todd Haynes "Superstar"Film was an innovative attempt to present Haynes own opinons on the pressures faced by Karen.Clearly Richard was less than amused and refused to allow any original Carpenters music for this Film.

Hopefully this TV Film will be Re-shown for Spring 2003 along with other Docs and Music Specials to mark Karen's Anniversary and to celebrate their Musical legacy -it always generates awareness of Carpenters recordings , chart and sales success in the UK :) :)

Sadly, German television never showed THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY, and I can't track it down as a video. :sad:

I've read a lot about SUPERSTAR, by Todd Haynes; I'd like to see the movie myself, so I can judge it myself.

It's sad to me that the KC Story TV movie wasn't that accurate about some things, and the characters who played Karen and Richard didn't really resemble them physically. Even Karen's wigs kept getting screwed up (1972 hairstyle in once scene, 1982 style in another).
The Barbie Doll cult film is disturbing. It even portrays Herb Albert as being greedy and evil, and certainly the mom is portrayed that way. It portrays Richard as being vain and evil, too. It's kind of simplistic psychology as to why Karen became ill...she had evil, controlling people around her. Like I said, it's pretty harsh.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom