Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love 11/5/16

no1kandrfan

FYI: The 2 hour documentary described above will air on the REELZ channel on November 5.

Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love - REELZChannel »

About Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love
Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love is a two hour documentary special about the 1970s star from the easy listening group, The Carpenters. Karen Carpenter was an icon of her generation but while The Carpenters clocked more than 80 million record sales behind the scenes she was battling with Anorexia Nervosa. With interviews from both close friends and The Carpenters insiders, Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love digs deep into Karen’s often difficult and complex relationship with her mother Agnes and older brother Richard and shows her struggles with a grueling concert schedule that had her performing more than 200 times a year. Viewers will also see Karen through her failed solo album and an even more disastrous marriage.

Thanks for posting this - the short promo looks a little tabloidy, but I guess that's what sells nowadays. I'll give it a try.

Well it seems that the airing of this program last night did some good! "Gold" is #1 on Amazon's Easy listening category, Christmas Portrait #2, The Ultimate Collection #8, Gold again at #12, and Christmas Collection at #17! Too bad there's not an album out to push.

Well, I watched the first ten minutes, that's all I could take. A "dramatization" of their career, which is not my cup of tea. Preceded by the hour-long "Karen Carpenter's Last Hours", which was a lot of sensationalized hypothesizing about cause of death, family relationships, etc. Pointless in my opinion. At this point, I'd rather just enjoy the music.

Same reason; I saw it on Reelz today and didn't watch. Takes me to a place I really don't want to be, y'know? Especially that "last hours" stuff. I can go my whole life without diving into the deep minds of other folks, particularly someone I really like. I refuse to remember Karen in this way, so I don't pay any mind.

Tea for two? :D

just watching that preview, that has parts in it from other documentaries, you have to ask by now, `how many ways can you tell the same story`!!
I`m always interested and up for watching carpenters stuff, but I think unless they can bring something new to the table, these documentaries start to go on a bit.
I have to say, I agree with the comment above, that it`s nice to remember Karen for her music, not all that sadness, we have enough of that in the world at the moment.

Well, I watched the first ten minutes, that's all I could take. A "dramatization" of their career, which is not my cup of tea. Preceded by the hour-long "Karen Carpenter's Last Hours", which was a lot of sensationalized hypothesizing about cause of death, family relationships, etc. Pointless in my opinion. At this point, I'd rather just enjoy the music.

I looked past that and was amazed to see all the previously unseen footage, especially of them in the early 1970s in interviews etc. It was worth it.

I'd agree with Stephen. We all know how it ended and what took place in Little Girl Blue so the outcome is not new to the fanbase. I feel there is merit or validity in that we have people speaking who were there and saw things first hand. Mike Curb, John (softly) and Werner are all very credible sources so this special has what others in the past did not portray. For me it was worth it just to hear them speak so candidly and you could see it in the way they spoke that they adored Karen.

It's the first docu to feature both enactment by actors and real footage some containing new stuff for the first time. It also contained Karen actually singing. I've seen far worse tabloid docu's, I think this one had a bit more respect for Karen in showing us what culminated toward the end of her life.

Well it seems that the airing of this program last night did some good! "Gold" is #1 on Amazon's Easy listening category, Christmas Portrait #2, The Ultimate Collection #8, Gold again at #12, and Christmas Collection at #17! Too bad there's not an album out to push.

Richard Carpenter should be very wealthy $$$. I've always wondered how Karen's part of the royalties are distributed. Surely some must go to charity. Great to see the Amazon Charts .

I watched the two Karen specials back to back on REELZ this weekend, and ultimately they saddened me. Rather sensationalist and over the top.

I liked the 2 hour special more the first time I saw it due to the great rare footage that popped up out of nowhere. That being said, the music was such a small percentage of the overall presentation. And, really, the music is why we're here.

I'd seen both shows earlier this year, and 'Goodbye To Love' was well done. But having them both back to back was a bit too much for me, anyway. True, her story is fascinating, but I almost felt like a voyeur watching poor Karen's frailties in full view. I think she'd want to be remembered more for her tremendous contributions to music.

Since this thread was titled about the Goodbye To Love show that is the one I was referring to in my post above. I actually didn't get to watch it on Nov 5th as I originally thought I got that cable channel but come to find out I'm not subscribed to the premier channels and I thought it was part of the digital line up so I only got to see Goodbye To Love online with that earlier link. So I was not aware they showed both of these shows back to back. I agree that would have been too much as I didn't care for the other one but thought Goodbye To Love was put together a bit nicer.

I also watched both of the documentaries as well. I definitely agree with what most people are saying, especially about Karen being remembered for the music, not for the sadness. Sometimes I feel like searching Karen Carpenter into Google is more about her struggles than the fact that her and Richard made some pretty awesome music. I also loved the rare footage and other things.

Back
Top Bottom