Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love

Karen4ever

It does not seem this has been mentioned in this forum (if it has, I apologize for the duplication).

Tonight (12/14/2016) at 9 pm ET, the Reelz channel will air a new (2016) 2-hr. documentary on Karen, entitled Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love. It also seems that this is a one-time showing no less (at least for this month). The following is the write-up on the show:

"Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love is a two hour documentary special about the 1970s star from the easy listening group, The Carpenters. Karen Carpenter was an icon of her generation but while The Carpenters clocked more than 80 million record sales behind the scenes she was battling with Anorexia Nervosa. With interviews from both close friends and The Carpenters insiders, Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love digs deep into Karen’s often difficult and complex relationship with her mother Agnes and older brother Richard and shows her struggles with a grueling concert schedule that had her performing more than 200 times a year. Viewers will also see Karen through her failed solo album and an even more disastrous marriage."

I have no idea about the show's background, how it came to be, or whether it has Richard's blessing (judging from the write-up, probably not). However, as a life-long fan of Karen's, I certainly would not miss it for anything in the world (and have already set my DVR to record it).

It's amazing that there seems to be absolutely no advance publicity about this show. I certainly would have missed it completely had a friend of mine not alerted me to it. So, Karen fans in this forum might want to take note.

It was discussed a good deal when it first aired in Europe earlier this year. By the time Reelz aired it, it was no longer a hot item, and from what I've learned is yet another "tabloid" type documentary. Some find value in that kind of stuff. I've seen enough of those and will stick to the better-produced documentaries that we have on DVD from Public TV.

Back
Top Bottom