Karen Carpenter Gravesite

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Since I am lucky to live near both the Carpenter Center and Forest Lawn Cypress, I stopped by Karen's gravesite yesterday to pay my respects.

For those of you who have not seen it, it is enclosed in a beautiful marble building. The section for the Carpenter family features Karen, Agnus, and Harold. There were over 50 different flower arrangements, many with beautiful notes. One fan even brought a Micky Mouse balloon, since Karen loved Disney so much.

As nice touch was a stack of notes from Richard for each fan to take. It featured the "Made in America" back album photo, with a brief handwritten message signed by Richard. It simply said he thanks everyone for their continued sympathy for his sister. The letter was dated 1/31/2003.
It was a nice touch and a great way for fans to have something from their visit.

Jeff Gehringer

Very Moving and Richard Still Appreciates Fans Dedications and Support for Carpenters Music and Karen's Anniversary :)

Hopefully if some UK Members Attend Richard's CPAC Fundraiser -We can visit Karen's Cypress Site Sunday 2 March -an Apt Occasion to Pay Our Respects :cry:

Peter...Thinking of Karen and CPAC Concerts......

I enjoyed Jeff's wonderful "sense" of the feeling one got when they visited Karen's crypt, as well as her immediate family's; I've been there on a number of occassions, the last being May 1990 (some time ago) and I always enjoyed the "quiet" sense one gets there being near her "final" resting place. For me, the first time visiting, in 1985, it was an incredible journey coming from Massachusetts to view it and come "close" to a "real" part of the magic of the Carpenters that was for me, and for most fans, only viewed from the "eye" of the camera, recordings, and media forms...so it sort of brought home "the real Karen Carpenter" and that she was a human being, who gave a tremendous gift of song to the world, and eventually and untimely died like any other human being; the one thing that remains so true about any aspect of the Carpenters, is "how real" they were and, now, Richard is. He always is considerate of fans, polite, and responsive. I recall after visiting the crypt on that magical day, 5/18/90, I drove over to "Newville Avenue" to see the mother's home, Harold had died a few years prior, and so magically, she came out, all "decked out" for a dinner committment, she was being picked up. She very politely, almost embarrissingly (meaning, she felt what was all the "excitement" over her about) came over and introduced herself, as I did myself, and she was kind enough to let me photograph her, a beautiful up-close photograph, with the beautiful "Carpenter smile" and I offered my sympathy about Karen, being star struck, not knowing what to say; she thanked me. For me, the Carpenters represent so much a part of my life; when ever I am down and out, or having a really tough time, in life, I find it funny that a Carpenters song will "suddenly" appear on a store's radio on the radio somewhere, which is unusual since the Carpenters are not readily played unfortunately any more.

I hope fans who haven't had the chance to see the crypt, that they one day do. It's such a beautiful, reassuring place that brings the magic of the Carpenters "full circle." I even recall that when I used to send flowers on the anniversary, the people at Forest Lawn were always wonderful about doing it from one coast to the other, carefully wording messages, however long, and then even getting an acknowledgement from Richard shortly thereafter. He's completely in touch with his fans and the legacy of his sister and that's something to be very proud of. He's never let the business end of his work ever go to his head, and it's always a pleasure to know anything involved with the Carpenters is done with the utmost integrity.

This was a nice thing for Richard to leave behind a written message for the fans that visited.

Can anyone post a picture of the note Richard left behind?

I remember sending a letter to Richard about a year or so after Karen passed away & to my suprise I got a typed response on Richard Carpenter letterhead, I still have it after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom