Karen Carpenter mentioned in current Time issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

Here is this week "Time" extract:

'Asked if she might find a way to integrate vulnerability and world domination, Twain thinks for a moment. "I've got dreams," she says. "I'd like to do a duet album with all of my favorite artists :Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Stevie Wonder, Bonnie Raitt, Karen Carpenter if she were alive, Etta James." Twain is laughing now. "These are impossibilities, but I'd love it. And I would want it to be originals. What would be really fantastic would be to write songs with all those people. That would be a dream album for me. One dream album."'

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101021209-395355-3,00.html
It's a good piece of evidence to show the high status of Karen in the heart of Shania Queen

If Karen were still alive, I 'm sure she could be as big as Shania as a solo artist.

CraigGA said:
Thanks for the post.

Craig
Not at all.
By the way, I just discovered this site. If any of u haven't watched this before, go there. It might soon be removed as it 's said to be illegal. (click broadband option)

Todd Haynes
"Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story"
Film, 1987, 43 min.

With Barbie dolls as the principal actors, Superstar portrays the life of Karen Carpenter and her battle with anorexia. Haynes never secured the rights to the Carpenters' music he used in the movie, and Richard Carpenter filed an injunction that kept Superstar from public release. Even without Carpenter's court order, the film would probably have been stopped by the notoriously litigious Mattel, the makers of Barbie.

http://www.illegal-art.org/video/index.html#superstar

The fact that Shania Twain thinks highly of Karen Carpenter is not a big issue!Shania Twain is just a run-of -the-mill country star,whose enjoying a current wave of popularity.What's so much more impressive is the fact that Henry Mancini was so fond of Karen that he pitched her an original song in 1971.Or,the great Ella Fitgerald was such a big fan that she recorded with karen for her 1980 TV special.As far as comparisons go,there aren't any!Shania Twain,again,is a country star.Karen Carpenter is one the "vocal greats"-the "female Sinatra"!Their names don't even belong in the same sentence!

Sorry, I don't mean to put Shania and Karen together but just feel Karen influenced Shania and it's not a bad thing indeed.

I think Shania's made the line between country and pop ambigious since "Come on Over".
I love both Shania and Karen.

If Richard would produce a song for Shania, I feel it'll gonna be great.

No problem. There's no reason why one can't compare any two artists. That's what discussion forums are for.

I happen to hear the Karen-esque elements in Shania's voice, just as I hear them in Andrea Corr of The Corrs. Karen was an obvious influence on both singers as well as many others.

Harry
NP: Come On Over, Shania Twain

Comparisons are inevitable, but I've heard one Shania Twain song in my life, and don't really care to hear another. Nothing personal--just not my cup of tea. Can't judge the singer if I don't care for the music behind her, I guess. :rolleyes: (Nothing against country, but I'm more a 'purist' and prefer something like BR5-49 or Randy Travis over any of these "hat acts" that cropped up since the early 90's.)

However...she's VERY easy on the eyes! :goofygrin:

-= N =-

Shania may be the Ultimate Crossover. With the recent release of her fourth album of new material,both country and pop versions of the album are being produced,courtesy of her husband, arena rock producer Mutt Lange. With two weeks of sales,the US version is at the million and half mark. Should she reach 10 million,she will be the first solo female artist in Billboard chart history to achieve sales of 10 million+ each for three albums. At this point she is outdisdancing not only Celene Dion,Mariah Carey and others of recent times but Streisand,Ella,Aretha and every other female voice in popularity. Shania is reaching Garth Brooks levels. Mac

If you want a good comparison of two artists-listen to Karen Carpenter's "Crescent Noon" and Nina Simone's "Black is the color of my true love's hair".From a vocal standpoint,they sound like twin sisters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom