Karen Carpenter's influence in Shania 's voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOOOOOH YEAH!!!!! I never thought much about her voice and Karen's...I still haven't gotten much past her bellybutton...but, come to think about it, there IS a resemblance...I wonder if she'd ever consider a cover of "Top Of The World". How about it, Shania?

Dan

Yes, it's true that she shows off her bellybutton quite a lot but may be it's her kind of vendibility.

Apart from voice resemblance, they have something else in common:

1) Shania is 5'4" tall and so was Karen,
2) They both recorded a song called "From this moment on"
3) Karen and Shania both have sqeaky-clean private life. Shania is a vegetarian, They were/are very homebound.
4)They both have loyal ardent fans like us !

How about we request Shania to remake "Touch me when we're dancing" cos I always always feel that this deserves to be a number 1 hit song.

Cheers!

Man said:
Yes, it's true that she shows off her bellybutton quite a lot but may be it's her kind of vendibility.

Apart from voice resemblance, they have something else in common:

1) Shania is 5'4" tall and so was Karen,
2) They both recorded a song called "From this moment on"
3) Karen and Shania both have sqeaky-clean private life. Shania is a vegetarian, They were/are very homebound.
4)They both have loyal ardent fans like us !

How about we request Shania to remake "Touch me when we're dancing" cos I always always feel that this deserves to be a number 1 hit song.

Yep, I'd have to say that she 'vends' quite well, at least onstage...:cool: seriously, you've made a valid point...there IS a close resemblance between the two as far as voices go, and it really WOULD be interesting to hear Shania cover some of Karen's music...I wonder what she could do with "Desperado"...

Dan, wishing Shania better fortune than Karen's....

Cheers!

I always love Carpenters' version of "Desparado" . I think Shania can handle this as well :) But of course Karen's singing is always the best.

:wink: :wink:

Man said:
I always love Carpenters' version of "Desparado" . I think Shania can handle this as well :) But of course Karen's singing is always the best.

I'd really like to see Shania take this direction on her next album instead of the teenybopper videogame video direction she's going now...I mean, who does she think she is...Chris Gaines? :rolleyes:

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Man said:

I'd really like to see Shania take this direction on her next album instead of the teenybopper videogame video direction she's going now...I mean, who does she think she is...Chris Gaines? :rolleyes:
Dan

Me too. Shania is getting mature....By the way, have u heard of the story about "You're still the one"? Some people said this is an echo to Carpenters' "We've only just begin".

Shania has paid tribute to her respect and love for Carpenters music for many years.

Would be interesting to hear a Double A or Maxi Single with several Carpenters covers , perhaps a mix of one Carpenter/ Bettis song , one other Single cover and an Album cut would be best ?

I do not care for her very in your face material , all the tracks with exclaimation marks etc! However Shania working with Richard on one of his projects or a new tribute set would be great for both parties :)

Richard would be able to bring out the best features of her vocals with some newly composed , arranged and produced tracks :cool:

Peter...awaiting more Richard Collaborations.......

Richard Carpenter collaborating with Shania Twain? That would never happen!Richard's style is classic,and Shania's style is contemporary.(or should I say "trendy").That would be an oddball combination! I think Richard would make a great team with Diana Krall.Diana is most definitely comparable to Karen Carpenter.Karen and Richard collaborated with Perry Como and Ella Fitzgerald in the 1970's-and I think if Richard had a choice,he would want to collaborate today with a singer like Perry or Ella.Incidentally,I don't know of too many people who are mutual fans of both Karen Carpenter and Shania Twain.Do you know anyone who likes both filet mignon and flank steak?

I suspect that after working with Akiko, the Japanese Karen sound-alike, Richrad has had his fill of finding someone *like* Karen to work with, and would do better to find another talented singer with which to work.

As for combination Shania and Karen fans, I've personally run across many.

Harry
NP: Lani Hall, CLASSICS VOLUME 19

Lucky to those Canadian fans. Shania will hold the Canadian Juno Awards (Grammy Awards in Canada?)on april 6. Shania will talk about the heros influenced her musicl career. Probably, she might mention Karen and hope there will be a short video clip of Karen.

Here is the promotion clips
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate/!ctvVideo/CTVNews///AM/?&video_link_high=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2003/01/15/bgmilogger1_143kbps_20030115_1042653840.wmv&video_link_low=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2003/01/15/bgmilogger1_45kbps_20030115_104265

Personally, I would love to hear Richard produce other vocalists. Back in the day, A&M really wasted some great talent in assigning Richard people like Scott Grimes who had no chance of really going anywhere anyway. What were they thinking? Not being very familiar with Ms. Twain's work other than the few sexy videos I've seen, I can't comment on that possible collaboration, but there are quite a few "current" artists who have come into their own influenced by the Carpenters. One artist that comes to mind is Gloria Estephan. I hear Karen-like overtones in her songs often. I think that now she is past her prime, Richard should take shot producing her. Or, how about a Manhattan Transfer collaboration with Richard? Sounds strange, but thier jazzy-vocal sound would be a great medium for Richard to work with. Also, I always thought that "Those Good Ol' Dreams" would make a great country hit by a MALE country vocalist (you pick which one, they all sound alike to me). My point is Richard's potential is near endless and he is NOT getting any younger. Then again, Richard does have several children that HAVE to have inherited some of those great musical genes.

Interesting new e-mail from BB Barcus. Talked generally about what a thrill it was to be at the Super Bowl, but nothing about the lip-synching controversy...not even a defense of Shania. I thought he would say something about it all, but he played it cool. Also talked about the trip to Japan. It seems that ST & the band had a Karaoke session, and Shania chose to sing Carpenters songs. That must have been awesome. Oh, to be a fly on the wall! It would be wonderful if she would record some of those someday.

BB Barcus, member of Shania's band - here is his website:

http://www.mileyandbb.com/homepage.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom