Karen Philipp as a Lead Singer in Brasil '66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardbossa

To the best of my knowledge, Karen Philipp appears as a lead singer in the SM & Brasil '66 Group just once: in the song "For What It's Worth" in the Stillness album. Is it true, or are there any other songs which can be credited to her as a lead singer? Thanks.

That's correct, although she was with Sergio's group on the first "Brasil '77" album, Pais Tropical, as well. On that album it's kind of hard to say whether she sings by herself (double tracked) or if Gracinha sings with her.

I don't think there's any question that Karen is the soloist on "So Many People" and "Gone Forever". I also don't think Gracinha is on "After Midnight", but that may be debatable.

I remember listening to PAIS TROPICAL for the first time and being so happy that Lani Hall was obviously still making records with Sergio, even though she was nowhere to be found in the credits. My mistake was in hearing Karen Philipp doing the leads and sounding so much like Lani to my ears.

Harry

Remember the one Corner member (I forget the name at the moment) who originally thought almost all the lead vocals on Stillness were done by Karen? I still would like to see detailed vocal credits on that album.

Stillness just showed up on Spotify today, so I've been listening as I work. To my ears, these are the vocalists:

1. Stillness--Lani
2. Righteous Life--Lani & Lani
3. Chelsea Morning--Lani & Karen (you can clearly hear Karen doing the "echoes" and the lower notes on those major seconds at the end). I know some insist Gracinha is on this one, but I sure don't hear her very distinctive accent anywhere, and I've listened to this (one of my all time favorite B66 singles) a *lot*.
4. Cancao--Sergio
5. Viramundo--Lani & Karen
6. Lost in Paradise--Gracinha & Gracinha
7. For What It's Worth--Karen & Lani
8. Sometimes in Winter--Lani and Karen
9. Celebration of the Sunrise--Gracinha & Karen
10. Stillness--Lani

I am with you on all of those. The only one I have ever wondered about is Viramundo, I remember somebody telling a story once where they had talked to Gracinha and she stated that all three of them were on that track. But I sure don't hear her anywhere and it seems like Gracinha didn't 'come in' until after Lani was gone from the fold.

Personally, I think that Karen has two "voices" when she sings. The soft back up voice, and a more louder and fuller front voice. Chelsea Morning sounds so different than other Brasil 66 songs because Karen has the lead.

Listen to So Many People which is all Karen. It has that "Lani" sound which is the soft (slightly higher) voice.

Also, someone once mentioned that "Some Time Ago" of the Ye-Me-Le album has Lani starting the song, and Karen finishing the song after the Sergio Solo.

I don't think there's any question that Karen is the soloist on "So Many People" and "Gone Forever". I also don't think Gracinha is on "After Midnight", but that may be debatable.
Thanks for the information which can be useful for other members, but in fact I am interested in Karen as the soloist in Brasil '66 tracks only.

Last edited:
To my ears, "Chelsea Morning" is about 75% Lani (I'm also old enough to remember having seen B66 perform the song on tv, where Lani was singing). It *is* high (too high IMHO--when they hit that D it's a bit brittle).

I remember that post about "Some Time Ago", but again, I think it's obvious (to me anyway), that that song is pure Lani all the way.

Personally, I think that Karen has two "voices" when she sings. The soft back up voice, and a more louder and fuller front voice. Chelsea Morning sounds so different than other Brasil 66 songs because Karen has the lead.

Listen to So Many People which is all Karen. It has that "Lani" sound which is the soft (slightly higher) voice.

Also, someone once mentioned that "Some Time Ago" of the Ye-Me-Le album has Lani starting the song, and Karen finishing the song after the Sergio Solo.

I agree. She had a distinct "twang" to her voice that gave her away. And yes, there were times she sounded very much like Lani.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

If memory serves, I seem to recall someone mentioning that Lani sang "Gone Forever" when Sergio introduced Brasil '77 on the David Frost program, sometime around 1971 or 1972.

That said, I wonder just when Lani officially left the group. Makes me think Sergio expected her to continue with Brasil '77.

Whether sung by Lani on the program or not, I find Karen's version exquisitely well done. "So Many People" is also a perfect vehicle for her style.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

I would bet actual money (say a quarter - not going for high stakes here) that "Some Time Ago" is Lani all the way....period. The high note on the tag at the end ("we're the only ones...to blame....")? No way on earth that's anyone but Lani.

I used to think "Some Time Ago" was both of them (one on each chorus), but now I agree with you. Karen's presence was distinctive, in that you could tell when she was singing. She had that "twang" (which I loved), and it always gave her away.

One Japanese fan insists that the "Fool On The Hill" album was Lani all the way, save for "Scarborough Fair" -- which he believes is Karen on Karen.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

In regard to the Japanese fan and his view that the majority of Fool On The Hill is Lani double-tracked, it makes me curious as to whether Sergio had begun recording the album before Brasil '66 changed personnel. If so, I would imagine that Janis' voice, as well as the music itself, must have been removed and replaced with Karen and the new band. I have no idea what technology existed in those days -- whether a vocal could be added or removed -- or whether Sergio had to begin from scratch. I imagine, given the technology of the time, that Lani was on one tape track, with Karen on the other. If that's the case, Karen could have easily replaced the vocals of Janis Hansen.

It would be very interesting to know.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

I love Karen's leads on the PAIS TROPICAL album - to me it's by far the best showcase of her particular sound....

I agree. "So Many People" and "Gone Forever" are showcases for her voice and style. I think it was Trevor who once said that he was of the opinion that Karen had two voices: one voice similar to Lani's, the other her own. Pais Tropical most definitely features Karen's own talents.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom