1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Karen Philipp sings "Warm" on Julius Wechter album?

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by Trevor, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Trevor

Trevor Member Thread Starter

I saw this thread in the "Circle of Friend" forum. It says that Karen Philipp did vocals on a rare version of "Warm". Is this true? Has anyone heard it???

Here is the original thread that is locked. I posted this in the Sergio Mendes forum for those who only follow Sergio's music.

The music of Julius Wechter-rare 33rpm?

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  2. I've heard it once or twice, but never realized who the singer was. Has it truly been established that it really WAS Karen.

3. Trevor

Unsure. Just saw that thread (link is above) that mentioned it.

4. I'm trying to track down @mikeargo who posted the info back in 2009.

5. According to Mike, he received the information directly from Cissy Wechter in an email from her in 2003. So it's confirmed, the female singer on "Warm" is Karen Philipp.

Also, the female singer on "The Nicest Things Happen" on that Julius Wechter promo album is Jeanne King of The Gin Blossoms.

Bobberman likes this.
  6. OK all you "golden ears" out there, is it Karen Philipp on this or not? I finally found one of the MUSIC OF JULIUS WECHTER albums for myself, so here's "Warm":

7. Trevor

It sounds like Janis Hansen more than Karen Philipp. yeah? 95% sure that it isn't Karen.

8. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Well considering the only real yardstick we have to compare the voices with is Karen's recordings with Sergio Mendes on the Stillness and Pais Tropical albums.... to me the voice does not sound like Karen did on those albums. BUT, a lot of things can happen in production to make a voice sound quite different, AND we have Cissy Wechter telling Mikeargo that it is Karen...so, too bad we can't go right to the source and ask Karen.

Interesting how the TJB version the song concludes the Wechter version. I wonder how that came about?

9. Trevor

Janis Hansen sings the Look of Love. "Warm"'s singer sounds like Janis.

10. Mike Blakesley

There again...production can make a lot of difference. I don't think it sounds like Janis either, but comparing with her is even harder, since we only have the one solo vocal to compare with. At least with Karen we have a handful of songs.

"Brasil Nut" might be able to check on this with Gracinha.

11. Mike Blakesley

Another interesting thing about this song is, that organ solo in the middle. You'd think Julius would have wanted to do a marimba solo in there. Anyway, just an observation.