Karen's Solo album

Status
Not open for further replies.
goodjeans said:
richard_sloat wrote (hey, it rhymes!)
To me she sounds like she's having much fun.
She really does and that's one of the reasons that I love this album.

Karen having so much fun is one of the reasons I love her solo album, as well. Karen sounds wonderful, happy and playful. I wish we could own her album on vinyl.

Hi gypsy! Long time no read! I have most of the songs on my IPOD. I do play it mostly in the warm months so I guess it is sort of a summer album. I agree that it would be great to own it on vinyl. As a double album. With all of the tracks.

ABBA is re-releasing all their Vinyl albums on a special box set due out at the end of the year. But I guess that's because there is still a market for them (plus the box set has a special book and an additional vinyl disc of non-album singles and b-sides, plus if you pre-order it, your name will be mentioned in the enclosed book). If there was really a strong demand for Karen's solo album on vinyl, it would really be a great treat for fans to see it as it was supposed to have been released in 1980.

goodjeans said:
Hi gypsy! Long time no read! I have most of the songs on my IPOD. I do play it mostly in the warm months so I guess it is sort of a summer album. I agree that it would be great to own it on vinyl. As a double album. With all of the tracks.

Hi, goodjeans! :wave: I hope all is well with you. I have her songs on my ipod, as well and I own the CD (Plus the New York Solo Sessions). I really want to add vinyl to my collection. A double album would be fabulous. :love:

Gyp---sss---eee------yyy!!!!! HI! I love the idea of vinyl and wish that I hadn't donated my record player to the Smithsonian. Kidding. It was Goodwill. If they release her solo on vinyl I will buy one. It would be worth it. 'DOUBLE' worth it. wink.

...reading the recently released book "Little Girl Blue" off and on, I came to the part where they had a listening meeting in New York and then in CA. Why would one coast be so satisfied with the material wherein the other coast hated it?

richard_sloat said:
I believe the people in NY were just "cooler", lol.

No, they just weren't the people that wanted her to do what was expected of her. In musician circles, New York is known to be more daring. The players out there were always more hard-hitting and took chances that L.A. guys didn't. L.A. is known for precision. The two parts of the country couldn't be more different where music is concerned. That New York would love a record that wouldn't move the folks in L.A. isn't much of a shock.

Ed

"Love Making Love To You".
In the book 'Little Girl Blue' the author quotes some of the lyrics.
He suggests that the lyrics were the reason why the finished product never reached the final album selections.
I cannot understand why this sublime track was left off.
Can anyone take a stab at this?

I've read someone commenting it right here at this forum... something about the "getting it while it's hot"?? And the lyrics being about male genitals??

http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=3035c65b99df84ca

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....-lyrics-Cher/DE5585C3768D867748256FE100272CE7

Cause there's no lightning and thunder
Any seven wonder mightier
Than what you've got
Keep it up forever
No one does it better, baby
Come and get it while it's hot

Apparently what he's "got" is a BIG penis?? That's what some people got from the lyrics anyway!

Those are very typical 70s lyrics. There are tons of songs from that era (and the previous decades) that can easily be taken two ways.

"Rock and roll" used to be a synonym for sex, after all.

I have a very, very vague memory of being plopped up on a gigantic black grand piano and having that gorgeous voice waft over me as I sat there transfixed by Karen. My Father stood up at her wedding and one of the projects he was working on was a solo concert for her alone. I remember her eyes and her hands most of all. I also remember when she would open her mouth, and there was a feeling that came over me. I can't really explain it.
I found this quote on the Internet and wonder if anyone has ever heard of a man named 'Billings' who would be in some type of promotional vein.

I found this quote from another website (and no I won't reveal it) which somewhat puts to rest my hopes that I would someday hear them. Also, I had never heard the rest of the information mentioned before so thought that I would share.

First off, the songs that have been rumored to exist, "Basket Case" and "Church Choir (Wild)" Karen never laid vocals down for; they were just rough backing tracks I believe. Another song that guitarist-and-writer Russell Javors gave Karen a demo of, but she opted not to record was a song called "(Maybe She's a) Vice Cop."

If you don't reveal the source, how is it possible to be sure it's really out there? What's this CONFIDENTIALITY agreement anyway? Is it private mail you received? Other than that, there's no reason why you don't say where you find things online unless you're a hacker or something.

Google:

http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...exist"&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=e088f24e929c988a

http://leadsister.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t7125-50.html

LOL, I was in that discussion!!!!

EDIT: Started by fellow member newvillefan.

Thanks "betossantana"

If you read the New York Times article "Karen Carpenter's Second Life" there are sections - which I'll quote here, so you don't have to search hi and low - that talk about the album's progression, and criticisms. By the way, a couple of new things I found out for you avid fans:

First off, the songs that have been rumored to exist, (...)

goodjeans said:
I have a very, very vague memory of being plopped up on a gigantic black grand piano and having that gorgeous voice waft over me as I sat there transfixed by Karen. My Father stood up at her wedding and one of the projects he was working on was a solo concert for her alone. I remember her eyes and her hands most of all. I also remember when she would open her mouth, and there was a feeling that came over me. I can't really explain it.
I found this quote on the Internet and wonder if anyone has ever heard of a man named 'Billings' who would be in some type of promotional vein.

Google:

http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...piano"&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=e088f24e929c988a

http://abillings.livejournal.com/188380.html

I'll read the whole article as soon as I can.

I used to virtually LIVE on Leadsister.com, this thread brought back lots of good memories. I remember once I hit a record posts of 100 in a single day (and I took a screenshot to prove it! lol).

goodjeans said:
I don't know if it is my new headphones, but this YouTube remix really brings out all of Karens' backing vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFovUhr1zOU

It's your headphones. This mix isn't any different - at least not to my ears. The edits are very standard-issue "cut and paste" and could be done by anyone with a sound editor and ten minutes on their hands. There absolutely are ways to take the song and make a fairly interesting remix. This, however, isn't it. It's just the same thing made longer in certain spots.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom