1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Karen's solo tracks in timeline

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CraigGA, Jan 7, 2017.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^About the Feb 2,1980 Photo:
    Karen is leaning back, then twisting her head off to the side a bit,
    to gaze her look into the camera. Purple outfit.
    A beautiful photo, by the way !

2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I don't have the 40th Anniversary so can't see the sleeve notes but I think most of not all of the solo photos were taken on that one day.

Is it one of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goodjeans likes this.
  3. GaryAlan

4. newvillefan

Got it - I thought it was the one of her in the chair in the white outfit but then saw you said she was wearing purple so I changed the pics :laugh:

5. GaryAlan

I located a copy of the A&M Press release for the solo album, written by Paul Grein:
    "...Paul Simon suggested that Karen sing Still Crazy After All These Years...."
    "Herb Alpert came up with the suggestion for Ramone to produce the album..."
    "On February 16,1979, Karen flew to New York to begin planning the album with Ramone."
    "Gil Friesen,A&M President told me (Grein)...Karen thought about it long and hard and decided
    the duo takes precedence. That was the priority in her life and there was no way she wanted
    the solo project to interfere." (regards May 1980 shelving of solo album).

6. newvillefan

I don't buy that for a second. Karen did all her soul searching before she even started working on the album, out of deference to Richard, and then still went ahead anyway. There's no way she'd have spent $400,000 of her own money and 12 months of her life investing her heart and soul into it, only then to decide "the duo takes precedence".

Murray and David A like this.
  7. David A

David A Member

Yes, that sounds like quintessential PR speak.

8. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member