🎵 AotW Lani Hall - COLLECTIBLES (SP-4988)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Lani Hall
COLLECTIBLES
A&M SP-4988

sp4988.jpg

A1 Midnight Lovers (Producer – Herb Alpert) - 3:28
A2 Never Say Never Again (Producer – Herb Alpert, Sérgio Mendes) - 3:10
A3 Come What May (Producer – Allee Willis) - 4:09
A4 Send In The Clowns (Producer – Herb Alpert) - 2:21
A5 We Could Be Flying (Producer – Herb Alpert) - 4:06
B1 Nobody Gets This Close To Me (Producer – David Kershenbaum, Lani Hall) - 3:31
B2 Rio (Producer – George E. Tobin*, Mike Piccirillo) - 4:03
B3 Come Down In Time (Producer – Herb Alpert) - 3:43
B4 I Don't Want You To Go (Producer – Allee Willis, Dick Rudolph*) - 4:29
B5 How Can I Tell You (Producer – Herb Alpert) - 3:43
Released 1984
Also available as CD 4988

All songs have been modified by Herb Alpert except:
Never Say Never Again
Midnight Lovers
How Can I Tell You
We Could Be Flying

Additional Recording done at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA
Engineered by Paul McKenna
Assisted by Clyde Kaplan
Mastered by Bernie Grundman at A&M Recording Studios

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson
Design: Melanie Nissen
Photography: Harry Langdon
Management: Ron Stone

Some of this material has been previously reissued

JB

Last edited by a moderator:
This 1984 compilation album, COLLECTIBLES, is not simply a collection of previously released tunes. While most of the selections had been released before, some are new, and many are re-mixes of the originals. The new material includes Michael Sembello’s “Midnight Lovers” and the James Bond soundtrack song “Never Say Never Again,” which while not really new, is appearing for the first time on a Lani Hall album. The track was produced by Herb Alpert and Lani’s former boss Sergio Mendes for use in the opening of the film, and features an Alpert trumpet solo as well.

Those two, as well as “How Can I Tell You” and “We Could Be Flying” are the only songs not “adapted by Herb Alpert” as it’s phrased on the album jacket. All the rest are remixes; indeed “Come What May” has totally new vocal tracks by Lani and Herb. “We Could Be Flying” here is the original WINGS mix with full orchestra, while “Rio” seems to have lost some instrumentation, notably the brass. Many of the tracks lightly segue into one another, a dubious practice on many “greatest hits” albums. This is one of the three Lani Hall compilation albums that A&M did release on Compact Disc, and as such it is a welcome addition to one’s collection. It's also now available as mp3 downloads at the Herb Alpert Presents site.

Harry

I can't really remember much about this album but I remember not really liking the remixes. I guess I should listen to it again and see if I still feel the same way.

I was always curious about those four songs that were not "modified." Did they run out of time before the LP was released? Did he get tired of that project or have other commitments? Or did Herb feel like those four were perfect as is?

To me, not much of a fun set... Maybe I would just like more inclusions of stuff from Sun Down Lady and Hello, It's Me...

The tunes re-done, though, sound alright to me... Just wish for something more thorough...

-- Dave

I liked this set initially, when I first started collecting Lani's work. And I continued to enjoy it... That is, until I heard the original mixes on the original albums. For one thing, the original version of "Come What May" actually continues a bit further, with a definite end (which I prefer). It's still not a bad set if you don't have any of Lani's collection. But once you do, you won't exactly want to wear out your copy.

I bought my first copy at a musicland store in 1985. As i was beginning to collect Lani's albums. I wore that one out but fortunately i was able to replace it many years later ( and have a custom cd transfer made of it too.) This really serves as a great introduction to her early solo work (post brasil 66.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom