Lani's vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

hi I was just wondering about this for some time now.I was listening to some older brasil 66 albums and the two voices blended together and sounded like one. so was Lani's vocal doubled tracked or not?
bob

On the first album for A&M, Lani is the sole female voice. If it sounds like more, it's an overdub of Lani singing with Lani. On the next two albums, you'll hear a blend of Lani and Janis Hansen. Starting with FOOL ON THE HILL it was Lani and Karen Philipp (Gracinha was added to "Lapinha").

Harry

Remember, Herb produced the first few albums with Sergio. He was inspired to overdub his trumpet on TJB records by listening to Les Paul and what Les did with his guitar....so Herb was the one who had the idea to overdub Lani and create that smooth vocal sound. A lot of the next few albums are still just Lani double-tracked, for that same effect.....

thank you again for the answer A&M guy, and the carpenters did the same as well.
bob

[Harry said, "Starting with FOOL ON THE HILL it was Lani and Karen Philipp (Gracinha was added to "Lapinha").]

As I understand it, Gracinha's participation increased on STILLNESS, Lani's last album with Sergio Mendes. Then Gracinha replaced Lani and she and Karen became the principal vocalists when the group became Basil '77.

Charles

Yes. One could go on with a very lengthy post indeed just listing the vocalists with Sergio Mendes. I'm sure the information is detailed within these walls.

Harry

Help! I listened to the "Herb Alpert presents Brasil 66" and wow ! although it was mentioned here that Lani had her voice over dubbed I still find it kind of hard to believe that Janis Hansen did not sing on the MAIS QUE NADA song cause it sounds like both of them singing unison but anyways Janis appears on the cover..why was that? did something bad happened just before recording the album that Janis was not allowed to sing?

The story goes like this:

Sergio had hired Lani and a lady named Bibi Vogel as the vocalists for the first album. Something didn't work out with Ms. Vogel, but it is *she* who appears on the front of the first A&M album over on the right side of the cover shot (that's not Janis Hansen). With studio time booked and short a vocalist, Herb Alpert put his producer's expertise to work and used the overdubbing technique to record Lani Hall as the "second" vocalist.

A short time after the recording of the album was "in the can", Sergio hired Janis Hansen as his second vocalist, and she's in the photo on the back. But the recording - it's all Lani.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom