1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Link between Janet Jackson and the Carpenters?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Walkinat9, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Walkinat9

Walkinat9 Active Member Thread Starter

While I'm in LA for over a week, I'm planning to visit a few Carpenters-related spots, but I'll also attend a Janet Jackson concert. Are there any connections between her and the Carpenters?

All I can think of is through her brother Michael, the few songs that Karen was offered by Rod Temperton, but she turned them down and Michael ended up with "Rock with you", which was a big hit for him. Oh, and I think I saw Herb Alpert in one of Janet's videos :)

Any more links maybe??

Greg (still packing)

Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Here are two links:

Janet Jackson's 2004 song, "I Want You," briefly sampled from B.T. Express' 1976 cover of "(They Long to Be) Close to You."

Both Carpenters and Janet Jackson are part of the ongoing snubs by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with no nominations (The 10 Most Controversial Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Moments ).

Enjoy your vacation, @Walkinat9!

Walkinat9, Jeff and GaryAlan like this.
  3. JayJayVA

JayJayVA Member

Janet signed with A&M Records (Carpenters' label) in 1982 --so maybe she did get to meet Karen & Richard in passing. Karen was mentioned as visiting Michael in studio while he was recording, so they were on familiar terms.

Walkinat9 and Jamesj75 like this.
  4. Walkinat9

Walkinat9 Active Member Thread Starter

Thank you James & JayJay! Gotta find me Janet's album from 1982 then. Maybe Amoeba (here in Hollywood) has it...
    I'm afraid I'll end up buying too much there haha
    Looking forward to the rest of my stay here :cool:

Greg

Jamesj75 likes this.