1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Tony, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Tony

Tony Active Member Thread Starter

2. SakuraSYayoi

SakuraSYayoi Active Member

Thanks for the info, Tony!

I'm probably going to pre-order it at Amazon.Jp, as they already have the book listed.

When was Randy's photo with Mr. Pooler taken? His voice still sounds younger than I imagine.

Sakura

3. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Great News!!
    Just pre-ordered it!!

Randy were you able to get any interviews from Jann Arden, I know she was greatly influenced by Karen. She has her own website you could contact her. How about Olivia any luck there?

I can't wait to get this, I'm excited, finally a book about Karen from someone knowledgeable about the Carpenters and who also loves their music. :)

4. Tony

Tony Active Member Thread Starter

Chris,

I don't mean to speak for Randy, but today he posted on Facebook that ONJ was one of his favorite interviews for this project. So, yes, he apparently did have some luck there.

Tony

5. Yes, I did a phone interview with Olivia earlier this year, thanks to a "good word" from Karen Ramone (aka "Itchie"). Olivia was so sweet and interesting. It was an absolute thrill to speak with her and to have her participation.

As for Jann Arden, no, I didn't interview her, but she is on a list of people the publisher is contacting for a possible endorsement or "blurb" for the back cover.

How awesome that it's already on Amazon in Japan, too. I know it's still 6 months or so til it's out, but the pre-orders probably help generate additional orders from Amazon and other booksellers. Not sure how that works.

Randy

6. Sakura, the photo with Pooler was taken March 2009.

7. aaflyer98

aaflyer98 Well-Known Member

I just pre-orderd 2 copies!

8. goodjeans

goodjeans Active Member

I can't wait to read this. I am especially looking forward to the Tom Burris chapter *smirk* unless he was too busy spending Karen's cash to sit down for an interview. This, of course, is just supposition on my part.

9. I spoke with Tom Burris, but not on the record or in any sort of interview fashion. There is, however, plenty of info on this subject thanks to others close to KC.

10. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Randy, that is cool you got to speak w/ Olivia, can't wait to see what she had to say in the book. I'm sure Jann would be honored to be apart of your book, she always gives props to Karen in her liner notes on her Cd's and even recorded her version of Solitaire from her CD titled "Uncover Me".

Randy, have you picked out a cover for the book? Will there also be some color pics inside or black and white? I wonder if Phil Ramone has any long lost photos from Karen's solo sessions that have not surfaced?

Thanks Tony, I could not get into Facebook, I guess you have to register?

11. You should register for facebook. I thought you could see some of the photos and info without registering, but maybe not. Yes, there is a cover. Amazon has not added it yet, but it's on the facebook page. Maybe someone knows how to add it here? I am not sure.

Phil and Itchie have recently moved and didn't have opportunity to unearth any "new" pics of KC but there is at least ONE new one from the solo sessions that I had never seen before. The plan is for 16 pages of b/w and 8 pages of color photos.

There will be an "official" book or author site after the first of the year, but for now I am just updating via facebook.

Randy

12. I modified the Amazon link above to help out A&M Corner with your purchases there, and I copied the picture from Randy's Facebook page and added it to the first post as well.

Harry

13. Fantastic. Thanks Harry! And I am glad you edited the link to help A&M Corner, too.

14. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Thanks Harry for the link and pic, I can see it now.

Randy, I hear so much lately about facebook but have never used it or registered. Great to hear there are some photos. When I pre-ordered it Amazon says it's a hardcover book, is that true? I really would prefer a hardcover instead of a paperback. I have your other book titled Yesterday Once More-Memories of the Carpenters and Their Music and really enjoyed that, I ordered it kinda late and what they sent me was the paperback version, it's a good size although I had wished it was a hardcover. I'm not even sure your other book was released in hardcover?

Thanks again for finally making this happen!! :thumbsup:

15. Song4uman

Song4uman Active Member

Randy, I really like the picture. It reminds me of the private girl that was inside of the public woman. I can't wait to read it.

When you called me, you were looking for a different picture...did that fall through?

16. SakuraSYayoi

SakuraSYayoi Active Member

Thank you, Randy! March 2009.
    Richard played "Little Girl Blue" as closing song at Sirius this March. If Japanese edition will be published, I'd like to have Richard's introduction for the song at something like "obi" for the book.

I haven't registered, but I can see some photos at Facebook. If they keep a photo for members only, I cannot see it. I can see photos that Randy uploaded to Facebook.

The cover photo reminded me of Pamela's Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame site.

I am looking forward to reading, Mike & Carole Curb, Denny Brooks,
    Frankie, Liberty, Dionne and Olivia!!
    According to Dionne fans, Dionne celebrated her birthday with fans in Japan. She sang a couple of Christmas songs at her show.

If Randy includes some photos of Karen at drums, I'll be happy. My recent favorite one is Karen playing drum medley in LeadSister T-shirt taken by Pat Christian. Karen looks great. Sticks look almost moving.

I pre-ordered one at Amazon.JP. I'd like to pre-order two copies, but their delivery was 2010/8/9 - 2010/8/11. I'm thinking if I should pre-order one more at Amazon.US.

Sakura

17. The book will be published in hardcover and a paperback version will follow in a year or so. The first book (Yesterday Once More) was only available in paperback.

Jonathan, yes, that other pic fell through. Mainly because the designer came up with THIS one and everyone went crazy over it... we abandoned my original concept. I am glad. This one gets a lot more attention, especially from non-fans who might not otherwise pick up a Karen biography.

18. ringves

ringves Active Member

Randy - I agree. Your publisher has chosen a very effective photo.

I think it's effective for a couple of reasons:

1) It's a great photo of Karen - serious and thoughtful - and far removed from the usual "Pepsodent pantheon" of Carpenters photos;

and

2) The way the photo has been cropped creates a sense of foreboding. It gives new meaning to the phrase "Big Brother is watching." (In all fairness to Richard, if we could see his eyes, I don't think the photo would give off those vibes.)

Good luck with the launch, Randy.

19. Murray

Murray Active Member

This is great news indeed! I pre-ordered a copy (it's $8.00 cheaper on the Canadian Amazon site! :D ) It's going to be a long six months until we get our hands on our copies, but I have no doubt that it will be well worth the wait!

Congrats Randy. I hope the book becomes a bestseller!

20. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered as well, and added an upcoming post on my blog to help promote it for you...

21. marktentan83

marktentan83 New Member

22. thestitch

thestitch Member

Oh, I'm so happy to see this book coming out! I've pre-ordered, too. Thanks much for all your hard work, Randy.

Marilyn

23. Congratulations Randy on your book! I have pre-ordered a copy and look forward to being one of the first Canadians to receive the book once it is published. Would it be fair to suggest this book will be launched before the long awaited Christmas album hits the record stores?

24. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Congrats again, Randy! Jeez....we're lining up already! 16 pages of b&w and 8 pages of color shots....that's AWESOME news.
    Bob.

25. Can't wait to get this book. It's been 17 years since the Coleman book which I thought was a little sugar coated. I really don't think anything that could be revealed would ever change my love for Karen. She is greatly missed!