1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Tony, Dec 17, 2009.

1. David A

David A New Member

Replying to an old post but dang, loved that phrase. I have spent way too many hours debating the "value" of the Carpenters' music with some of my, err, "music-snob" friends, many of whom follow(ed) music critics like they were some wise Tibetan monks. It's as if they wait for the approval of critics before choosing to like or dislike something. Pathetic, really. An aside - I am an artist and have written and illustrated professionally (in another life called the 1990's) and so, as an "artist" I am _expected_ to have "artistic sensibilities" about music...and should "know better" when it comes to the value of the Carpenters music. I'm proud to disappoint them.

2. David A

David A New Member

Hmmm my last post is a bit off-topic, even though it was responding to something else on this thread.

So...this is an excellent book, and the only thing I've read that gave me a sense of what it was like to "be there" at that time. It was unapologetic and fair; Karen was a human being and of course as such, wasn't always the "angel". That candidness is what in part made this book believable. Like most readers, I'd imagine, it also makes me angry; angry that her life came apart as it did, and that the help she needed just wasn't there; because the people at the time didn't understand what was happening to her, and why, and that the knowledge of eating disorders was, at that time, still in it's infancy.

It also confirmed for me what I've always believed; Karen was a good person and immensely talented.

Speaking for myself, I'm thankful that Mr. Schmidt cared enough about Karen's legacy to write this book when he did; time was/is running short. If this book wasn't written when it was, it is doubtful we'd have this type of insight into Karen's life, as the people that were there, and told their stories, are getting old and passing.

Tapdancer likes this.
  3. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Very true and that's what's so sad. Evelyn Wallace, Tony Peluso, Roger Young, Doug Strawn, Agnes and Harold Carpenter among them and of course, Karen herself.

David A likes this.
  4. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

All of those children--those chosen to participate in performing
    "Sing" in concert with the duo---
    Where are their stories of this encounter ?
    Certainly there are many who remember this episode from their childhood ?

5. I always wondered the same thing, and those who participated in the studio recording. I can't think of any time when I heard anyone even mention the idea of wondering if they had memories or it or who they are. I don't think I've heard any stories and by now, if thy existed, we would probably have heard.

6. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Member

UT
    I found this blog where a man recounts his experience singing with Karen and Richard when they played Rexburg, Idaho. I liked that he included a picture of his ticket and a picture of himself performing "Sing" onstage with Karen.

bascombemania.blogspot.com/2015/12/me-singing-with-carpenters.html

natureaker, GaryAlan, Murray and 4 others like this.