LOST TREASURES CD Cover Art and Song Listing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow.

haven't been around in a while and i'm just reading about this now.

first of all, i'm glad there is the rarities cd but considering the albums were so skimpy in the first place, dontcha think they could have added some rare or at least alternate takes to the cds?

or better yet combined them 2 on a cd like the beach boys or percy faith reissues

anyway i'm most excited about the bacharach songs. "promises promises" and "never fall in love again" are really 2 of the best songs he's ever written. i only wish herb would have also tackled "wanting things" and "knowing when to leave," from the same fantastic score

burt & A & M go together like hands in gloves

but when i was buying lps in 66-67 i was buying herb alpert, brasil 66, the fifth dimension, the mamas & the papas and spanky and our gang. these groups and their records eptomized the best of 60's pop for me.

gee herb should have tried a stab at "like to get to know you" as well

walterphil said:
first of all, i'm glad there is the rarities cd but considering the albums were so skimpy in the first place, dontcha think they could have added some rare or at least alternate takes to the cds?

or better yet combined them 2 on a cd like the beach boys or percy faith reissues

They definitely did not want to go that route. Randy pointed out how well the Beatles reissues went by reissuing them in their original way and have a separate rarities disc. I agree with him.

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, we've had that argument before. I think in a lot of cases the "extras" added to old albums are really things that didn't make "the cut" the first time and weren't considered good enough to release. Whereas many of the songs on LOST TREASURES didn't make the "cut," not because of quality necessarily, but because of space limitations. So LT will hold up as a great album all on its own.

walterphil said:
but when i was buying lps in 66-67 i was buying herb alpert, brasil 66, the fifth dimension, the mamas & the papas and spanky and our gang. these groups and their records eptomized the best of 60's pop for me.

Ahh...60s pop; the kind you mention, as well as several others that come to mind. The Association, Dennis Yost and the Classics IV, the Turtles, Johnny Rivers, Tommy James and the Shondells, the Rascals, etc.

There were also some nice instrumental tunes from that time that I really liked also. Songs like Love Is Blue by Paul Maurait, Soul Coaxing by Raymond Lefevre, Soulful Strut by Young-Holt Unlimited, Hungry for Love by the San Remo Golden Strings, some of the stuff done by Phil Bodner and the Brass Ring, etc.

Anyone remember Morning Girl by the Neon Philharmonic? How about The Worst That Could Happen, or Welcome Me Love, by Johnny Maestro and the Brooklyn Bridge?

It was the very best of times for this general type of music. Instrumental pop, soft rock, bubblegum, etc. Songs with nice melodies, nice chord changes, and nice lyrics - just plain fun, and at times, very emotional. I have so many memories of that time, and often a song or songs for each memory.

What ever happened to it? Today, we have the likes of Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, and RAP :thumbsdn:

Loved the sixties pop...loved it, loved it, loved it! Did I say loved it? :D

On with the reissues... :thumbsup:

I've always wished I'd been a bit older in the '60s. If for no other reason, most definitely for the music -- the best (IMHO) in many years.

Jon

...who agrees with walterphil about "I'd Like To Get To Know You" and the Brass...

the thing about herb was that you never knew where he'd take a song. of course that was his genius.

i mean if, before you'd heard them, and someone had mentioned that he was gonna record "if i were a rich man," "never on a sunday" or "we've got a lot of livin to do," most of us would think...yeah right...

walterphil said:
The thing about herb was that you never knew where he'd take a song. of course that was his genius.

Yep! My first exposure to songs like "Girl From Ipanema", "A Taste Of Honey" and "Lollipops & Roses" was HErb's versions. When I heard the other (in some cases the "standard") versions they took some getting used to. Hell, I didn't even recognize the three I mention above!

--Mr Bill
to whom Herb's versions will always be the standards...

Same here. I remember reading about "Getting Sentimental over You" being traditionally a ballad (I think it was in the liner notes to GREATEST HITS if I'm not mistaken) but it was still a long time until I actually heard the song played slowly. It's a great tune either way.

Agreed. I mean, look at "Thanks For The Memory" from BEAT OF THE BRASS. Up to that point, I'd always heard Bob Hope sing it as a slow farewell ballad. Herb's version gave it a kick, upped the rhythm and turned it into an up-tune...another example of Herb & the TJB making a classic their own.

Jon

Mike Blakesley said:
Same here. I remember reading about "Getting Sentimental over You" being traditionally a ballad. It's a great tune either way.

Yes, it was Tommy Dorsey's signature tune, and he played it in Db, if I remember correctly. Kind of a high part for trombone. Most big band charts have it in Bb today. It's definitely a gorgeous tune!

Capt. Bacardi

I personally always really loved Chet Baker's Mariachi Brass version of "Flowers On The Wall" and I'm really anxious to hear Herb's take on it. I wonder if it was recorded around the same time? Chet Baker fans are always so down on The Mariachi Brass recordings, and I understand that his heart wasn't in that type of music, that he didn't particularly want to do those sessions and that his fans probably consider those records to be beneath him, but the fact remains that they are engaging arrangements of pop hits played by outstanding musicians. Musically, there's nothing wrong with them. Herb Alpert has always maintained that he is, first and foremost, a jazz musician. If I can accept him playing "Lollipops and Roses", then I can accept Chet Baker playing "Tequila".

As far as the "bonus tracks" and "two-fer" debate, I'd always rather have more for my money. I'd buy Tijuana Brass CDs if they were released one song to a disc, but I still feel that the original LPs were too short to really justify not including something extra on the CD. I like the idea of "two-fers" or mono single versions of tracks from the LP being added. As far as the bonus tracks not fitting in with the continuity of the original LP, that doesn't matter to me because I'm going to take all of these discs and compile my own CDs anyway.
I guess the bottom line is, I'd rather acquire all the tracks that are going to be released on as few discs as possible and save some $$.

The first round of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass releases on February 8th is exciting. My order has been in for weeks now. My anticipation of this long awaited event is almost overwhelming. It is a fitting tribute on this, the upcoming 6th anniversary of the passing of our dear friend, the great Julius Wechter. Let us remember, it was Herb who had the tremendous appreciation for great talent, and it is he who gathered these giants to play in these recording sessions. Like Herb, and Julius, each was a brilliant musician. Indeed, we should be thankful we have found these "Lost Treasures".

Tom :D

I still feel that the original LPs were too short to really justify not including something extra on the CD.

You have to consider the original album as a "complete work." Then it doesn't matter how long or short it is, it just is what it is.

I can think of a lot of more recent albums that were actually hurt by the longer CD running time.

Herb's different direction that a song would usually take is probably most evident on his most famous arrangement:"A Taste of Honey". "Honey" had almost always been done in as a sad waltz-the lyric speak of a lover who dies a bitter death while waiting for never-returning lover- and Herb's take on this sounds as happy as a child with a new toy. Bobby Scott's song is strong enough to take the twist-but no one had ever attempted to mess around with that song before Herb brought his version out. Mac

I wonder if there are any "outtake" tracks of ATOH that don't have the bass-drum downbeat? Herb has said that wasn't originally intended to be in the arrangement but he liked the way it sounded and left it in. It'd be interesting to hear what his original intentions were.

Mike Blakesley said:
I wonder if there are any "outtake" tracks of ATOH that don't have the bass-drum downbeat? Herb has said that wasn't originally intended to be in the arrangement but he liked the way it sounded and left it in. It'd be interesting to hear what his original intentions were.

When I talked to Hal Blaine a few years ago he said that the original idea was a drum fill and then the band would come in. But for whatever reason the band just couldn't come in at the right time, so out of part frustration and part sarcasm Blaine just did the THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP so that the band would time it right and a legend was born. He couldn't remember exactly how the drum fill was supposed to be, however.

Capt. Bacardi

Tom said it best!! I couldn't agree with him more...I know we're all happy to see the release of the TJB titles, along with any bonus material. I can't wait, either!! :)

Jon

Montana Mike said:
I wonder if there are any "outtake" tracks of ATOH that don't have the bass-drum downbeat?

I have a hunch that it may be part of what makes the WC&OD reissue an "expanded" release...

Maybe it will have some of the early B-sides (Like "MDM")

--Mr B
Theorizing... online

Perhaps too, we might get the release of "A Taste Of Honey" with the added strings that was used on the TV special. Maybe even that "Magic Trumpet" version with the high trumpet added.

Harry

It could be interesting what may be included on that CD, since it has turned out to be the most popular TJB album in the catalog. So many people identify with that album and the cover, I'm sure there will probably be a couple of nice surprises on there. :agree:

If sales of WHIPPED CREAM are markedly better than the other albums, I wonder if they might reconsider doing "expanded" treatment for some of the other blockbuster albums? I'm thinking mostly of GOING PLACES, I guess (since it had the most hits) and maybe WHAT NOW MY LOVE.

I hope not. I say put all the "expanded" selections on a 'LOST TREASURES VOL. 2" CD. Keep the originals in their original form. As someone said, they are works of art not to be tampered with. It would be like putting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Who cares if the times are a bit short? No one cared when they were records. I hope since they've decided to "expand" WHIPPED CREAM that they put the bonus material on a second disc. If they use that approach, then I'm fine with it. Otherwise, I would rather they gather all the bonuses and make a LT 2 disc.

David,
wanting the originals to stay original.......

Fortunately, in the case of WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS, hardcore fans like already have the original CD without the extras. So if we're also purists who want the extra stuff elsewhere, we can consider the new disc, if extras are indeed included, to be the 'extra' disc.

Harry
...with probably too many 'extras' in that post, online...

Plucky87 said:
ShoutFactory.com has shown the upcoming cover art for The Lonely Bull, South Of The Border, and Lost Treasures in their Upcoming section! Here is a song list for Lost Treasures:

1. Up Cherry Street
2. Lazy Day
3. Wailing Of The Willow
4. Fire And Rain
5. And I Love Her
6. I Can’t Go On Living, Baby, Without You
7. (They Long To Be) Close To You
8. Promises Promises
9. Happy Hour
10. Julius And Me
11. I Might Frighten Her Away
12. Alone Again (Naturally)
13. Tennessee Waltz
14. Tradewinds
15. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
16. Flowers On The Wall
17. Popcorn
18. Chris
19. Killing Me Softly
20. I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
21. Speakeasy
22. Whistlestar

This is certainly the most exciting TJB news in decades!

The most puzzling aspect of this list has got to be the 5 songs used in You Smile -- The Song Begins. I can't believe that these could be identical versions to those on the album (in place of the album being re-released). My theory is that they are tracks from a period when the sound of the new band was still being experimented on. My guess is that once the new sound began to gel, Herb began to rethink tracks that sounded more like the earlier TJB. Or maybe the opposite was the case -- maybe these tracks on Lost Treasures were more jazz-infused whereas the final YS-TSB album retains tighter arrangements. After all, if we ignore Up Cherry Street, which in theory could have been recorded any time from 1964 on, the other four tracks are perhaps the most the most pop-oriented, non-jazz oriented arrangements on that album.

Some random notes:

- The Wailing of the Willow and Tradewinds are interesting trumpet puns -- could these be among the lost Sol Lake originals?

-Julius and Me might be a retitled tune. (As I assume "Bud" was, after Bud Coleman's death.)

-As someone else suggested "Popcorn" might be a lost Whipped Cream track rather than the pop-ular 70's instrumental.

-Leonard Cohen sings "The Tennessee Waltz" in his latest album. I wonder if this and Flowers on the Wall, which is also sort of country song, come from the Brass Are Comin' period.

-One thing we can conclude from this list is that tracks are not presented in chronological order (unless the track list has been scrambled)

-The 4 other You Smile--The Song Begins songs makes Up Cherry Street look like a member of the gang, but maybe it's an even earlier version of the South of the Border song (as Winds of Barcelona was a first draft of El Presidente). But it's hard to imagine that Lost Treasures would begin with a song that was judged not strong enough for the first two albums. So my guess is that it was more likely a 1965 attempt to improve upon the 1964 arrangement. My guess is that a few lost treasures are songs that were recording after South of the Border but before the WC&OD concept album was conceived as such.

-It would be wonderful if liner notes for the re-releases mentioned the date of each recording.

David

P.S. A Herb Alpert song inspired a recent Maureen Dowd column in the New York Times: "Don't Know Much About History..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom