LOST TREASURES

73727062241c31c03c2bdd.thumb.jpg

Songs:
  • 01. Up Cherry Street (Julius Wechter) 2:35
    02. Lazy Day (George Fischoff/Tony Powers) 2:56
    03. Wailing Of The Willow (Harry Nilsson/Ian Freebairn-Smith) 2:52
    04. Fire And Rain (James Taylor) 2:44
    05. And I Love Her (John Lennon/Paul McCartney) 2:47
    06. I Can't Go On Living, Baby, Without You (Nino Tempo/Jerry Riopelle) 2:38
    07. (They Long To Be) Close To You (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) 2:22
    08. Promises, Promises (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) 2:34
    09. Happy Hour (Mike Barone) 1:52
    10. Julius And Me (Julius Wechter) 1:32
    11. I Might Frighten Her Away (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) 4:14
    12. Alone Again (Naturally) (Gilbert O'Sullivan) 2:14
    13. Tennessee Waltz (Pee Wee King/Redd Stewart) 2:33
    14. Tradewinds (Herb Alpert) 3:03
    15. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) 2:02
    16. Flowers On The Wall (Lewis DeWitt) 2:06
    17. Popcorn (Gershon Kingsley) 3:45
    18. Chris (John Pisano) 2:33
    19. Killing Me Softly (Charles Fox/Norman Gimbel) 3:59
    20. I'll Never Fall In Love Again (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) 3:18
    21. Speakeasy (Herb Alpert/John Pisano) 1:51
    22. Whistlestar (Cat Stevens) 3:26

Okay, the CD is out so let us know what you think of it. Let's keep this discussion to ONLY this album. We'll get to Lonely Bull and South Of The Border a bit later on.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Lost Treasures

I suppose this sounds rather obvious, but I think I can always identify the tracks that were written by Herb or one of the other people in close proximity to the A&M "core," such as Julius Wechter or John Pisano. Even without looking at the songwriting credits.

There is a certain sound that their songs have that set them apart from the covers of other songs. Obviously, you would probably expect as much, but when I listen to it, I can almost tell that tracks 1, 10, 14, 18, and 21 have what I think is the distinctly original Alpert, Pisano, Wechter, etc. sound.

I think there is something unique about the melodies and sound of songs that are created by those composers/instrumentalists.

I'd like to hear from our sharp-eared folks here on which album they think each of the LOST TREASURES tracks might have been targeted for, based on the sound, the style, etc.

I've got a few ideas, but want to see what others think.

Harry

I don't think I hear anything here that is reminiscent of any album earlier than SRO...generally the sound seems to be later TJB. The trumpet sounds more like the sound from SRO onward...to my ears, there was a change in sound between What Now My Love and SRO...

I'm surprised that there isn't anything from Sol Lake on the album...maybe there will be a LOST TREASURES VOL 2, after all...

Dan

The topic of this thread is KILLING ME. My delivery date in New Zealand isn't till the 25th at the earliest and Amazon hasn't even shipped it yet!! :cry:

To my ears, "Happy Hour" feels like it is right off of the S.R.O. album, and "And I Love Her" feels like it dates back as far as SOTB or WC&OD (listen to the instrumentation).

Flowers On The Wall sounds to me to be What Now My Love or maybe Going Places material, particularly because of the mandolin. I can not identify anything that sounds like it might be from 1963.

Does anyone have an idea of the half dozen or so Sol Lake songs that Randy Alpert was talking about? Could they possibly be the expanded edition portion of the Whipped Cream CD?

Thanks, Carlito

Happy Hour indeed sounds right off of SRO, until the break where the trumpet-trombone voicing sounds very much like the early 70's albums.

And I Love Her...I hadn't thought of the possibility of it being so early, but maybe so....the only thing that throws me there is the bow arco bass in the beginning. Of course, Herb was experimenting alot then.

And what about Tennesee Waltz being another cut for Brass Are Comin', what with the left-handed rhythm piano and twangy guitar sound?

When I got home, I put LT in a boom box and climbed on my elliptical trainer. What a ride!! The first thing I notice is the incredible sound quality. It was like they were performing right in the room with me. The marimbas jumped out and the trumpet harmonies are awesome. I did notice some abrupt starts and finishes after they were brought to our attention in another post, but they are no problem for me.

Up Cherry Street -- a long time favorite-- is so alive and happy. Maybe not as smooth as the album version, but definitely more fun!

Happy Hour and Speakeasy will definitely be played often, as will Popcorn.

Tennessee Waltz feels like a great attempt to see if the TJB could beat Danny Davis at the Nashville game. (They could!)

Flowers on the Wall is great. It felt like it would fit on the album The Brass Are Comin' right between Cowboys and Indians and I'm an Old Cowhand. ( I know! I know! That's not Herb's most sophisticated work, but for me happy and fun trump sophistication any day. For that reason, Whistlestar is another unexpected treat.)

Julius and Me feels like a cut from a mid-career Baja Marimba Band album.

I definitely think that the decision to give Close to You to the Carpenters was a very wise move. The whole song feels much better than the online sample-- which is true for all of the cuts. The online samples just don't do justice.

The other songs, most of them covers, would fit comfortably on any of the post -Ninth TJB albums. They are nice, but I have always preferred the original compositions. Here is hoping there is a Lost Treasures Volume 2 with more 1963 - 1966 material.

THANKS HERB!!

Phil

A devoted fan since about 1966

WOW!

quick comments...

1. Great mix of music/styles
2. Mr. Alpert's trumpet playing is very strong & very sweet
3. "Julius and Me" Very good song, choked me up a bit after reading the liner notes on it.
4. I felt like I was 15 years old again getting my new "Tijuana Brass" record.
5. I hadn't realized how much I missed, (JW refered to me as...) "Happy Music"
6. I've been around "jazz" and "classical" players my whole life and... they're all snobs...............Keep them comin' Mr. A.
Sinceramente, JO

Just back from my mobile listening party! Here's my thoughts on a few tracks after one listen...

Overall I like the album very much! It was such a pleasure to hear Herb playing with Julius again. I guess I always knew that he was an integral part of the TJB sound, but on this record anyway, he seems to stand out even more than usual. I hope Cissy Wechter has a copy of this disk.

Up Cherry Street - I liked this better than the YS-TSB version. It seems a bit less busy somehow. Great trombone work. A great opener.

Lazy Day - Clearly from the CONEY ISLAND period. I was surprised this was as mellow as it was but I liked the sound of it. Nice understated arrangement.

Fire and Rain - I expected to hate this because of the muted trumpet, but I think I like it better than the single version (which I haven't played in a while.) Turns out the muted trumpet works well. Catchy!

And I Love Her - Sounds like something out of the SOTB period. I agree with Neil - the instrumentation gives it away, as does the overall sound.

Close to You - I didn't like this too much. It's a good thing this wasn't used as a followup to "This Guy." I can't understand Herb's rationale for this arrangement...the lyrics almost automatically say "BALLAD, HERB!" and he turns it into a fast samba? I don't get it. But, I notice the little piano filligree that Herb insisted that Richard insert into the Carpenters recording is included here too. That's cool.

Promises, Promises - I like the original album version of this slightly better, but this is still outstanding. It's one of my all time favorite Herb recordings. Just a killer arrangement of a killer song. The scat vocals are what put it over the top. Awesome.

Happy Hour - Sounds like right out of the NINTH period. In fact they probably had to pick between this and "The Happening" for the album. This is a real keeper. I was wishing it was longer.

Julius and Me - Like others, I got goosebumps listening to this and thinking what Herb must have been thinking and feeling when he did the new trumpet part. I can see why it might not have been "TJB album" material -- it doesn't have the "hook" of some of Julius' other tunes -- but great playing by both Herb and Julius.

I Might Frighten Her Away - I've always stayed away from this one on YS-TSB because my record has some groove distortion, which makes this song pretty much unlistenable. The original Bacharach version is one of my favorite of his songs, and this version is excellent too. Very heartfelt.

Tennessee Waltz - I expected to like this and wasn't disappointed. Any time Herb takes an old classic song and screws with its tempo, it's great. (Thinking of "America" or "Town Without Pity" or "Getting Sentimental Over You.")

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head - Probably the most disappointing track here for me. It sounds like a throwaway. I don't know what I was expecting on this, but it sounds like an experiment that didn't pan out. The ending where Herb turns the BJ Thomas trumpet riff on its ear was cool though.

Popcorn - I liked this more than I expected to. The original record in the 70s was kind of annoying. The TJB version sounds like it was written for them.

Killing Me Softly - Nice version. Again, Herb's heartfelt playing puts it over.

I'll Never Fall In Love Again - This sounds like something early, especially in the vocals. I guess it's hard coming up with fresh treatments of Bacharach songs when they are so iconic, but I didn't like this as much as I hoped I would.

Whistlestar - My favorite post-TJB single. I wound up liking this one even better than the original. The extra tag on the end was an unexpected treat, and I liked how the steel drum break on the original 45 was replaced by more trumpet. A great ending to an excellent CD.

Great Edmondson trombone sprinkled through...occasional "Yeah!" shouts in the background... it's not every album that just listening to it puts a smile on my face, but this did it over and over.

I'm ready for LOST TREASURES Part II any time!

:thumbsup: My first post here, and I would first wish to thank Herb Alpert and everyone at Shout!Factory for re-issuing these CD's. I must have listened to Lost Treasures 4 times over, and each time, a track will move me in a way, that where I might have been interested in say 15 of the 22 tracks, I'll be into 16. I missed the first time TJB was issued on CD back in late '80's, and can't wait for future releases. The Shout! CD's are done superb, everything is top-notch. This forum is a great thing!
John Christman

LOST TREASURES gets better and better with each play. The first few times through, I was skipping over the YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS stuff since I'd heard that stuff a lot and wanted to hear the REALLY new stuff.

On the way to work this morning I just let it track all the way through and I have to say that even the old YOU SMILE tracks were nicely freshened up enough to sound 'new'.

The album just keeps getting better and better.

Is "Happy Hour" a great track, or what? It crams so much into less than two mintues - it's incredible.

Harry
NP: radio at work

I will be buying this tomorrow, but don't the liner notes say when stuff was recorded? If not, that's pretty sad!

My one disapointment was a lack of track information. I've been trying to figure out what tracks featured a new trumpet lead by Herb.

I guess I have become used to what Richard Carpenter does with his re-issues. He states when it was recorded, and when any re-corderding or re-mixing was done.

That's my one quibble with the disk ....no track info and no musician credits. Could be that some of the info is lost to time and Herb didn't want to guess at who played on what, or when things were recorded.

Mike Blakesley said:
That's my one quibble with the disk ....no track info and no musician credits. Could be that some of the info is lost to time and Herb didn't want to guess at who played on what, or when things were recorded.

I think there's a lot of truth to that - it was so many years ago, and there were probably many musicians in and out of studios for various sessions that listing who played what is simply impossible at this point in time. We know from Carol Kaye, who played on at least some of the TjB sessions that musicians came and went - did their jobs and disappeared into the murky fabric of history.

Look at some of the A&M/Verve re-issues where musician credits WERE attempted, and quite a few times were just left blank or as question marks. It likely wasn't documented, and reconstructing the info now is virtually impossible.

I'm content to immerse myself in the music, much like Herb, and just enjoy it for what it is. It's not that often these days where a new CD puts a smile on my face. LOST TREASURES does just that.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Some good news. This morning about 6:30 as I was heading to work one of our local stations in Austin - KGSR - played "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head". I was shocked!

Capt. Bacardi

When I listen to Happy Hour, I think Beat of the Brass...

IMO, it is like a "cousin" to Slick. A melodic groove with a driving rhythm background.

I think Happy Hour has perhaps the most radio potential so far...although there are a couple others also...

Absolutley Delightful.

I am grinning from ear to ear. Great songs, great sounds and great memories. As somone mentioned earlier, I feel like I am 15 and listening to my new TJB album.

I have purchased every new Herb Alpert album since 1965 (Whipped Cream) and cannot wait for Whipped Cream, Going Places, Sounds Like and Warm!

Thank you very much Herb.

Christmas came today, when I received my copies from Amazon. The two tracks that jumped out at me after the first play were 'Happy Hour' and 'Flowers on the Wall'. Those two took me back to a long ago period when a new TJB record was released. Sometimes I have to listen to a song a few times before it grows on me,but those two jumped right out at me. I would say that of the 22 tunes, over half were from the 1973-75 period. Now, at least I have something new to listen to. Great album...

This is my opinion only because I have been in the music business for quite a while!

Back in the day, session musicians were payed an agreed upon fee for their performance on a record...period!!! No names, no acknowledgement. The artist got more recognition for the recording no matter who played on the record. Being the intelligent Jewish business man that he was, Herb was in control, and made all the money! :wink:

It wasn't until the touring band of TJB musicians was formed that anyone's names appeared on any albums, and it took until SRO to get any acknowledgement of who played on the albums. I'm sure the guys ganged up on Herb and wanted a piece of the action too. Up until then the only people making money off the albums were the songwriters, which Herb had a pice of, the artist, which was Alpert, and the record label, which was Alpert and Moss.

Alpert paved the way for musicians to be smart businessmen. No slam intended when I say Jewish, but Jewish people tend to be very strong and intelligent businessmen. Without that heritage we may not have had the TJB we know and love today. :cheers:

Even after SRO the touring band was not mentioned on every album. I'm sure he had a contract with all touring TJB members for every album whether they were mentioned or not because Herb still used a bunch of studio musicians on these albums which cost him session fees also. By then I'm sure he could afford it.

The point I am trying to make is that the early musicians were payed a session fee to play and not have their name put on the album. If they were put on today, it may require permission and another fee to be payed. Which I'm sure no one wants to pay.

The other scenario may be that there was no log kept of who played on what. But, I find that hard to believe since Herb dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" and payed all the fees. There is a log somewhere. I'm sure it is a money issue. :rolleyes:

Ahhh the music business. As you can see, it is not as easy as re-master and re-release. Today, musicians negotiate a piece of the rock. If you are smart, everyone gets a piece of the action! :thumbsup: I'm sure with Herb, all the original contracts are still in tact. Business, business,business!!

Thank You Herb for cutting through all the crap and respecting your legions of fans, the next few years will be incredible!! :D

Marty Hurrikane

First off, before I start my review of LT, let me say that there are more interesting TJB threads going right now than I've seen here at once in a long, long time. Before I give a track review, I will say that the sound quality overall is pretty good. All three of these releases are recorded noticeably louder than the old CDs, which means that these new CDs will sit nicely on the CD changer with my Cake, No Doubt, Fastball, Jim Brickman Oh, and Almo Herb Alpert CDs. They will, however, drown the hell out of all my Japanese A&M reissues, Mantovani, American Olivia CDs and virtually all my "easy listening" CDs. A complaint I've had with CD releases since about the mid 90's. No standardized recording level. I also question the durability of the digi-pack jackets. Overall, I am VERY pleased with this CD. Herb has always been one of those artists that I could buy a CD without knowing any of the songs on it and know that I will at least like it. However, this doesn't sound like a bunch of leftovers to me. Rather, they sound fresh and cohesive and could have been a follow-up to Coney Island.
UP CHERRY STREET- Always was a great tune. Here we are treated to Bob Edmonson's trombone fills and a dixieland piano bridge instead of the familiar whistling. I really like this arrangement possibly more than the YSTSB version.

LAZY DAY- Another great arrangement! I disagree with earlier posts about the time period, though. I think it was recorded during the SUMMERTIME sessions. Herb's trumpet tone sounds like that album and John Pisano's guitar is easily recognizable along with the same style of drumming.

WAILING OF THE WILLOW- Pretty tune and a nice addition to the disc.

FIRE AND RAIN-My one disappointment on the album. I was hoping it would be the B-side of "Last Tango" from the 45. That arrangement was great! Why Herb didn't throw it right on I can't understand. Not that this arrangement sounds bad. It just doesn't sound TJB. The muted trumpet is out of place here. Had he put it as a bonus track when SECOND WIND or PASSION DANCE gets reissued, I would probably take to it better.

AND I LOVE HER- This was either the loser to "All My Loving" for SOTB or "I'll Be Back" for TBAC. It could have fit on either album. I like the arrangement very much. He does the slower tempo and turns on the schmaltz.

I CAN'T GO ON LIVING BABY, WITHOUT YOU- I've always loved this song and thought it was perfect for the TJB sound. Don't know if it's better than the original, but I'm glad to finally have it on CD. It's one of the best tracks from YSTSB.

CLOSE TO YOU- While I find Herb's version enjoyable, I think he was smart in giving it to the Carpenters. He would not have had the success he enjoyed with "This Guy" even though there's some nice trumpet riffs in there.

PROMISES, PROMISES- Nice, but I like the YSTSB version better. Herb could have put "El Bimbo" here instead. But certainly enjoyable.

HAPPY HOUR- Nice tune with the SRO or SOUNDS LIKE feel to it. Although the liner notes say that the trumpet part is newly recorded.

JULIUS AND ME- A beautiful tribute to the one and only Mr. Wechter. Sounds like it would go on CONEY ISLAND.

I MIGHT FRIGHTEN HER AWAY- Not a huge amount of difference over the YSTSB version, but great to have on CD. Yet another Bacharach tune that Herb put the magic touch on.

ALONE AGAIN(Naturally)- More of Herb's trumpet than the original and differnt phrasing. I like both versions equally.

TENNESSEE WALTZ- I think there came a point where Herb said let's beat all the Ti-Wannabees at their own game. Hence the TJB performing "Music To Watch Girls By" at concerts. This arrangement shows Danny Davis who's boss! If Herb had released this song back in the sixties, he would have been the first Jewish trumpeter to be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry!

TRADEWINDS-Another great melody. Herb sure knows how to pick them!

RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN" ON MY HEAD- It's ironic that Herb recorded this tune since many people thought he did the trumpet solo on the B J Thomas version. Very bouncy and unusual arrangement.

FLOWERS ON THE WALL- One of my favorite tunes on the album. It is definitely 1965-1966 TJB. Bud Coleman's mandolin can be heard. They could definitely make this one a single.

POPCORN- I think this is the strongest candidate on the album for release as a single. It sounds tailor-made for TJB treatment and is qrowing on me with every play.

CHRIS- I like very much. Not sure about the time period on this one though.

KILLING ME SOFTLY-This is one of those grossly over-played, gag me with a spoon, enough already over-covered songs that make me flip the radio dial by the 4th note. However.....I LOVE Herb's version. It's amazing what a TJB make over can do for a song! It's one of my favorite tracks on the disc! Shame on me!......

I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN- Sounds like new Herb vocal tracks in this song. Not a bad arrangement, but not one of the stronger songs on the disc.

SPEAKEASY- Like this one. The whole band rocks and the arrangement is first rate.

WHISTLESTAR- Different arrangement from the 45 entitled "Whistle Song". I like the different ending.

All together a great set of tunes from the Master. I come away wanting more, which is what I believe Herb intended. That's why I believe even more now that there will be a LT Volume 2.

David,
welcoming Herb Alpert back into the music stores again...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom