Votes: 24 45.3%

Votes: 6 11.3%

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think "Promises" has a new trumpet. Most of the playing sounds similar on both versions. Like I said above, the YOU SMILE version just sounds more finished, there are less empty-sounding spots in the mix. If you compare the two you'll know what I mean instantly.

We know of a few tracks that definitely have recent trumpet -- "Julius and Me" is one. I don't remember the others offhand but I'm sure somebody will chime in. It's also guessed-at elsewhere in this or other LT threads.

I know I'd heard through the grapevine that HA had recorded new trumpet parts for some of the songs. A few years ago, some of us thought he was re-recording parts on the original TJB albums, but as we can all tell now, those are untampered.

Having grown up with You Smile, though, I can tell which songs have different trumpet parts. "I Might Frighten Her Away" may still have the original part, but "Up Cherry Street" and "Promises Promises" definitely have different parts. On my system, the different trumpet parts just sound newer than the original recordings, although I can't pinpoint exactly what (different trumpet style, or maybe the cleaner sound of newly recorded parts). "Fire and Rain", a B-side, originally had an open trumpet, where it now has the mute, which he rarely if ever played back in those days. Finally, you have to consider that some of the tracks on here were probably unfinished, and just needed some good mixing and a fresh trumpet part to make them listenable. If they were releasable back then, they probably would have shown up as B-sides.

Some differences, true...I just attributed that to his using a different "take" for LT. I didn't notice a huge difference in the sound, but if it does sound better, it could be due to remastering too I guess.

Not sure if it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but I wonder if the trumpet solo on CLOSE TO YOU wasn'tr a recent addition...

Dan

Mike Blakesley said:
Some differences, true...I just attributed that to his using a different "take" for LT. I didn't notice a huge difference in the sound, but if it does sound better, it could be due to remastering too I guess.

It's more like the Carpenters re-recordings: the newly recorded parts are layered with older ones, and I can hear the difference. The newer ones sound cleaner and more sterile, where the originals have that 70s analog sound to them. That's mainly why I only listen to the original Carpenters albums...the newer ones (even the SACD, nice as the surround mixes are) make the re-recorded parts stick out like a sore thumb IMHO.

I need to listen to that album on my "good" headphones and see what I can hear. So far I've only played it in the vehicle or on the computer. Having no spare time sort of makes listening to music a multi-task pursuit!

Reading through another old thread about mono recordings ( http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3454 ), I was taken by re-reading something Rudy and I discussed with regard to YOU SMILE - THE SONG BEGINS. That discussion centered on the "mono-ness" of that album.

Here in THIS thread, the discussion was quite a bit about the differences between the LOST TREASURES tracks that were also on YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS.

So I put two and two together and came up with the fact that the newer LOST TREASURES versions of the YOU SMILE tracks seem to have more stereo information in them than the old LP versions.

Listening to the tracks with OOPS turned on reveals the differences. That old YOU SMILE album really didn't have much stereo separation, - and it turns out that CONEY ISLAND didn't either - but the new remixes that Larry Levine and Herb did on LOST TREASURES have more stereo going on.

Just a little addendum to this old thread.

Harry

DAN BOLTON said:
Not sure if it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but I wonder if the trumpet solo on CLOSE TO YOU wasn'tr a recent addition...

Another two-years-late followup post. :D

It probably was recent. A lot of those tracks were recorded but unfinished, so they likely had new trumpet parts recorded for them.

Herb's style also changed over the course of 30-40 years, and I hear stylistic differences even on the "You Smile" tracks as well as the "lost" ones.

I'm going to play Lost Treasures this weekend since it has been a while... It's always interesting to listen with some time passed.
Good thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom