Love Potion #9 in "The Graduate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimac51

The TJB version of "Love Potion #9" from "Whipped Cream" is used in the current Broadway production of "The Graduate" and appears on the "Music From" album on Sony Legacy. A strange hybrid-not really an Original Broadway Cast,it contains nothing but '60s songs(yes,Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson") and not a soundtrack,since it isn't a flm. The production stars Kathleen Turner,reprising her London performance as Mrs. Robinson,noted for a nude scene. Newsweek panned the play,noting that Jason Briggs will never be Dustin Hoffman and Alicia Silverstone is out of her league as Elaine,the Katherine ross role. Wonder if Herb caught a performance while in NYC for his film opening? Mac

The movie has Ben (Dustin Hoffman) and Elaine (Katherine Ross) briefly visiting a burlesque club on their first date. If this scene is also in the stage version, I'd guess that's where "Love Potion #9" is used.

- William

This quote is from an article about this year's Tony Awards nominations:

``The Graduate,'' the Kathleen Turner star vehicle based on the Mike Nichols classic film comedy, got no nominations. It also got some of the worse reviews of the season.

I think it best that any Herb connection to this be quickly dismissed.

Harry
...fan of THE GRADUATE on film, online...

Not a big fan of stage productions myself (especially bad movie adaptations), but I've been lucky to catch a few good ones over the years. The best was probably Les Miserables, which had a long stay in town. (It was so popular that sweatshirts were being worn by everyone around town...almost as prevalent as hockey jerseys. :wink: Still have mine, in fact.)

We also saw Meet Me In St. Louis that had, IIRC, Debby Boone in the lead role. We also saw a very clever stage adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, and although I don't remember who did the wicked witch, it was someone well known and she was the show favorite by far. (Wicked, but also had some sly humor.)

The only one I'd really like to see on the stage would be West Side Story.

-= N =-
...of The Jets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom