1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

LP / 7" Artwork

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Billy Rees, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Billy Rees

Billy Rees New Member Thread Starter

UK
    I've been collecting Carpenters picture sleeves (mostly 7" singles) for years, and as there were hardly any releases in the UK with them, most of them in my collection are from abroad... I think this 1970 LP from Germany is one of my favourites!

[​IMG]

2. Billy Rees

UK
    Something I have noticed is that one of the 7" singles has two different titles!
    On one sleeve has "Make Believe It's Your First Time" and on another "Make Believe It's The First Time"...

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  3. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

LOVE that sleeve cover! Is that an LP or a single? If it’s an LP what’s the tracklist?

4. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post, @Billy Rees! I have never seen that picture before...

5. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Groovy early photo. I've never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing :)

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    Thanks for the "Offering" love this early photo sleeve. Welcome to the forum!!

7. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Active Member

That's an interesting sleeve shot for the 'We've Only Just Begun' single - presumably the photo's from 1969?

The UK was a bit behind other markets in giving singles picture sleeves - aside from the Christmas singles, I think 'Beechwood' and 'Make Believe...' were the first singles to get proper sleeves (I think it was the UK sleeve that gave the mistaken title 'Make Believe It's the First Time').

The Netherlands and Germany had picture sleeve singles much earlier than that, and of course Japan made a speciality out of them!

8. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Karen looking totally groovy! Great early photo of the duo. Thank You.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

I’ve got the UK version of the 1974 Santa Claus single that uses the exact same artwork as the North American 45.

10. newvillefan

Yep that’s true, I’ve got the single complete with incorrect title on the sleeve.

11. Billy Rees

UK
    It's basically a slightly re-arranged version of the CLose To You album, with All Of My Life on there too!
    Here's the back cover, which shows the tracklisting.

[​IMG]

12. Billy Rees

UK
    My first picture sleeve I bought was For All We Know at a record fair many, many years ago...

[​IMG]

But my prize possession has to be the Spanish version of Sing that was recorded for release in Mexico...

[​IMG]

Of course, getting the Karen Carpenter/Magic Lamp single would be pretty damn awesome too! Lol

Nick likes this.
  13. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

I’d venture to guess that picture was taken the very same day as the back cover of ‘Offering’. Karen changed her clothes, but Richard is wearing the same shirt and their hair is pretty identical to that photo.

14. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Active Member

UT
    They are wearing the same outfits on the original For All We Know sheet music as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  15. newvillefan

Thanks for posting the back cover with tracklist :). So they added All Of My Life and removed Baby It’s You. Strange.

16. My question about THAT issue of essentially the CLOSE TO YOU album, is what did they do with the segues that were on CLOSE TO YOU? For instance, is "I Kept On Loving You" the same as the clean-open single, or is there "residue" from its original segue with "Mr. Guder"?

How is the end of "Love Is Surrender" and the beginning of "Maybe It's You" handled being on separate sides?

newvillefan likes this.

17. just looking through some older threads and came across this, although it`s not that old :)

I like that cover myself and I`m also trying to get all or as many 7 inch picture covers as poss.
    I bought this a few weeks back from spain and although it`s not very sharp, because the cover is textured, I like this one;

[​IMG]

18. tomswift2002

Which songs are on that single? The best that I can get for the Del Amor is “of love you only get” and “a love song”

19. John Tkacik

John Tkacik Active Member

Based on your translation, it sounds like "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song"

20. newvillefan

Correct :)

21. tomswift2002

They used a photo from 7 years earlier for AYGFLIALS? I was thinking it was from the CTY-Tan era (and I thought the title was two titles).

22. newvillefan

It’s because of the more complicated way that Spanish grammar works and where the verb is placed in the sentence. German is similar.

Anyway, the catalogue number on the top right of that sleeve is AMS5462 and a quick look online also confirms it is the single “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song”.

Carpenters - All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  23. newvillefan

Interestingly, Mexico went with a totally different translation for this single. “El Amor Es Una Cancion”, which translates as the more pronounceable “Love Is A Song”.

Carpenters - El Amor Es Una Cancion = All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

24. tomswift2002

Of course the Mexican version of “I Have You”, (Te Tengo) really sounds like a very upbeat tango song.

25. Actorman

Actorman Active Member

The write up on the back is very interesting. First, there is the creative spelling of fantastic ("phantastic??" LOL!!). Second, it actually refers to the group as a QUINTET with Dan, Doug and Bob being counted as official members of the actual group (as opposed to just backing musicians). That's the first time I have ever seen that.