1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Magic Lamp, RCA and Spectrum recordings I

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Simon KC1950, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Simon KC1950

Simon KC1950 Member Thread Starter

I was just reading the notes by Richard for the 'From The Top' set. In it he talks about the songs included.

Magic Lamp
    -He mentions that "The Parting Of Our Ways" was one 'of the first things' they recorded there.

RCA Records
    -'11 sides were cut in minimal times

Spectrum
    -Ed Sulzer got them a deal to work in a studio where they cut and overdubbed 9 songs
    -Later, not being able to afford anymore studio time were cutting demo tapes in the Carpenters home.

all of this tells us that they recorded:

-an unknown ? Amount of songs for Magic Lamp

-11 sides for RCA

-9 Tracks with spectrum + Demo tapes.

-any songs recorded by RC, KC at home using their Sony recorders.

overall from those 3 ventures we have 7 songs, which means there are other songs we don't have.

does anybody know their names / heard them?

will they ever be released?

2. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Based on the video of Richard playing the snippet of 'All Of My Life' on the Carpenters 'Forever' video, there have to be dozens and dozens of unreleased home recordings. Richard just pulls out one tape, and there are many tracks on just the one tape he demonstrates on the old Sony reel to reel. There are so many tapes in the background of that scene, as well. Only Richard knows for sure. My guess is most of it would be from the Spectrum period, though he has acetates of recordings from before that time, as well.

newvillefan and Simon KC1950 like this.
  3. Simon KC1950

Simon KC1950 Member Thread Starter

I remember that video! When I saw it all I thought was that I wanted to get in that room!!!

He has to release it, he must be sitting on dozens maybe even hundreds of unreleased songs both from the pre-Carpenters days and their career. When he eventually does pass what's going to happen to it all? Will it just sit there collecting dust.

That's another thought who will take charge of the Carpenters and all their releases? One of his Children maybe.

A&M Retro and newvillefan like this.
  4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

Are you referring to just the tracks on "From The Top"? You should check out "As Time Goes By" as it contains "Nowhere Man" and "California Dreaming". "California Dreaming" is the one song from the Magic Lamp days that Richard has had the master to for all these years. "Nowhere Man" was from the Carpenters original demo tape.

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  5. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

I have several hours of video on this - Richard, Joe Osborn and the late Ron Gorow (Richard's copyist) at Capitol Records working on the As Time Goes By album.

Here is a clip of California Dreamin', as you can hear the original tracks all in tact during the playback as opposed to the polished re-cuts we hear on As Time Goes By. Will give a little insight as to what it sounded like initially.

*PRIVATE MESSAGE ME DIRECTLY FOR LINK​

6. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

^^^ Chris- THANK YOU for this. Their genius is evident!

7. JayJayVA

JayJayVA Member

Seems like I'd like the original better :)

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  8. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Fascinating...
    That version of "California Dreamin'" blew me over! Much more than the version out there (don't get me wrong, I listened to it today and found I had more appreciation for it than I realized! Something new is always exciting).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    newvillefan and Simon KC1950 like this.
  9. masqueraded

masqueraded Member

Seriously, why did they have to replace Karen's drum track though on this? I would've just been happy with the original demo versions. I mean Richard didn't tamper with anything on the FTT set (aside from the Goodnight mistake). Oh well. It's a shame that we won't be getting anything new. Thanks so much Chris.

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  10. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

What struck me was not just Karen's drumming but Richard's organ playing on the original demo- throughout the whole song. I liked the part where you heard it after the line "And I began to pray".

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  11. masqueraded

masqueraded Member

I think a double disc set of pre Offering material would be so interesting. Richard doesn't have to clean up a lot of stuff (unless the recording calls for it). But us as diehards know that demos are just that-demos. They don't need to be perfect. The set could consist of everything in Simon's list above, plus the Dancing In The Streets performances, any home recordings (of either RCT-wasn't Caravan an at home recording and not RCA?-or something with Karen's vocal), etc. I know there was talk of an acetate/45 of Karen with her pre-big voice that Richard (understandably so) won't ever release. Oh well, one can dream I guess.

12. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Chris I've thought so much in the last few days about some of that footage that was once aired, having read the recent threads about the Spectrum days and early Carpenters. The footage was amazing!

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  13. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Ron: "Karen and Joe sound good together"
    Joe: "Well we always did!"

Pure heaven to watch this, thank you Chris.

14. Chris May

Chris May Resident 'Carpenterologist' Moderator

Ron was the one responsible for writing out all of Richard's orchestrations for the Carpenter records on thru PACC. Died suddenly back in around '08 I believe. A genius and another unsung hero of the Carpenters camp.

15. Nick

Nick New Member

How do I private message you?

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  16. A "private message" is the same as a "conversation". Click on Chris May's name under his avatar, and you'll see a link for "Start a conversation."

Nick likes this.