🎄 Holidays! Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert (2013)

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
We saw the latest edition of the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert in Billings, MT last weekend. It was our third time seeing the show over the past 10 years...we've seen it with different friends each time.

Things were a little different this time around compared to the last time -- they've done away with the cute little Christmas village with the train around it, for one thing. Not exactly part of the concert, but it was a nice little touch that I missed. Maybe they're still using it in other places and just didn't do it here due to space?

The concert itself was great, outside of the fact that they tend to offer nearly-exact reproductions of the records. This tends to make things a little sterile. Combined with the fact that the band members aren't exactly dynamic onstage performers, and there are elaborate video displays and other effects (fog, snow, occasional lasers along with the usual vari-lights) attached to each song, it makes for a great listening experience but you feel like you're looking at a live-action Christmas card rather than a music concert. I always enjoy between-song comments at concerts, but in Steamroller shows, there is none of that, outside of some introductory remarks. But all that aside, as I said, the music was fantastic -- if you are into the Mannheim Steamroller style of Christmas music, that is. And the sound is impeccable. One of the best sounding concerts I've ever heard.

They hit various parts of their catalog, leaning quite a bit (as usual) on their first Christmas album from 1984. The only song they played that I really don't like is "Carol of the Bells." They completely missed the mark on that song -- I've always felt that way. First, with its keyboards and electronic drums, it sounds like a relic of the synth-heavy '80s, even though it originally came out in 2001. Second, the visuals make it look more like a Rocky Horror Picture Show reject than a Christmas song. All red-and-black with dancers and such on the video screens. It's amazing that Chip Davis misinterpreted this song so horribly -- at least to my ears and eyes, anyway. Thankfully, the low points of Mannheim Christmas are few; all the rest of the songs were terrific.

Speaking of Chip Davis, the composer, arranger, creator and etc. behind Steamroller doesn't really tour anymore, but we did get to see Ron Cooley (guitarist) who is one of the original band members. Everybody else on the stage was new to me. There was an 8-piece string section, and eight or nine band members onstage. Everybody was excellent, as always. There were some bits of music (choirs and such) that obviously were pre-recorded; since the arrangements are performed exactly as on record, it's pretty much impossible sometimes to tell where the recordings end and the live musicians begin.

The only other "beef" I have is that this particular Christmas concert gives no acknowledgement at all to the "reason for the season." If there is a spiritual song, such as "O Holy Night," they'll show images of candles and such. But no Nativity scene or anything like that. For Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas is all about the candy, eggnog, toys, joy, and warm fuzzy feelings, as opposed to the "birth of our Savior" story. I don't know if this is a marketing thing or if Chip Davis is not a spiritual person. But, it's not a deal breaker; I still enjoy the music even if it sticks more to the Santa Claus side of Christmas.

Bottom line, if you like Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music, you can't go wrong with their concert. It gives a new dimension (visually) to their albums and will definitely put you in a festive mood.

Thanks for the review Mike. Over the years we've enjoyed the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums, particularly the first two or three. I remember driving to work one December day, I guess in 1988 or so when "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" came on our station. I had to pull over, it was so moving, energetic, and exciting. Immediately upon arriving at work I ran to the program director to ask what that song was, and I was informed that it was Mannheim Steamroller. That lunch hour, I went to Sam Goody's record store and bought the two albums that were out at that point. Many of those songs still play on my annual Christmas compilation car CD.

I've never gotten to see them in concert, but I've heard that the shows exactly mimic the records - and that's OK by me. I buy records that I like, and if I can hear it performed exactly like that live, so much the better. I guess that's why I always liked Carpenters. Richard always made sure to keep the sound of the records in the live concerts.

We often get the Trans-Siberian Orchestra performing around Florida in December. Our neighborhood even organizes efforts to go see them, but we haven't done that yet either. But we will be, of course, going to the annual Candlelight Processional over at Epcot, probably several times. I know you enjoyed that last year.

Harry

A few weeks ago, we finally got to see Mannheim Steamroller's concert at the beautiful Lakeland Center, a terrific venue about 30 miles away towards Tampa. At the time, I was deep in the early part of a nasty bronchial virus that's been affecting quite a few people down here, but we'd already bought the tickets, so I steeled myself to make it though the evening. This was an organized neighborhood trip where about twenty of us carpooled there, had a buffet dinner at the Center, and then strolled across the hall to the concert.

The show was exactly as described above, with every song sounding exactly like the recorded versions, with backing tracks for the larger orchestral parts and sound effects. An ad on the back of the program listed a newish album called 30/40 which had many of the songs that they performed that evening. I mentioned to Marie that I own no Mannheim Steamroller vinyl so I'm pretty sure she bought that for me for Christmas.

I've been through an on-again, off-again relationship with Mannheim Steamroller over the years. My story just above this post details my discovery, but sometime I guess around 2000, the sound of these early CDs didn't sit as well with me. They had an '80s sound which had become dated, a term I dislike because one should be able to appreciate anything from any set of years with the proper mental frame of mind. Yet the Steamroller recordings fell into a bit of disfavor and barely made my yearly compilations of Christmas music.

Somehow though, it all sounds fresh again to me after that break, and the goosebump-inducing "Veni, Veni (O Come O Come Emmanuel)" grabs me as never before. So if you get a chance to see the live show in concert, by all means do so. It was fun even with an annoying, suppressed, hacking cough.

I always enjoy Mannheim steamroller's music ( not just the christmas music but also the Fresh aire series which i first got into in the late 80s) their cds did get remastered quite awhile ago so if you buy the remastered versions instead of the original vintage CDs from the 80s you should sound better. Just my opinion. I played drums for several years and the Steamroller music helped me in my drumming i was able to pick up on the various rhythms it was my crash course so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom