Meeting Bob Findley

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Last Saturday I went down to Skive, Denmark to hear the James Last Orchestra on the second last concert of their autumn tour of the European continent. I had made an appointment with the management to see Mr Last backstage before the concert. While that was a very pleasant meeting it also gave me the chance to talk to some of the musicians in the band. As mentioned earlier James Last has employed both the Findley brothers in his band for this tour. James Last has his four trumpet players divided creating a sort of "stereo experience" with two trumpets on each flank of the band. Chuck is the lead player on the far left side while his older brother was on the right side of the stage. I approached Bob and told him I was a big TJB fan and remembered him playing with the group in the 70's. He seemed genuiniely pleased and quite surprised because "..that was many years ago" as he said. The brothers were a very positive addition to the James Last orchestra who gave a very inspired perfomance for the crowd of about 5000 at the sold out concert.
Rumours has it that James Last is supposed to tour in the US next fall. If that happens I can reccomend the show, it's a big party!

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -

Martin

Brother Chuck also did some time at A&M--his was the solo on the Carpenters' big breakthrough hit "(They Long To Be) Close To You". (And he affected a very Alpert-like tone, I think...)

-= N =-

Not too long ago, I remember seeing a James Last program on one of the Public Broadcasting channels. At that time , Derek Watkins was the featured trumpet soloist. He did both a trumpet and a flugelhorn solo and was quite impressive, IMO.
Interesting arrangements and sound.

Yes, Derek Watkins has been the lead trumpeter with James Last for many years. It is being said that he was unable to make the 2002 tours because of a long term Theatre engagement in London, so Chuck Findley has taken his place in the band and big brother Bob replaced another American trumpet player that has been with the orchestra since the early seventies: Bob Lanese. You cannot tell that they are brothers by looking at them though. Bob seems quite a bit older, he is quite thin with a greying hair and beard while his little brother is a big man with long black hair and beard.

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom