meeting K&R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Hi gang,

Well, I was just thinking that it's been just over 25 years ago that I met Karen and Richard Carpenter backstage at Harrah's Lake Tahoe. Several weeks prior to the concert on Feb.17,1978 my Grandmother said she would fly me anywhere in the country that K&R were playing...I immediately contacted the Downey F/C and in return mail received a letter allowing me a backstage pass. I was elated! When I finally met them after the show they were very nice and patient w/this enthusiastic fan, as I proceeded to tell them that I had 3 copies of ea. album,Karen said "wow! you are a devoted fan, aren't you?" I was breathless in her prescence and very much overwhelmed. At first Richard appeared, and then Karen came out of her dressing room and at first sight, I was instantly taken aback at her beauty. She was much shorter than I had envisioned...I felt sort of funny looking 'down' at her. So pretty and not a trace of detectable Anorexia...She really looked radiant. I had the 'best seat in the house', the foot of the stairs leading to the stage center, where at one point K&R were doing their audience participation spot featuring the song "SING" and I was thrilled and mortified at the same time when Karen walked down the four steps to my table and said "Do you wanna sing?" Well of course I did and nearly passed-out. You have to remember I was only 15. From what I understand this was the last 'tour' that they did and I've since felt very blessed and grateful to have seen CarpenterS perform live 3 times. I received two autographs that night in Tahoe and to this day they are carefully preserved amongst my memorabilia.

Now, what I'm wondering is: Are there anymore Karen & Richard meetings people would like to discuss or comment on. Surely, I'm not the only fan fortunate enough to have met their idol...Let's hear from you. It gave me a rush of happy memories recounting my experience to you...

thanks for indulging me!

Jeff

Jeff, what an amazing story, I really liked reading that. I wish I had met them but I never did.

Wow you had a great seat & backstage pass, that's incredible. How did you get the backstage pass? Were there others waiting to meet them too? How much time did u get to spend with them backstage?

I never met Karen & Richard but I did get the opportunity to meet ONJ on a tour & we talked about Karen for just a moment or so. She told me that she still misses her greatly. In fact someone earlier in the evening gave her a print drawing framed of her & Karen & she asked me if I was the one who gave it to her since I brought Karen up, I told her it wasn't me but she lit up when Karen's name was mentioned.

It was a highlight for me since I knew they were best friends.

...looking forward to reading other's fans meeting w/ K & R, online....

That's a great story. I also had the priviledge of meeting the Carpenters backstage after a 1971 concert. "We've Only Just Begun" was the hit single at the time. I was with my church youth group, whose leader was with the local newspaper. He used his press credentials to get us in. K&R were very tired but were amazingly patient with us kids. Somewhere at my Mom's house is a framed black and white photo of me with Karen. I've got to do some digging to find it, however.
JB
PS: I THINK they signed a concert ticket for me, but I've got no idea where it is. Inside the picture frame???

When we met Karen and Richard, it was just my grandmother and I outside the door of Karen's dressing room. When the door opened and Karen appeared, I noticed about six people inside her dressing room all busily attending to our songbird. After meeting Karen, Grandma left and went back upstairs WITH my camera in her purse...so one of the autographs that I have is an 8x10 b&w glossy in place of the picture. I would say I was w/K&R for approx. ten minutes and then upon 'good-bye' I floated to the main floor and over to my hotel room. I've been fortunate enough in life to know a great deal of happiness...however, this event was by far the most exciting evening of my life to date.

With fond memories...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom