🎄 Holidays! Merry Christmas Darling Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much Chris, that was absolutely beautiful - very nice to hear pure Karen without the choir. What a treat, i wasn't sure at first if she was miming or not - but it was live - she was just so utterly perfect and impeccable............

The vocal is different from the original recording of 1970 and the additional studio recording Karen did for the Carpenters US Christmas special, but it does look like she's lip syncing, maybe the vocal track was recorded beforehand for the Bruce Forsythe show, it did sound great without the backing vocals, almost a capella sounding.

Love it, you can see how much feeling she puts into it, so effortless, genuine and vocally perfect.
If only Karen could have personalized the ending for me!! :love: I like what she does with the mic at the very end and laughs.

The vocal is different from the original recording of 1970 and the additional studio recording Karen did for the Carpenters US Christmas special, but it does look like she's lip syncing, maybe the vocal track was recorded beforehand for the Bruce Forsythe show, it did sound great without the backing vocals, almost a capella sounding.

This definitely isn't mimed. You can tell that by her phrasing in the opening line, where she's ever so slightly out of step with the piano. The reverb that's used on her microphone in the opening bars, along with the way she personalises it for Bruce at the end of 'Merry Christmas Darling', also tells me it's a live vocal. Later, Bruce sings his vocal live on the Winter Wonderland medley and the giggles and adlibs make it clear they're not miming.

I really like this version....it is too bad she sings to Bruce at the end. It could be a new version to listen to.
jonathan

WOW!!

THAT is how to sing a song ......... I LOVE the way Karen looks to the heavens as she sings 'crazy' world at the beginning.
I forget actually how high that song goes, she effortly skips up the scale, while sitting down, not easy , she stands up to belt it towards the end.
Right at the end when she sings 'to think thats what ill find ', she holds the note for an extra beat on 'ill', it makes it so incredibly poignant, just holding that note for a beat or two longer than the studio recording, she had the most sublime phrasing.

Does anyone know if she sang any other songs on this Bruce Forsythe special??

Thank you very much for posting it, it was lovely to watch and listen to.

Bob

Don't forget there is a 3rd song, Please Mr. Postman, ironically that song came out on that rare bootleg DVD from Singapore called "A Video Biography Carpenters" It was a rare gem to discover even though it has subtitles, you get to see how Karen really looked in somewhat very good DVD quality, obviously she looks pretty bad but they get some close ups of her face and you can see how beautiful she was.

There is an auction on ebay for this video biography from Singapore but it doesn't look like the one I have, it appears they have split the DVD up into 2 different DVD's, mine is 1 DVD containing 21 tracks. There is quite a bit of discussion about this DVD if you search this forum.

Someone also uploaded to youtube the version from the DVD of Postman.

Chris, thank you for sharing this clip with us... I wish that Richard would commission someone, if not himself, to compile these rare performance clips for DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom