🎄 Holidays! Merry Christmas Darling - The Bruce Forsyth Show, 1978 - Live [HQ]

Which recording of "Merry Christmas Darling" do you prefer?

Votes: 9 45.0%

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!!! It's crazy how you can miss out with poor quality. Karen's performance here was so nuanced that once it was enhanced or rather returned to it's broadcast form really brought it to life, imo. This year I've really taken a much stronger liking to MCD so this couldn't have appeared at a better time for me anyway. So nice to hear this version. "Brucey" was lucky to have his name included, and I just re-lived that one-on-one connection you only get from KC. Uh, she was really special. :oops:

This is truly amazing...never thought I'd see this so clear...what an amazing live performance...take note at 2:28 Karen takes her breath and hold it until 2:39 that is over 10 seconds (which I'm sure was very easy for Karen) but look and listen to all the intricate things she does in those 10 seconds, such control and she knew how to embrace the lyrics and convey it to the listener. I'm still amazed at her talent.

I also love how she looks into the camera on the last phrase, I wish I were with you...wow so special (she's looking at all of us).

Thanks Chris :santawave:

That was delightful! Seeing and hearing it in crystal clear quality is such a gift. Physically she was at one of her worst lows but you almost don't even see that bad side because you're so focused on her beautiful, warm expressions and voice. I think this version easily surpasses the 1978 studio recording, but the 1970 cut will always be my top favorite.

As a special gift to members of the forum, one of the most recognizable Christmas songs during the holiday season! Not to mention one incredible performance by Karen on Bruce Forsyth's Big Night, part 4, taped December 14, 1978. *Disclaimer: I carry license for the footage, as it is for playback only and not download. Enjoy!

Chris,
May we discuss something outside of this site regarding this beautiful video?
Thank you.

I firmly believe Karen as a vocalist was at her prime, and the very top of her game in 1978. Some of the greatest vocal readings ever to hit tape during this period. I think it really started in '75 with Horizon, but a master of her craft
I think this version easily surpasses the 1978 studio recording, but the 1970 cut will always be my top favorite.

Such a great vocal performance I do concur! Incidentally the rhythm section is all 'live', played to click, and the orchestration is a media submix taken straight off of the original tape. That's why the sweetening is so spot on and the rhythm sounds a little more playful. A little trivia... :wink:

What an amazing gift, Chris. I wish I had something to give in return, but all I can share is my praise to you for enhancing the lives of others through your generosity and talents.

Incidentally the rhythm section is all 'live', played to click, and the orchestration is a media submix taken straight off of the original tape. That's why the sweetening is so spot on and the rhythm sounds a little more playful. A little trivia... :wink:

That's fascinating Chris! I wondered how they got the orchestration on there as you can tell the musicians are live but I couldn't imagine there being an orchestra playing off camera somewhere too. They went to a lot of trouble then just for this one song, I guess to make it extra special. With Richard not being able to make it, she and the band could have just mimed to the recorded version to make it easier for everyone. I remember reading that their friend Peter Knight stepped in to help take care of the sound production for the show when Richard cancelled his trip. Karen must have been grateful for his support without Richard there to supervise everything.

I wonder what Richard thought of the performance when he first saw it? It must have been some time after the original UK broadcast.

Last edited:
Incidentally the rhythm section is all 'live', played to click, and the orchestration is a media submix taken straight off of the original tape. That's why the sweetening is so spot on and the rhythm sounds a little more playful. A little trivia... :wink:

Chris, what does that exactly mean? So the backing track (sorta like a karaoke) of this song from the original master tape was playing while the band was playing live on top of Karen's live vocal? It sounds like Bob's sax was live. I wonder if all the songs from that special were done in the same manner. I wonder if this is why it sounds more intimate by Karen overall.

Chris, what does that exactly mean? So the backing track (sorta like a karaoke) of this song from the original master tape was playing while the band was playing live on top of Karen's live vocal? It sounds like Bob's sax was live. I wonder if all the songs from that special were done in the same manner. I wonder if this is why it sounds more intimate by Karen overall.

When Chris explained it, I got it as I used to work with click tracks in my days singing in bands. The best way to describe it is like listening to those SACD clips on youtube, where almost all of the individual tracks from the master are muted leaving just one or two things audible. In this case, the only thing pre-recorded was the strings, which the band played along to live, with the help of a click track to keep them in time :)

When Chris explained it, I got it as I used to work with click tracks in my days singing in bands. The best way to describe it is like listening to those SACD clips on youtube, where almost all of the individual tracks from the master are muted leaving just one or two things audible. In this case, the only thing pre-recorded was the strings, which the band played along to live, with the help of a click track to keep them in time :)

Nailed it! That's exactly right :)

So was the click track something only they could hear? Did the Carpenters ever use this technique in other live performances?

The click most likely was only heard by the band, as Karen clearly rushed in a spot or two up near the top, which is usually an indicator that she did not have the meter in her ear. However the band certainly would have had to in order to keep in sync with the orch.

It's so amazing to see and hear this in high quality after listening to the terrible quality of the bootleg circulating for many years. Wow. Karen was the best. She remains the best. This performance is "it.". It showcases everything about her immense talent. In these little gems we realize what a loss we have endured. THANKS for this. You made my day.

I just wish it ended with Darling and not Brucie.

She also changed the line to "Happy Christmas" from "Merry Christmas" which always bothers me slightly. But it doesn't detract from how awesome this clip is. Shame then, that some people I have shown it to don't take a moment to just listen to the beautiful vocal and marvel at her talent, they go "wow she looks bad there".

This is a great performance. You can tell from the expressions on her face that she really, really loved singing this song that her brother composed. Didn't he write the music in less than a day or something like that? They're both so incredibly talented.

Thanks for the video Chris!

(Edit: Must not forget Frank Pooler's terrific lyrics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom