MeTV's Summer Songs of the '60s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You" is listed on the MeTV page celebrating the 10 top summer songs of the '60s:

These were the songs of summer in each year of the 1960s »

28E0C-1462821571-3892-list_items-summer60s_alpert.jpg

Harry

...And I remember every one of those songs. I'm a little surprised that A Taste of Honey didn't make the list. You heard it everywhere.

As Herb's "This Guy's In Love With You" came on in my car today, I was transported back in time to that summer of 1968 and some memories were stirred.

We used to spend our summer weekends at a cabin on the Susquehanna River in PA near the Maryland border. The river was about two miles wide at our location, and we had a little motorboat the we'd take out on the river just for the fun of tooling around, or using it for water-skiing. After THE BEAT OF THE BRASS special aired on TV that spring and I had gotten my copy of the album, Herb's vocal started zooming up the charts.

I can recall placing that song on a small reel-to-reel tape recorder I had that ran on batteries, getting in the motorboat and heading out to the middle of the river, and just sitting there playing "This Guy's In Love With You" over and over again. The summer cabin had little in the way of musical entertainment - just a crappy table radio that pulled in a station from York, PA that played top-40 stuff. So this little tape machine was an early way I could bring MY music with me. It looked a little something like this:

Recording3InchRtoR.jpg

Actually, it looked more like the small machines that Mr. Phelps got his missions on every week in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and I played that song so many times, I think it DID self-destruct.

Fun times...

I had a small reel recorder as a kid, but it didn't last very long. The plastic of the case was very brittle, so it got to the point where the screws wouldn't do anything but crack the mounting posts. From what I remember, it was fun, although I didn't have a way to record music on it. It only came with a small crystal microphone. I got a GE cassette recorder around 1972, which had both a Mic and an Aux input. We purchased a cable for the Aux input, which could plug into the earphone jack on the TV--that is how I recorded Herb's Coney Island special.

I had a small reel recorder as a kid, but it didn't last very long. The plastic of the case was very brittle, so it got to the point where the screws wouldn't do anything but crack the mounting posts. From what I remember, it was fun, although I didn't have a way to record music on it. It only came with a small crystal microphone. I got a GE cassette recorder around 1972, which had both a Mic and an Aux input. We purchased a cable for the Aux input, which could plug into the earphone jack on the TV--that is how I recorded Herb's Coney Island special.
Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You" is listed on the MeTV page celebrating the 10 top summer songs of the '60s:

These were the songs of summer in each year of the 1960s »

28E0C-1462821571-3892-list_items-summer60s_alpert.jpg

Harry
Nice trip down memory lane...I couldn't help but notice some similarities between Tossin' and Turnin' and Tell It To The Birds.

Dan

Back then, home taping was killing the record industry.

These days, records are killing the MP3 industry. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom