Mr. Alperts Rise album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the front of Mr. Alperts Rise album have him standing against a wall with records painted on it and he is wearing glasses?
Yes, against a wall with records painted on it and wearing glasses. Although some foreign affiliates issued some variations.

The validity question seems to me to be whether or not the record or CD was authorized/licensed by whoever the owner was/is. Back then, A&M did license foreign releases. Unfortunately in some territories, the copyright ran out and money grubbers released their own copies from questionable or unknown sources. As has been stated here many times, Herb owns worldwide rights to all of his recordings. Caveat emptor or let the buyer beware, so not as to enrich unscrupulous sellers.

The validity question seems to me to be whether or not the record or CD was authorized/licensed by whoever the owner was/is. Back then, A&M did license foreign releases. Unfortunately in some territories, the copyright ran out and money grubbers released their own copies from questionable or unknown sources. As has been stated here many times, Herb owns worldwide rights to all of his recordings. Caveat emptor or let the buyer beware, so not as to enrich unscrupulous sellers.

Mr. Alpert is gonna re-release Rise right? CD or Vinyl?

RISE has been released in the US on CD twice before. The original pressing on A&M was made in the '80s. It was re-released in 2007 by Shout Factory with a slightly altered track listing and a couple of bonus tracks (dance mixes and alternate versions). And in just 60 more days, it should be out again - certainly on CD.

After the release date, you can try your local retailer, such as a book chain store that also carries CDs and Vinyl albums. Or, there is on-line, such as Amazon, Target, CD Universe, etc. I think it is too early to see these listed on-line, as the release date is Sept. 9th.

After the release date, you can try your local retailer, such as a book chain store that also carries CDs and Vinyl albums. Or, there is on-line, such as Amazon, Target, CD Universe, etc. I think it is too early to see these listed on-line, as the release date is Sept. 9th.

There are Rise albumns and CD's on Amazon now, how will a person be able to differentiate between the newly released and the other stuff?

Apparently the Shout! Factory CDs of Rise are now out of print. There's just "dealers" selling these from $30 on up. At least that's how it is on Amazon, CD Universe and Barnes & Noble (not counting the crappy MP3's).

There are Rise albums and CDs on Amazon now, how will a person be able to differentiate between the newly released and the other stuff?

Here are the numbers and details for the OFFICIAL HERB RE-MASTERED RE-ISSUES:

Herb Alpert - RISE - CD - HRB 075 - 814647020754 (UPC BARCODE)
Herb Alpert - RISE - LP - HRB 076 - 814647020761 (UPC BARCODE)

LABEL: HERB ALPERT PRESENTS; DISTRIBUTED BY (ADA) ALTERNATIVE DISTRIBUTION ALLIANCE;
COPYRIGHTS SHOULD BE 2016, ALTHOUGH WHIPPED CREAM & CHRISTMAS ALBUM ARE 2015.

You'll also easily be able to tell which is which by the packaging.

- The original A&M CD came in a standard plastic jewel box with a gray inner tray

- The Shout!Factory CD came in a digipak (paper sleeve) with the "Herb Alpert Signature Series" graphic along the left edge, and the generic-looking track listing on the back

- The new Herb Alpert Presents series is also a paper sleeve, but more closely resembling the original album cover -- no artwork along the edge.

You'll also easily be able to tell which is which by the packaging.

- The original A&M CD came in a standard plastic jewel box with a gray inner tray

- The Shout!Factory CD came in a digipak (paper sleeve) with the "Herb Alpert Signature Series" graphic along the left edge, and the generic-looking track listing on the back

- The new Herb Alpert Presents series is also a paper sleeve, but more closely resembling the original album cover -- no artwork along the edge.

I really do wish they would stop using the paper sleeves, I don't think it's good for the CD to pull them in and out of those things.

Does the front of Mr. Alperts Rise album have him standing against a wall with records painted on it and he is wearing glasses?
By the way, Bonnie, the wall is an exterior wall of the main soundstage on what was then the A&M lot at 1416 N. La Brea in Los Angeles (now Jim Henson Studios). Here's a picture for perspective: http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/aa8ce8ef3...lie-chaplin-studios-on-la-brea-ave-crf14x.jpg

That's the west wall. If I recall correctly, the wall Herb's standing in front of is the south wall. He's actually on the sidewalk of DeLongpre Avenue, the side street running along the south of the lot.

The exterior walls of the soundstage are now painted a flat tan.

Last edited:
Here's a shot looking east across the intersection of LaBrea and DeLongpre, from a higher vantage point, that gives a better view of the soundstage and what great work it was: http://prairieprince.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/murals_12_original.jpg

Looking at this shot, it's clear I mis-remembered what the DeLongpre side of the soundstage looked like. Herb couldn't have been on the sidewalk to get the wall we see behind him on the RISE cover. He must have been inside the gates on another side of the soundstage.

By the way, Jim Henson Productions isn't to blame for painting over the mural. An interview with Jerry Moss says after he and Herb sold A&M to Polygram, the new owners painted over the mural the week he and Herb left the lot. The upside: That means the mural lasted 15 years, which in L.A. is saying something.

So which came first, the flying records on the outside of the soundstage or the flying records on the A&M inner sleeve? http://66.media.tumblr.com/6fe778cfc944067ae996666544ccc9dc/tumblr_n6tjf2fj8D1sgqq41o1_1280.jpg

The two members of the Tubes, Prairie Prince and Mike Cotten, also painted this mural on the famous Cliff House restaurant in San Francisco back in the 1970s. It's also long gone, and if I recall correctly, didn't last as long as the A&M mural:

http://prairieprince.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/cliffhousepic.jpg

I'd forgotten just how run-down the Chaplin lot had gotten before Herb and Jerry bought it. Here's a shot from ...well, the newest cars in the shot are a couple of '63s, so that means it can't be before the fall of 1962, when they'd have gone on sale...when CBS was using it to shoot Perry Mason...the last use before A&M bought it. Herb and Jerry put a lot of love and money into bringing the property back to how it looked in Charlie Chaplin's day, with modern additions:

http://www.retroweb.com/backlots/kling_studios_perry_mason_productions_bison.jpg

Yep, had to be between September '62 and September '63 by the time given for PERRY MASON. That was the only year that the show ran from 8-9 Thursdays.

Here's a shot from ...well, the newest cars in the shot are a couple of '63s,

That is a '64 Buick, fourth from the left, immediately to the right of the driveway--likely a LeSabre (the rear quarter doesn't look like the Electra 225, and I don't see the "sport" venti-port from the Wildcat). So the earliest could have been October '63 when the '64 models went on sale.

That is a '64 Buick, fourth from the left, immediately to the right of the driveway--likely a LeSabre (the rear quarter doesn't look like the Electra 225, and I don't see the "sport" venti-port from the Wildcat). So the earliest could have been October '63 when the '64 models went on sale.

Well, maybe not October. A lot of car introduction dates back then were September. And L.A. dealers had them early, oftentimes. Irv White Buick was right down the street at 3rd and LaBrea. This could be very late August, which would make the sign (see Harry's post about Perry Mason timeslots) still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom