Musical Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

I am listening to my Timeless BMB CD this morning and it made me think
of what talent it takes to arrange and record a song. Not being a musician
I find that I hear all of the instruments at the same time when listening to a recording, unless one instrument has a solo. I have to make myself really listen to be able to pick out the Sax, or Trumpet etc. Now I'm sure that the
"The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" wasn't written for the marimba, but Julius
Wechter makes it seem that it was. It amazes me that so many musicians can go into a rehearsal hall or recording studio, each playing a different instrument and make them all blend together to come up with a sound that
is so beautiful :!:

Hi Shirley,

Your comment on this posting about "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" not being written for marimba but Julius making sound like it was brought another good one to mind. If you had told me back in 1979 that Herb was going to record "Rise" and explained what type of piece it was and that Herb was going to work in marimba
as a crucial element in it, I would have told you that you needed your head examined. But, as we all know, the marimba was in it, it was a crucial element and Julius played it. Only Julius and Herb could have pulled off that feat...especially with a disco type song (boy do I strongly dislike disco). I have a special 1 hour program about Herb during the release of "My Abstract Heart" albuma, that aired on VH-1 about 10 years ago in which Herb talks about the piece and about Julius. Herb said he and Julius were sitting in the
studio listening to the playback of Rise and he leaned over to Julius and said, "hey Julius, I think we have a hit record here. What do ya' think? Julius answered "I don't like this song at all!" At the time of it's release, I agreed with Julius. But, a short time later, I changed my mind...but only because Herb did a very nice job on the horn with that style of his and because Julius was playing marimba on it, I grew to like it.

Tom...agreeing with Julius but I still listen to Rise because it has that certain "something".

:D

Speaking of "Rise"...have you listened closely to the piano break just before the trumpet ending on the album version? There's a mistake in it...a definite discord of some kind...it really doesn't distract from the song, but it's there...Mike Lang evidently hit 2 notes at once with one finger. The sound engineer probably had a heart attack, but somehow, it really almost fits...the take evidently has the general "feel" that Herb wanted, so it made the album, clams and all...there aren't many cases in TJB recording history where somebody makes a goof, but this is one...and it really doesn't sound all THAT bad... :oops:

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom