New 2CD Sergio Hits Due From Jpn

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably a licensing issue. Some career retrospectives are able to pull off licensing deals and include an artist's recordings across the entire timeline. If not, then the label is at the mercy of what is in their vault, and whoever else might license them a track or two.

Harry said:
I know of only one compilation of Sergio's that lumps together both the A&M/Universal catalog with the '70's Elektra/Bell recordings, and that's the COFFEE & BOSSA: THE CHILLOUT SOUND OF SERGIO MENDES disc that came out in 2007 in the Phillipines.

I thought Coffee & Bossa were a series of cover recordings by some band called Coffee & Bossa after listening to the Carpenters CD... it seems there are some that are covers and some that are real compilations from the original artist then:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...popular&field-keywords=coffee+&+bossa&x=0&y=0

I got this set today, and it looks great -- the cover is cool, the booklet contains a nice long essay detailing Sergio's career, and the back of the booklet has a cool (although small) picture of the A&M lot featuring a Brasil '66 promotional billboard.

The song selection is top notch as detailed above. One slight oddity -- it's in chronological order, except the cool "Viramundo" (from Stillness) is place after the title track from Pais Tropical.

One thing I am sad to report is that the album cover and booklet contain about 34 typos -- because in the song listings on the cover and booklet, they refer to "Brazil '66" or "Brazil '77." :cussing: I can't believe this wasn't noticed somewhere along the line. One other glitch -- the song "Daylight" is credited to "Sergio Mendes, Brazil '66, Siedah Garrett, Gracinha Leporace." I assume they meant Brasil '86, since the song is from that album.

Oh well, that slight gripe aside, this is a really enjoyable set that will find its way into my machine often. Also, the sound quality is fine.

One thing I am sad to report is that the album cover and booklet contain about 34 typos -- because in the song listings on the cover and booklet, they refer to "Brazil '66" or "Brazil '77." :cussing: I can't believe this wasn't noticed somewhere along the line.

I'm forgiving of the "Brazil" spelling, because technically, the correct English spelling of the name of that country is with a "z", "Brazil." The spelling of the name of the country by its inhabitants is "Brasil", thus the way Sergio spelled the name of his aggregations is in his native tongue.

I'll never forget one evening on the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite back in the late '60s, old Uncle Walt was doing a story and stopped to comment on his new pronunciation of the word "junta." In earlier broadcasts, he pronounced the word as "hoón-ta", the way a Spanish-speaking person would. But on this evening, he announced that since this was an English-language broadcast, the correct English pronunciation of the word would be with the soft "j" sound, "jún-ta". Thereafter, Uncle Walt always used the English pronunciation.

I view "Brazil / Brasil" the same way, but can understand the subtle difference, since we're referring to a proper name. So I can see that both spellings could reasonably be considered correct.

And if you want to get really technical, the leader of the band spells his name "Sérgio Mendes", with the diacritical mark over the "e" in Sergio. :)

Harry

Oh, Mike. Forgot to ask. Did you get the Japanese SHM-CD of this set, or the regular edition? I've got the regular version on order.

Harry

I got the regular version.

I probably wouldn't have been so burned up about all the "Brazils" if they hadn't done it SO many times! At least it is spelled Brasil in the essay in the booklet.

I think it's more a case of the "official" spelling of the group names being Brasil vs. Brazil. On the other hand, at least they didn't spell his last name as Mendez!

Found another couple of goofs....the song "Viramundo" is simply credited to Sérgio Mendes, and "Pais Tropical" is credited to Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66!

I know this is the internet age, where nobody needs to worry about stupid things like spelling and other useless stuff like that, but I'm one of those ancient over-50 types who likes to have things like this be ... well mostly correct, anyway?!

Nowadays, they just have to write everything in that annoying "txt spk" so a lot of the teen- and 2o-somethings can comprehend it... :rolleyes:

Spelling and grammar fanatic that I am, I can't tolerate mistakes. One or two are fine. And I do understand in this global internet age, not everyone translates that well to my native English language. You would not believe, in the development field, how many developers are out here that can write some decent JavaScript or PHP code, and couldn't spell their way out of a kindergarten spelling bee...

It's also interesting, though not unexpected, that the Bell/Elektra era stuff is totally ignored.

I know of only one compilation of Sergio's that lumps together both the A&M/Universal catalog with the '70's Elektra/Bell recordings, and that's the COFFEE & BOSSA: THE CHILLOUT SOUND OF SERGIO MENDES disc that came out in 2007 in the Phillipines.

I thought that one had been withdrawn, but Amazon claims they've got one left with more "on the way."

Harry

You've probably forgotten about the 4CD Polygram set that came out many years ago in the hardcase "book" sized set. It included stuff from all the labels with the exception of Elektra: Philips, A&M/Uni and Bell. In fact that was the only place to get "official" versions of at least some of the Bell material for several years.

I've never heard of that 4-CD set--it sounds like it was a good one!

I do remember a 2-CD set of his A&M years though.

Jeffrey must be referring to the Grandes Nomes set. It's one I never got a copy of. By the time A&M Corner came around, it was out-of-print, I believe.

Paula had a copy and made me a dub of two of the four discs, I think - the two middle-years discs that covered the A&M and early Bell stuff, as I recall. It had a reputation of sounding rather good, from what I can remember, but then it was also out in the years when there wasn't a whole lot of Mendes stuff available on CD.

Harry

I have the set that JMK is talking about. It's very nice -- covers quite a bit of the older material. The title is Serie Grandes Nomes (hopefully my spelling is right) and the booklet in it is really good too, lots of photos and English + Portuguese text, and lyrics.

Harry - you're right that there was almost no Sergio Mendes on CD at that time -- in fact that was the main reason I dropped the $ on that set. I didn't have much interest in the early instrumental material, and in those early days it was near impossible to even find out what songs were on it. But, I figured since it was on A&M and it was FOUR disks it had to have a lot of the stuff I really wanted. And it did.....but it also left out a whole lot of favorites!

I just received my copy of the new Celebration - A Musical Journey 2-CD set from Amazon. To get the price up to the magic $25-no-shipping-charges level I also added another Sergio Mendes 2-disc compilation from a few years ago that I didn't have, Sergio Mendes: The Collection. The latter is from the UK back in 2008 and has Universal/Spectrum labeling.

Click images to order from Amazon.com

Wondering how the two comps would be different, I did a little analysis. They both have 38 tracks over two CDs, and share 17 tracks in common.

Found on both sets:
Mas Que Nada
Constant Rain
Night And Day
The Fool On The Hill
Scarborough Fair
(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
Pretty World
Wichita Lineman
Norwegian Wood
Masquerade
What The World Needs Now Is Love
Viramundo
After Sunrise
Promessa de Pescador
Never Gonna Let You Go
Kisses (Morrer de Amor)
Rio de Janeiro

Unique (between sets) to the older comp, The Collection:
Day Tripper
For Me
So Danco Samba (Brasil '66)
With A Little Help From My Friends
Roda
The Frog (Brasil '66)
Batucada (Brasil '66)
Casa Forte
Rainbow's End
Alibis
Corcovado
Ela E Carioca
Empty Faces
Chelsea Morning
For What It's Worth
Zanzibar
After Midnight
Asa Branca
Flower Of Bahia
Your Smile
Puzzle Of Hearts

Unique (between sets) to the new Celebration - A Musical Journey:
Outra Vez
Garota de Ipanema
So Danco Samba (Trio)
Going Out Of My Head
The Look Of Love
So Many Stars
Pais Tropical
My Summer Love
The Sound Of One Song
Daylight
Sarara
Cinnamon & Clove (Arara)
Holografico Olodum
Mas Que Nada (Black Eyed Peas)
The Frog (Will.i.am)
Waters Of March (Ledisi)
Y Vamos Ya (Juanez)
So Tinha de Ser Con Voce
Magalenha
...and the two new tracks,
Fool On The Hill (Melody Gardot) Vocal: Siedah Garrett
Chove Chuva (Ivete Sangalo)

Bottom line is both compilations are worthwhile for something or other in the track selection. The new one of course has two new tracks unavailable elsewhere, plus a number of tracks from the early jazz period and latter-day Mendes albums. The older one has more of the Brasil '66/'77 flavor and a fair number of the '80s tracks.

Celebration's liner notes are a notch above with more pictures and comes packaged in a single-width double jewel case. The Collection's packaging is a fat double CD jewel case.

There are no mastering credits that I can find on either compilation. The newer one, Celebration, sounds natural with nothing unexpected. The one from 2008, The Collection has what sounds like some extra oomph added to the bass, particularly on the older tracks.

Harry

One surprising thing about Celebration: No tracks from Brasiliero, which was a Grammy-winning album and probably his most highly-acclaimed non-A&M album. There must have been a massive disconnect between Sergio and whoever owns the Elektra material for this project.

I was really glad to see "Holografico Olodum" included. That's a terrific song and has gone "sadly un-noticed." I love the rhythms and the vocals on it. I don't understand why they included "The Sound of One Song." Should have been "Alibis" instead, or another Gracinha track, or perhaps...."Celebration of the Sunrise!"

Brasileiro falls under the same ownership as the '70's Bell/Elektra stuff and it's pretty rare to find any of that mixed with the Universal-owned material. That's why I mentioned that odd Coffee & Bossa compilation above, which contained some of both catalogs - just like, apparently, the Serie Grandes Nomes set. Someone muat have done their rights homework to get those approved.

Harry

There's a really neat picture on the back of the insert of the Celebration package. It's a black & white photo of a billboard near the A&M lot sign.scan0002.jpg

Harry

Thanks for the enlargement. That's a cool picture. I'm glad somebody, somewhere at Universal, is still respectful or nostalgic of the A&M origins of Sergio's most popular music.

Wow. I'm stunned. So much so that I now think that Mr. Sloat secretly traveled the entire world last night in Santa Claus fashion with the express purpose of changing the spelling on all of our Sergio Mendes Brasileiro discs, just to prove us wrong.

I would have bet real money that Sergio's Grammy-winning Elektra album was spelled "Brasiliero". I remember getting the spelling confused with Lani's A Brazileira and thinking that one had an "ie" and the other an "ei". But I'm obviously wrong. One has a "z" and one has an "s", and one ends in "a" while the other ends in "o". But both have the "ei" spelling construct.

Apparently I'm not the only one either. Do a forum search for the spelling of "Brasiliero" and you'll find more than a page full of posts that reference the album that way, by all sorts of posters, myself included. Well - lesson learned.

I guess my only excuse is that I never really warmed up to Brasileiro all that much. I probably need to listen to it a few more times. Maybe I'll do it as the last in our Bell/Elektra AOTW feature.

Harry

Harry - check out the song "Lua Soberana" (which I hope I spelled right!) Great Gracinha vocals on that one.

I guess my only excuse is that I never really warmed up to Brasileiro all that much. I probably need to listen to it a few more times. Maybe I'll do it as the last in our Bell/Elektra AOTW feature.

I haven't listened to the album... it's just that "brasileiro" means "Brazilian" so I did a Google search to be sure about the album. "Brasiliero" sounds a bit Italian, they say "brasiliano".

Harry - check out the song "Lua Soberana" (which I hope I spelled right!) Great Gracinha vocals on that one.

As I recall, the album opened with three or four heavy drum-laden tracks that I didn't care much for, then came "Lua Soberana" and the album was instantly better.

Harry

"Brasileiro/Brasiliero/Brazil-air-o" (sic - aka 'lighten up, everybody!') is actually an album that grows with repeated listenings for me. It's fun and ambitious and it has a huge amount of variety, and for that reason, it's one of the CDs I recommend to people who aren't familiar with Brazilian music - it's a great sampling of all the different sides of the music of Brazil......

Apparently I'm not the only one either. Do a forum search for the spelling of "Brasiliero" and you'll find more than a page full of posts that reference the album that way, by all sorts of posters, myself included. Well - lesson learned.

That's odd to as I never noticed it. I've always spelled it correctly, but overlooked it if it were misspelled by others! I could easily do this in the database to fix all of them:

Code:
UPDATE post SET post_text = replace (post_text, "brasiliero", "brasileiro");

...and then regenerate the search indexes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom