New A&M Label Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I picked up a 12" single of "When The Lights Go Down Low" by Herb Alpert (from the My Abstract Heart album), and noticed that the label is different from any others that I've seen. It's called A&M Night Play. The label is a dark green, with pictures of the sun setting (in case the scan doesn't clearly show this). Has anyone else seen this label before?

nightplaylogo.jpg

Capt. Bacardi
NW: Cubs vs. Pirates

No, I've not seen that one, but I have a Mexican pressing of a Maria Conchita Alonso album that has that same series of boxes all on a white background with multicolored sections within the boxes.

By the way, I was going to snipe that auction, but saw the ever-present "Jazzbill" as the bidder. :)

Harry
...ever-courteous, online...

Harry said:
By the way, I was going to snipe that auction, but saw the ever-present "Jazzbill" as the bidder. :)

Harry
...ever-courteous, online...

Always the gentleman! :cool: Actually, I never really cared for the song, but since this 12" was something I never saw before, I went for it. Good thing it was cheap. :D

Capt. Bacardi
...just back from "Attack of the Clones" online (review to follow)...

Captain Bacardi said:
Actually, I never really cared for the song, but since this 12" was something I never saw before, I went for it. Good thing it was cheap. :D

It sort of goes down as Herb's first recorded "trumpet orgasm" if you listen to it. :confused: I like the instrumental part (that's our man Jimmy Haslip on bass, BTW), but could do w/o the lyrics. Give me "Pillow" from Keep Your Eye On Me any day! :D

I'll have to put that label into the gallery.

-= N =-
...really steamed because I had to miss BR5-49 at The Ark this evening...really steamed...

BR549_12a.jpg

Rudy said:
It sort of goes down as Herb's first recorded "trumpet orgasm" if you listen to it. :confused: I like the instrumental part (that's our man Jimmy Haslip on bass, BTW),

Yup. I remember talking to Jimmy about this song when I saw them last year. You know, a Herb and YJ collaboration wouldn't be so bad... :angel:

Rudy said:
Give me "Pillow" from Keep Your Eye On Me any day! :D

I agree. I was always surprised that "Pillow" wasn't released as a single. I thought it would do well, especially with the popularity of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis at the time, plus coming off the success of "Diamonds" and "Making Love In The Rain". But maybe Herb wanted to change things up a bit with "Our Song" - which is one of my favorite ballads by Herb, but "Pillow" would've been a stronger single IMHO.

Rudy said:
I'll have to put that label into the gallery.

Let me know if you need it re-scanned.

Capt. Bacardi

I think "Pillow" was a lot stronger song than "Making Love In The Rain" (which, to me, has always seemed like a filler track).

The idea of the Jackets backing up Herb isn't too far fetched, actually...if you've ever heard Michael Franks' Abandoned Garden, they get a good, quiet Brazilian groove going on "This Must Be Paradise" and "Like Water, Like Wind". (Also features Chuck Loeb on guitar on these tracks, although John Pisano's a good fit as well...very similar styles in this mode of playing.)

I'll let you know on the label scan--only thing I might need is a larger scan of it. (I'm also not picking up the green tint of the label--my black scans of the standard label all came out color shifted as well.) If this style of label had been around longer, I think A&M could have done some interesting things with this "squares" motif. It would have made a sharp CD label design if applied correctly, but the trend is toward having individual labels for each new product.

-= N =-

Captain,

Yes and no on the label. No, I have not seen the A&M Night Play label but it is a variation of the old A&M Horizon jazz label of which I have one album. The Horizon label is black background, with silver and gold and perhaps another color or colors on it. The squares running horizontally are similar but with circles and partial circles across it. The one I have is with Herb and Hugh on the cover, atleast, I think that is the one.

Tom :oops:

That sounds more like the standard A&M label of the late 80's:

lp-black.jpg

Herb/Hugh was originally on the yellow/orange "sunset" Horizon label:

lp-horizon-sunset.jpg

Main Event Live, for whatever reason, was released in the standard A&M series.

-= N =-

I think by the time Main Event -- Live! came out Horizon was no longer a "jazz" label, but more a label for "uncategorizable" music like Dr John, Ben Sidran, Gordon Michaels and others. This change was reflected with a change in the label logo as well to the stylized blue rising sun logo as well as a change in the guy running the imprint (whose name I forget at the moment... Lipuma? Mottola? whatever!)...

--Mr B

First time I saw this particular label was Sergio's Brasil '86 Lp. I've seen other variations as well. Some are white with brown boxes, brown on grey and, of course, the white promo-labeled version.

Brasil_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom