new boxed set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Hi!
I'm new to posting but have read the posts for awhile now.
Whats all this news about a boxed set? Any details?
Mark

Hi Mark. Welcome.

There have been rumblings for the past half-year or so regarding a new Carpenters box set. The theory is that some of the stuff that was put on AS TIME GOES BY in Japan could help fill out a new box set, leaving out the material that became too complex for A&M US to release. Fans have been hoping it might include some other unreleased stuff as well.

For sure, Richard is putting out a new Christmas album this year.

Harry
...in a waiting mode, online...

Mark,

The latest news on the proposed Carpenters Box set was from the best source :

Richard C and David Alley (Manager) at CPAC Petula Clark January concert, confirmed work was ongoing on the Box Set .Richard mentioned that ideally the non-medley ATGB (2001) Tracks should be included ( up to 10 ) plus some extra rarities such as Adverts , Jingles , a few extra TV & Radio songs etc . :)

Richard did puzzle some Fans that the set may be a revised "From The Top" set with some deletions from 1991 Box Set and these extra additions (Universal proposal ?) , but David Alley seemed confident this would be a new Box Set...... :)

Ideally this set would be released Spring 2003 to mark Karen's 20th Anniversary with some great Music and to avoid Universal ignoring Richard's new Album due later in 2002 by releasing this set in the same period.

More news should seep out September / October as Universal and Trade Magazines confirm future new releases.

Peter ...anticipating Carpenters releases......

Thanks Harry and Peter!
This is certainly good news- and glad to be "caught up" with what is going on.
Personally, I would like to see "Old Fashioned Way" make the cut (w/ or w/o John Davidson, although I think he does an ok job), as I am a sucker for romantic lyrics, and the melody line lingers in my head even as I write this. (My transfer copy from video to audio tape is so worn out now!)
Does anyone know what else may be included? "Thank you for the Music" might be a nice ending to the set.
Of course, I'd like to see some kind of accompanying DVD with concert footage. (I saw the last concert in Las Vegas in '78. So glad I made the trip considering how it all played out.)
Anyway, enough of my rambling.
Thanks again!
Mark

PJ said:
Richard did puzzle some Fans that the set may be a revised "From The Top" set with some deletions from 1991 Box Set and these extra additions (Universal proposal ?) , but David Alley seemed confident this would be a new Box Set...... :)

My only guess for that reasoning (a modified From The Top, in other words) is that Universal would see the set as more saleable if it had some established "hits" on it. Not the most attractive idea, I know, but if it gets the rarer tracks released, we may have to live with it.

For our sake, I'd rather Universal stay as far away from it as they can, and just let Richard put it out like he wants to! Most of us have the hits already, in one form or another...last thing we need is another box set with 50% or more redundant tracks!

-= N =-

I would be surprised if the proposed Box Set were a revamped / modified "From The Top" set as this would have limited appeal to the potential largest group of buyers(Hardcore Collectors), UNLESS Universal plan to market the set WORLDWIDE with a large campaign (unlike Polygram's limited support) and achieve wider recongition & sales similar to recent Bob Marley , Police and Hendrix sets ??

I did jot down possible inclusions for another Box Set and future rarities sets , approx 80-100 tracks (some are medleys etc) and sent some recommendations c/o Richard C last spring.Reply of thanks indicated some would be considered for future release. :)

Amongst the tracks recommended :

Thank You For the Music , Why Don't They Understand ? , Play A Simple Melody , I Don't Need You , Dance In The Old Fashioned Way (KC/RC version) , Good Vibrations / Coming Thru The Rye (Palladium outtakes) , From the Heart , Ticket To Ride(1970 Radio version) , I Fell In Love (BBC 1971) , Morton's Potatos Adverts(2) :D

Richard should include the 10 major Singles left out from 1991 set , I Won't Last , Jambayla , It's Going to Take , A Kind OF Hush etc and also some alternate versions or Live USA recordings of Classics , Close To You , Goodbye To Love , For All We Know etc as unissued tracks for Fans plus non -medley tracks from ATGB(2001) such as "Leave Yesterday Behind " "And When He Smiles" ..... :)
Ideally 4 CD's , approx 80-85 tracks would be great with full liner notes , unissued A&M photos / Art work , full credits , Musicians recollections etc to really make this a definitive Box Set :)

Richard could also consider and this may be better for Fans (and easier for Universal to market !) a 2CD set with 40-44 tracks , again a mixture of Rarities with alternate versions of Singles etc.

There is plenty of good -great material still to be released , just hope against hope that Universal can support this release and make up for ATGB Album and lack of any Carpenters strategy since taking over Polygram in late 1998 :o

Mark :

Fascinating that you attended Carpenters last Vegas Concert , do you remember the details , the tracks played and some live rarities ?? Richard must have been ill to cancel the rest of the season and how was Karen in concert? :cry:

Peter....looking forward to proposed Box Set.......

I would like to see "Old Fashioned Way" make the cut (w/ or w/o John Davidson, although I think he does an ok job), as I am a sucker for romantic lyrics, and the melody line lingers in my head even as I write this. (My transfer copy from video to audio tape is so worn out now!)

Hello Mark

This is nothing to do about the release of the box set in 2003.
But i see you wrote that you liked the song "An Old Fashion Way" . If this is any help to you, i a couple of months ago brought a cd call "More Offerings" TLC 5032 A THIN LINE CROSSED PRODUCTION. The sound quality isn't very good but it's not bad. There are 16 tracks in total some of which are:

Thank You For The Music
I've Got Rhythm
IN THE OLD FASHION WAY
Can't Buy Me Love
Cinderella Rockafella

There are also 5 medleys

Hope that is of help

Simon

I wanted to introduce myself as I was a regular at the Road Ode
forum and look forward to posting here now.

I just saw the information below from the Pause and Play website which is a great website that lists all upcoming releases and is updated almost daily. Hopefully these 2 releases will come out as planned. The Millennium set is just a 1 CD budget release.

Scott B

"Best of Carpenters - 20th Century
Masters: The Millennium Collection"
(A&M/UME, Sept. 17)

"The Essential Collection (1965-1997)"
(4-CD box set)
(A&M/UME, Oct.:cool:

Thanks for the info, Scott, and it's nice to have you here at the A&M Corner. You'll feel right at home as we have a lot of Carpenters and Bacharach fans here.

There aren't too many fans of the MILLENNIUM SERIES, since most feel that they're a bit of a rip-off. I've found use for several of them, most recently the one for The Who. And I bought the Bacharach version when I saw 'Don't Make Me Over" in the listing. I didn't recall that being on an A&M album, and sure enough it wasn't, but Universal threw it on there anyway and slapped an A&M logo on it.

I'll naturally be interested in both of the Carpenters items you (and the pauseandplay.com website) mentioned. It'll be interesting to see which 10 or 12 Carpenters tunes get to be on the MILLENIUM disc, but more interesting what treasures might await us on the ESSENTIAL set.

(Sigh) -- two more items for the discography project...

Harry
NP: absolute silence -- quite a novelty

Thanks Harry for the warm welcome.

I agree with you about the millennium series and usually wait for Tower to have a $7.99 sale if I have to get a CD from that series(they are having one now just for the record). I'm sure it will just be close to the old singles 69- 73 tracklist with a few tracks from the mid-late 70's added in.

The new box set is another story as I'm excited about this one and hope that they get some rarities and also this time out take advantage of the 79 minute CD capacity- that was my only complaint about "From The Top" as I wanted more!

Scott B

Peter,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question, as I do not get on the internet every day.
If I remember correctly, the show I saw started with Hush, then either I Need to Be in Love followed by When I Fall in Love (or visa versa) and then Thank You For the Music. I think it was in this order because I vaguely remember Karen mentioning they had just recorded the last two songs for the new album.
Then the rest of the show was similar to the Palladium series- but there was a short insert of some Christmas songs. This ended with Merry Christmas Darling and a great touch: as Karen sang the last line or so, she held out her hand off to the side at shoulder level, and snow fell from the sky and gently landed on it. It was a magical little moment! I believe at that point they moved to Warsaw Concerto, then the Medley. It is a little fuzzy now after all these years.
Given it was '78, it was of interest to me that the only song represented from Passage was "Argentina".
Anyone else have any memories of this concert?
Hope that answers your question, Peter.
Mark

mstaft said:
Peter,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question, as I do not get on the internet every day.
If I remember correctly, the show I saw started with Hush, then either I Need to Be in Love followed by When I Fall in Love (or visa versa) and then Thank You For the Music. I think it was in this order because I vaguely remember Karen mentioning they had just recorded the last two songs for the new album.
Then the rest of the show was similar to the Palladium series- but there was a short insert of some Christmas songs. This ended with Merry Christmas Darling and a great touch: as Karen sang the last line or so, she held out her hand off to the side at shoulder level, and snow fell from the sky and gently landed on it. It was a magical little moment! I believe at that point they moved to Warsaw Concerto, then the Medley. It is a little fuzzy now after all these years.
Given it was '78, it was of interest to me that the only song represented from Passage was "Argentina".
Anyone else have any memories of this concert?
Hope that answers your question, Peter.
Mark

Mark ,
Thanks for reply and details. Wish I could have seen Carpenters at a Vegas / Tahoe concert in the '70's. Cherish the memories :D

Someday.....Richard will release some of these Vegas recordings and ideally a Live 2 CD of USA Live tracks / future Live Box Set for all the Fans and wider audience unaware of Carpenters long Live legacy...... :D

Re : the two new releases :

Suppose the Millennium Collection will consist of 11 / 12 tracks previously released , it would have been great as a selling / collecting point to have included several alternate outtakes ....perhaps we will be surprised ...... :o

Hearing about the planned October Box Set release makes me worried , are the dates indicative of releases 1965-1997 , thus missing out ATGB (2001) ?
Or does indicate material recorded during these periods , thus including Richard Solo material ( ideally plus Solo outtakes as well ) ...?

My gut reaction is that Universal are basically rehashing "From The Top" with a few changes and minor additions ....perhaps Universal have promised Richard there will be major promotion for Fall 2002 ongoing into 2003 .....can anyone actually take Universal at face value .....? :confused:

Just hope I am being over cautious re : Box Set

Peter....nervous and worried ....awaiting more track info.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom