1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

New Carpenters UK vinyl release? 03 November 2017

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by New Horizons., Sep 9, 2017.

1. New Horizons.

New Horizons. New Member Thread Starter

Hello Everyone.
    My first posting but just been browsing the usual retailers and on Amazon UK they have a 2 lp set due for release in November called Carpenters Collected with a 4 page booklet of photos and liner notes in a protective sleeve. Needless to say I just pre-ordered :)

Jamesj75 and Brian like this.
  2. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up, New Horizons. Btw, welcome.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  3. Jamesj75 and Brian like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for posting this, Jared. It looks as if a couple of the collections have something extra, other than the obvious songs. In Carpenters' case, I'm guessing it would have to be all previously- released stuff.

jaredjohnfisher likes this.
  5. djn

djn Well-Known Member

To even consider vinyl it would have to be quality.

6. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

Hmm, pity about the photo. Having said that, the photo used for the UK Treasures album didn't put me off buying it when I was a new Carpenters fan. I don't know why, but it reminds me of the children's TV shows Play School and I've Got A Handful Of Songs To Sing You.

7. no chance of getting this release!! 2000 copies and all in Europe.

8. K.C. Jr

K.C. Jr Well-Known Member

US
    I wish I could get this set, but it sounds like it's going to be a bit elusive for U.S. buyers. :sigh:

9. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    This is an odd title to release on vinyl, huh? Gatefold so it's going to open like the 85' LP of YOM?

10. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

White vinyl? Interesting.

No wonder their image was down the toilet when they were taking photos like this in 1981.

11. I thought the pictures for the MIA sessions were great, especially knowing how re-touched they had been.

Geographer likes this.
  12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Active Member

October 27 is the release date. But this looks like a reissue of the 2013 CD but on vinyl. (Although from the solo projects it only has "Still Crazy" and the stupid "Karen's Theme".

Carpenters Collected

13. Hmmm...I agree that alternate "solo" performances would make a better package (perhaps "If I Had You" and "Time"?); however, I like Karen's Theme as it shows Richard's talent for writing and arranging an effective emotional tune. In no way do I find it "stupid."

djn and Murray like this.
  14. John Tkacik

John Tkacik Active Member

Hopefully they will have a 2nd pressing of standard "black vinyl" as described for the Marvin Gaye Collection as well after the initial "white vinyl" is sold out.

jaredjohnfisher likes this.
  15. Brian

Brian Active Member

I have always liked the photo that is on the 'Collected' CDs, (and now vinyl). I also like the idea of white vinyl. The third positive is that I think 'Still Crazy After All These Years' is, potentially, one of the better tracks from the solo album. Good song, good arrangement, great background vocals. Karen's lead vocal has its good moments and its weak moments.

The fact that 'Still Crazy After All These Years' was going to be on Karen's solo LP was included in press releases in 1979, (or 1980 - can't remember when I heard it - 1979, I think), to stir up interest while she was recording the album, so it's a good track to include.

16. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    It's available for pre-order at Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpenters...qid=1505269664&sr=1-1&keywords=the+carpenters
    180 gram audiophile vinyl / Gatefold sleeve / HIGH QUALITY PVC PROTECTIVE SLEEVE / 4 PAGE BOOKLET WITH LINER NOTES AND PHOTOS

2 LP set so it does appear to be gatefold, I'm not so sure about it being white colored, that picture might be just brightened to appear white vinyl.

Cost is £29.84 which coverts to the US at about $39.70

Looks like my pre-order is in...how could I pass a Karen Carpenter solo track on vinyl? :love:

djn likes this.
  17. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    I never bought this collection on CD although I do have the original Netherlands collection. The shipping to the US was not as bad as I thought only £3.08 so my total in US is approx $37.18 and with it being a 2 LP set with a gatefold and inner booklet and 180 gram weight with overseas purchase I guess that's not too bad. Man...what I do for Carpenters, hurry up November!!

18. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    Amazon UK has a photo and no white vinyl.

[​IMG]

djn likes this.
  19. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

Will it be available by CD or digital download with new remixes?

20. Sue

Sue New Member

uk
    Thank you for the information New Horizons. As a fairly new collector, there is very little I HAVE got so I looked into pre ordering this vinyl release. I seem to have pre ordered the white vinyl release so here's hoping that's what they deliver!

21. Thanks for the Heads Up on this release just pre ordered the white vinyl from an independent record shop here in U.K, looking forward to it. Although I'm not that fussed about the coloured record gimmick, it just makes the set a little more collectible at the end of the day.

22. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

FL
    I'm kinda on the fence about the white vinyl...it would be cool to have as I don't think any Carpenters LP's were produced in colored vinyl other than the purple see through vinyl on either Lovelines or VOTH (can't remember off hand which of the 2)

I'd rather have the regular if it produces less noise. I guess it's possible Amazon gets some of the first batches but why would they show the non white version. In any case super excited to be getting a new Carpenters LP (how cool does that sound?) :phones: I'm on the Top of the World...

23. New Horizons.

New Horizons. New Member Thread Starter

Thanks Brian for the welcome.
    It does appear to be the Dutch 3 cd set in a shorter vinyl form.
    Amazing the information that appears after a week away so thanks everyone for links etc.
    I like the cover photo and a new gatefold and some Karen solo sold it to me on first viewing.
    Darren.

Brian likes this.
  24. This is an interesting choice to turn into a vinyl set. First off, the CD is a 3-disc set (really 2 and a half), but still, its length makes it so that it wouldn't fit on a 2 LP set. So someone, somewhere pruned it.

Missing from the LP set are:

Goofus
    All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
    I Believe You
    (Want You) Back In My Life Again
    Those Good Old Dreams
    BEechwood 4-5789
    Now
    Make Believe It's Your First Time
    Trying To Get The Feelin' Again
    ------------------------------------------------
    Lovelines
    If I Had You
    When Time Was All We Had
    Calling Your Name Again
    Sandy

Those are, with an exception or two, largely among the most forgettable of Carpenters repertoire. I'd say the single most regrettable exclusion is "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song".

Now, the other interesting thing is that COLLECTED was compiled from original album tracks taken from the Remastered Classics, which by their very nature, sounded the way the tracks sounded originally on vinyl. So will these tracks be those same "original vinyl" tracks? Or will they include remixes this time?

We'll have to wait and see.