NEW Japanese Documentary

Simon KC1950

Hi everyone a new Japanese Documentary has aired in Japan. I was made aware of this when I woke up this morning by my friend from Japan. It's an hour long and below are some points of interest and the link..

-Richard, John Bettis and Herb Alpert are all on it
-New footage of Karen's tomb (with the flowers, tributes ect. That a few carpenters fans and my friends recently put there and where they met Richard and Mary)

-Biggest for me is seeing Richard playing his mint copy of "Looking For Love" about half way through. It sounds so clear so could even be the copy he used for "From The Top"

アナザーストーリーズ「日本人が愛したカーペンターズ~天才兄妹秘められた物語」5月16日 - Video Dailymotion

Thanks for posting, I had no idea what was going on for most of this but it was great anyway :laugh:. It's a shame the English interviews were overdubbed into Japanese instead of leaving them intact with subtitles.

A few great moments in this new film:

22:20 - I assume that the three ladies filmed were the three little girls in the choir on stage at the Budokan in 1974. It certainly looked that way.
25:17 - that approach to Richard's house reminded me of the first time I ever visited Newville, I felt the same sense of excitement watching this as I did then. It's incredible that his house is so accessible from the front street, the same as Newville was.
29:39 - This was new interview footage to me.
32:55 - Amazing to see Richard gingerly place the needle onto Karen's Looking For Love solo single. The quality was superb, not a hiss or pop to be heard on that 45.
46:54 - A rare interview with Gary Sims, who I think I've only ever seen interviewed in one documentary.
48:25 - Richard thumbs through his hundreds of live concert recordings, mentioning "Las Vegas". We see others listed..."Osaka", "Kobe", "Nagoya", "Yokohama", "Honolulu". Fascinating stuff.

"48:25 - Richard thumbs through his hundreds of live concert recordings, mentioning "Las Vegas". We see others listed..."Osaka", "Kobe", "Nagoya", "Yokohama", "Honolulu". Fascinating stuff."

Imagine what they hold- probably includes the infamous Sedaka/Carpenters duet. I would LOVE to hear that!

"48:25 - Richard thumbs through his hundreds of live concert recordings, mentioning "Las Vegas". We see others listed..."Osaka", "Kobe", "Nagoya", "Yokohama", "Honolulu". Fascinating stuff."

Imagine what they hold- probably includes the infamous Sedaka/Carpenters duet. I would LOVE to hear that!

It would be interesting to see even a "Live" release featuring tracks from those different tapes. I was only able to stream the video at about 144p, so I wasn't able to make out a lot of detail, so for me, at first, it looked like those live recordings were on consumer level audio cassette, but then the close up seemed to go to a more professional tape. Does Richard have each concert on higher-quality multi-track tape, and then just a stereo dub on consumer audio cassette? (Kind of like I have copies of videos that I've worked on in both the highest quality version possible and a lower quality on something like VHS or DVD-R).

Back
Top Bottom