New Sergio Mendes album - March 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that "Mas Que Nada" was on Expo '70 (lani and karen), Greek Theatre (Gracinha and Geri), and Carnival (Gracinha and Bonnie).

I like Waters of March.

I think that this album is what he hoped for in Timeless. Sergio is more upfront and taking over the reins. (Versus answering to will.i.am...)

Mike Blakesley said:
(I consider the Timeless one a remix).
Why? It's not a remix at all, it's a totally new recording.

Probably because I can't stand it. :D Actually it samples the B66 piano, so I consider it a remix. Your mileage may vary.

Sergio is more upfront and taking over the reins. (Versus answering to will.i.am...)
This has happened in the past -- Sergio doing the pop thing, followed by his own thing.

Actually it samples the B66 piano
According to the TIMELESS liner notes, the only songs on the record to sample B66 are "That Heat" and "Loose Ends."

Harry said:

I like the Gracinha sample too on "Catavento"

Harry

Dear Forum Members,

Catavento e Girassol is another GUINGA composition, the 5th.
on a Sergio Mendes album and wonderfull sung by Gracinha,
From the short samples listening so far, strong percussion and a lots of Fender Rhodes sounds from Sergio.

4 Jobim compositions.

I like Natalie Cole’s version of Somewhere in the hills and Lani Hall’s voice sounds good as always .

Good album, but the first few bars in the intro from Waters of March sounds rather simular as one of the tracks from Dom Um Romao’s debut solo album for Muse records in 1973.

All the best,
Sjef Nix (AKA Aqua do Brasil)
All the best

Trevor said:
I can deal with Waters of March. Especially if it sounds like the live version on youtube that has both the portugues and english lyrics... Smoke City did a cool version of Waters of March called: "Joga Bossa" that changed the lyrics but kept the sound.

O morro nao tem vez is a good song - the literal translation is "the hill has no time" which translates into "the slums have no chance"

But another Look of Love? I was so disappointed to hear the Herb Alpert version with Lani. . .

Spanish songs???

It sounds like a bit of a dud to me, and sergio's selling out even more than before!

but 1 or 2 good songs will be nice.

The best version of "Waters of March" I've heard was done by Akiko featuring Swing Out Sister. Trust me on this one. It's a great production.

I'm genuinely excited by the "Dreamers" track, being a Lani Hall fan, as it's really the first recorded work we've heard from her in nearly a decade.

Her BRASIL NATIVO album came out ten years ago in 1998, and other than a Christmas track on Windham Hill Jazz, an appearance on Herb's COLORS album ("The Look of Love"), that's been about it.

There might be an uncredited trace of her singing on Herb's LOST TREASURES on the "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" track, but we don't know when that was recorded.

Just on the :30 sample of "Dreamers" she sounds great. Hopefully we'll get more if this Herb/Lani planned appearance gels into an album.

Harry

My PC is in the shop, so I'm here at Kinkos with earplugs listening to those samples again and again and again. :rotf:

Oh. My. Gawd. :bigeek:

This IS the album we've been waiting for! From these tasty tantalizing sound bytes, This may be the best Sergio album since HORIZIONTE ABERTO. :laugh:

I suspect there will be a lot more Herb and Lani there than just one cut. Herb sounds like he's in 'Somewhere In the Hills' (Hope they toss in some Portugese lyrics in there too) and that's got to be him in "Morning In Rio". And I wouldn't be surprised if Lani is duetting with Gracinha on a few of the cuts. :D

Is the 'bonus track' Zap Mamas' French versions of "Waters of March"? I don't see that in the sound samples. But it's listed in the HMV-Japan listing, with the bonus track 'to be announced'.

Gotta order my CD from Japan and see what happends...but I seem to recall that TIMELESS was supposed to have a bonus cut, too.

No matter. I am jumping out of my skin for this!!! :goodie:

I went to the myspace page and listened to both tracks. Interesting, and different from any other Sergio I've heard. "Y Vamos Ya" is a very sunny number; I wonder who wrote it? "Funky Bahia" was kinda cool, too. Overall, this album interests me much more than Timeless. Sounds like Sergio had a bigger hand in the artistic end of this--Good!

Here is the text of the article from the Myspace page. I also changed the title of this thread to reflect when this album is coming out...for archival purposes, eh?

=================================================

Brazilian music legend Sergio Mendes spins his remarkable magic on his newest recording, Encanto (Enchantment), which is among the maestro's most beautifully realized in his unparalleled career. The collection refines Sergio's singular blend of infectious rhythms and irresistible melodies from the great Brazilian Songbook, with his always thoroughly modern arrangements and masterful production approach. The resulting collection is a bona fide Sergio Mendes classic-- a kaleidoscopic album that underscores the maestro's ear for addictive melodies, as well as his ability to cast incredibly talented singers and musicians from all over the world.

"Every time I make a new record, it's a new adventure." explains the affable Mendes from his Los Angeles home. “My main motivation," he enthuses, "is to record wonderful songs. In the process, I enjoy sharing with the world the diversity of Brazilian music-- both in terms of rhythm and melody."

"This time, I wanted to go full circle. So I decided to begin this journey in my homeland, Brazil. I traveled to Rio and Bahia, meeting a number of old friends that I hadn't played with in quite a while. There's a very special musically creative environment in Brazil, which inspires me tremendously."

Mendes was still living in Brazil during the momentous era between the late '50s and the early '60s when the samba-based bossa nova was born. In fact, he was one of the first practitioners of the new genre, together with composer Antonio Carlos Jobim, guitarist Joao Gilberto and lyricist Vinicius de Moraes.

True to his desire to go back full circle, Mendes recorded four seminal Jobim compositions: a hip-hop version of "Agua De Beber" with Toninho Horta on guitar, Mendes' wife Gracinha Leporace on vocals, and the man himself showcasing his instrumental chops on a bewitching Rhodes solo; "Waters of March," which features Grammy nominated,super talented new artist Ledisi; "Somewhere In The Hills," with vocals by none other than Natalie Cole and Flugel Horn solo by great German jazz artist Till Bronner; and "Dreamer," which marks the first time that former mentor Herb Alpert actually plays the trumpet on a Sergio Mendes album, with brilliant vocals by Lani Hall, Alpert's wife and the original lead singer of Mendes' Brasil ‘66.

But the most daring cover in the entire album is a new version of Burt Bacharach's "The Look Of Love," which Mendes had originally transposed to bossa nova heaven in 1967, when it became his biggest hit with Brasil ‘66. Produced by Black Eye Pea will.i.am, this new interpretation maintains the beguiling melody of the original, bringing the tune to new millennium territory: keeping Sergio's original bass line intro, with crisp drum programming and a sexy rap/vocal by The Black Eyed Peas' Fergie.

"I mentioned 'The Look Of Love' to Will. I was looking for a way to re-do it, with a dance beat that I heard in Brazil(which is very popular, nowadays, with young people down there)which I thought would be great for the song. Will loved the idea and suggested Fergie to sing it. On Timeless, we had reworked 'Mas Que Nada,' presenting it in a different way, and it became an international hit. This time, we did 'The Look Of Love,' 40 years later.

will.i.am's enthusiasm should not come as a surprise. Growing up in Los Angeles, he collected Mendes' original bossa nova classics on vinyl and was influenced by his smooth, pan-Latin approach to creating dance music with sophisticated arrangements and production values. Their 2006 collaboration Timeless distilled the exhilarating feelings that will.i.am experienced recording an album with his longtime idol.

"After we completed Timeless, Will kept asking me: 'When are we going to start record number 2?,' says Mendes with a laugh. "I enjoy working with him because he brings to the mix a musical universe that is very unique. This time, I felt that taking him to Brazil-- back to my roots-- was very important. He got to see the escola de sambas, met Carlinhos Brown and ended up writing a song with him."

Serious Mendes aficionados will recognize Carlinhos Brown as the principal songwriter on Brasileiro, the seminal 1992 session that saw Mendes changing gears and exploring Bahian rhythms and sounds. A virtuoso percussionist, singer and songwriter, Brown has become famous for his funky song structures and deep percussion textures. "Funky Bahia," the song he co-wrote with will.i.am for this CD, is a perfect cross between American mainstream and Brazilian sensibility-- the kind of multi-cultural encounters that the jazz loving Mendes has always favored. It's sung by Will and Siedah Garrett, another Mendes alumna, who sang in Mendes' band in the mid ‘80s and recorded on many of his albums. Also playing on this song (Funky Bahia), as well as several others, are 2 of the greatest musicians of their generation, Sergio's long time friends and collaborators: the virtuoso guitarist Paul Jackson, Jr. and the legendary bassist Alphonso Johnson. Sergio's longtime band members, Mike Shapiro – his drummer for 20 years, brothers Meia Noite and Gibi, percussionists also from Bahia, are also part of this album.

"I've always dreamed of making an album with guest artists from different cultures, singing in their native language, as a way to illustrate the power and magic of Brazilian melodies," he emphasizes. Besides the glorious singing of Zap Mama(in French), the album also includes a rap by Italian super star Jovanotti, as well as a new song by Joao Donato and Joyce - “Y Vamos Ya," –sung in Spanish by Juanes, one of the brightest new stars in contemporary Latin pop.

"I heard about Juanes a couple of years ago and thought that he had a beautiful voice," explains Mendes. "Fortunately, I was able to hook up with him and have him as a guest in this project.”

In fact, there is one element that unifies the songs in Encanto, and that's the joy that can be heard in the voices of Mendes' collaborators. No matter what country, demographic or genre they belong to, they were all thrilled to record with the maestro, which speaks volumes about the timeless appeal of Sergio's unique style.

"There's a sensuality to Brazilian Music, a pure kind of sentiment," he concludes. "The melodies are catchy, the rhythms are intoxicating, the songwriting is peerless and the harmonies are beautiful. There's a freshness to that sound that simply refuses to go away."

But the most daring cover in the entire album is a new version of Burt Bacharach's "The Look Of Love," which Mendes had originally transposed to bossa nova heaven in 1967, when it became his biggest hit with Brasil ‘66. Produced by Black Eye Pea will.i.am, this new interpretation maintains the beguiling melody of the original, bringing the tune to new millennium territory: keeping Sergio's original bass line intro, with crisp drum programming and a sexy rap/vocal by The Black Eyed Peas' Fergie.

Oh God, no!!!

seashorepiano said:

Oh God, no!!!

Check out the link on the Japanese page above. It's got a different sound sample for "The Look Of Love" than the Concord site with more "Fergie".

Harry

I checked it out; thanks for the reference. I still think Fergie takes away from the song. I just don't understand rap and Sergio Mendes.

There is still confusion as to the album's title, with some sites listing ENCANTO, others remaining with MORNING IN RIO. Street dates also remain somewhat nebulous with the Japanese sites sticking with the February 27th date over there, but the US sites are listing anywhere from sometime in March to sometime in April.

I've ordered mine from CD Japan, so hopefully I'll have it by the first of March or so.

Harry

I'm totally loving "Y Vamos Ya". It's got such a sexy, swinging groove with a lush orchestration and passionate vocals. I can see this being a BIG hit in the Latin radio market.

"Funky Bahia" is a bit too Bubblegummy and not quite funky enough for me, but it's still fun.

This sounds like THE summer album of 2008!!! :laugh:

Harry - Do you have a link for CD Japan? I tried finding it and come up empty....I would think it's cdjapan.com but that doesn't work for me.

This might be already posted, "Look of Love" download already started on January 23rd.
According to Universal Music news, Jan.17, two versions of "Look of Love"would be released for download.

According to Nakamura of DREAM COME TRUE, they will appear on the album "Encanto"(Japanese title; "Morning in Rio"), Japanese edition. Song is "Lugar Comum".
Sergio's comment about Miwa Yoshida of DREAM COME TRUE is at Nakamura's blog.
http://blog.dctgarden.com/2008/01/30/post_426.html

According to Universal Music news yesterday, "Lugar Comum" will be available on Japanese release and will be download release except in America and Canada.
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/artist/sergio_mendes/news.html#080130

Sergio Mendes at BlueNote Tokyo
2008 2/6 wed. - 2/12 tue.
http://www.bluenote.co.jp/jp/schedule/index.php?yr=2008&mn=2
http://www.bluenote.co.jp/jp/schedule/detail.php?id=130

Sakura

817.jpg

ENCANTO / MORNING IN RIO
Sergio Mendes

01. The Look of Love feat. Fergie (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) Produced by will.i.am
02. Funky Bahia feat. will.i.am & Siedah Garrett (Carlinhos Brown/will.i.am) Produced by will.i.am
03. Waters of March feat. Ledisi (Antonio Carlos Jobim) Produced by Sergio Mendes
04. Odo Ya feat. Carlinhos Brown (Carlinhos Brown) Produced by Sergio Mendes
05. Somewhere in the Hills feat. Natalie Cole (Jobim/de Moraes/Gilbert) Produced by Sergio Mendes
06. Lugar Comum feat. DREAMS COME TRUE
(João Donato / Gilberto Gil / Additional Japanese lyrics: Miwa Yoshida / Japanese translation of the original lyrics: Mana Kuniyasu) Produced by Sergio Mendes

07. Dreamer feat. Lani Hall & Herb Alpert (A.C. Jobim/G. Lees) Produced by Sergio Mendes
08. Morning in Rio (Toninho Horta) Produced by Sergio Mendes
09. Y Vamos Ya (...Let's Go) (Joao Donato/Joyce) Produced by Sergio Mendes
10. Catavento (Catavento e Girassol) feat. Gracinha Leporace (Ginga/Aldyr Blanc) Produced by Sergio Mendes
11. Acode feat. Vanessa Da Mata(Vanessa da Mata/Sergio Mendes) Produced by Sergio Mendes & will.i.am
12. Agua de Beber feat. will.i.am (Antonio Carlos Jobim) Produced by will.i.am & Sergio Mendes
13. Waters of March (Les Eaux de Mars) feat. Zap Mama (A.C. Jobim/G. Mustaqui) Produced by Sergio Mendes
14. Y Vamos Ya (...Let's Go) feat. Juanes (Joao Donato/Joyce) Produced by Sergio Mendes

Harry

The album has not shown up in our distributor's site, but it's common for smaller labels' product to show up there right close to release date.

Thanks for the link Harry....I should have known it wouldn't be ".com" (D'oh!)

Ok, now I'm REALLY confused. The clip of "Lugar Comum" posted on the Concord link features Jovanotti rapping in Italian (with Gracinha ...I assume...doing back-up). Is there ANOTHER version with "Dreams Come True" instead of Jovanotti on the Japanese release?

The Jovanotti clip is one of my favorites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom